Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

N320 for .40

DRamsey

I'm loading N320 for .40. I'm out of N320 can I use N350 with simular results? I've got 4 lbs of N350 that I don't really have a use for. I'm loading N340 for .38 super.

I've been loading for about a year. I just don't know all the nuance's of the different powders I've copied Jeff Maass' site and tried a bunch of stuff from there. I'm looking for some opinions on N350 for .40 out of a limited gun.

My guess is that N350 is a too slow powder for Limited .40.

I haven't been able to get decent results in .40 with slow powders (tried N340 and N330, and N350 is slower than 340), in terms of good standard deviation and/or extreme spread.

I'd rather use N350 for loading major .38 SA.

I used to use it in a para w/ 200 gr. bullets.

It's not the ideal set up, but it will work. If nothing else, use it for practice just to get rid of it. Or maybe you could trade it to another shooter for something more useful.

Tried it, it works & at lower major, is a very very safe load (i.e. no primer flattening or pressure signs). Compared to a 165PF load with N320, perceived recoil is a lot heavier & there is more muzzle blast. I found the extra recoil seemed to slow me down; the extra blast was distracting. Otherwise fine. D.

My guess is that N350 is a too slow powder for Limited .40.

I haven't been able to get decent results in .40 with slow powders (tried N340 and N330, and N350 is slower than 340), in terms of good standard deviation and/or extreme spread.

I'd rather use N350 for loading major .38 SA.

Second that!!!

Henny.

It will work - put the bullets into the targets - but with much more "rocket effect" which is powder burning well after the bullet is gone. Minimizing rocket effect is why so many limited shooters use faster powders like N320 to begin with.

Better to buy more N320 or Titegroup, and trade the N350 for more of the same. If someone has WinSuperLite, that's the same thing as TiteGroup.

Stay away from Clays. The number of 40cal guns that can run Clays without problems is very small - a lucky few.

Vhitavouri's reloading manual lists the following:

Speer 180g HP

Small Pistol Primers

5.9g N350

1047fps

That is a starting load, the data moves up to 6.7g and 1142fps. The minimum is 100fps over what is needed to make PF.

dramsey,

I've used n340 and in my opinion that powder was to slow for .40, the n350 is even slower. I would try to trade or sell the n350 for something else.