Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Affordable "Accurate Enough" Bullets

Pensfan

Hey everyone, thanks for looking!

I just purchased my first press, a Dillon 650 from Brian's store, and it arrived yesterday. So I am in the process of setting it up and getting everything ready here for my new ammo factory haha. I am taking a reloading class next week, have read the Lyman 47th book, and researched the heck out of everything and feel ready to make the first pulls soon.

Now the real question... I am on a very tight budget, which is why I started reloading to begin with, and am looking for a good source of affordable, yet still accurate, bullets. I will be shooting USPSA Production as a mid-tier C shooter, hitting B later this summer. I shoot a CZ 75B in Production Class and plan on using Titegroup for my powder. I have a tendency to clean my pistols after every range trip just out of my own habits. I like the feel of 124gr bullets, however right now I am shooting Atlanta Arms 147gr practice rounds and I like the feel of them as well.

What bullets are going to be the most affordable, yet still shoot well with the above setup? In all honesty, I can learn to shoot anything so no worries about 115, 124, 147 etc.

Thanks!

I use Zero bullets for everything. I don't run anything down my barrels other than bullets. If I take a wet patch and run it down there a couple times it looks like a mirror. With that said I've seen a lot of shooters using Bayou bullets around here and Black Bullet Internationals as well. Be prepared to clean your barrel though as I've seen some build up with coated bullets, but no more than shooting lead.

I recommend Bayou Bullets 135 gr. I shoot that bullet in production with 3.9 gr of AA2 @ and OAL of 1.130. Accuracy is great and power factor is 130. You can use 3.4 gr of Tightgroup also, but AA2 was cleaner and more accurate. The coating on Bayou Bullets won't come off like Moly coated bullets and it leaves your barrel clean. I shoot a Shadow by the way.

I like 124gr Montana Gold JHP's but I have to seat them really short (1.085") otherwise they'll hit the rifling and lock up the gun. Montana Gold's prices went up since I bought my last case so I'm not sure how competitive their cost is these days.

CZ Custom recommends 121gr Zero 38 Super JHP's (.356") with N320 powder @ 1.100". I forget the exact load but I believe it was right around 4gr. Zero's can be hard to come by and pricier than Montana Gold.

I just purchased a Dillon 650. I am on a very tight budget. What bullets are going to be affordable, yet still shoot well? I can learn to shoot anything

Pen, the 115's tend to be cheaper than heavier bullets.

Lead tends to be cheaper than jacketed.

Buying in BULK (real large quantities) is cheaper than

buying in smaller lots.

First step is to find The Bullet that you like - is accurate,

feeds well, etc. Start with small samples of the cheapest

bullets you can find, and try them.

Once you've found YOUR favorite bullet - buy them in HUGE

quantities.

When comparing prices, don't forget to add in shipping

charges, if any.

I like the MG 124 JHP's for my TruBor 9mm major, so I

bought 6 cases from Manny Bragg for a huge savings -not

sure what the current price is - I bought it a year ago.

:cheers:

For USPSA production (CZ 75 D PCR COMPACT)I have been using Berry's 147s over 4 gr of Clays. Very nice, but the price difference over Bayou Bullets is not worth it...will go back to Bayou bullets after the Berry's is gone.

SNIPPED SAGE WISDOM

Exactly the process I was looking at myself Hi-Power Jack. I emailed Bayou about a sample pack of their two 9mm and will pick up about 100rds of a few others. Once I find the ones my CZ likes, I will likely buy 10K of them to save some cash over the long run.

For USPSA production (CZ 75 D PCR COMPACT)I have been using Berry's 147s over 4 gr of Clays. Very nice, but the price difference over Bayou Bullets is not worth it...will go back to Bayou bullets after the Berry's is gone.

Thanks Marc82Much... this is for the CZ I picked up from you by the way. :) She is shooting GREAT. Top notch pistol.

:)

I've tried them all, and of course, the Hornady 124 grain, XTPs were the most accurate, also, the most expensive. Zero 125 grain, jhp .356 has been my standard bullet for years, but, with their spotty availability, and their price increase from like $80k, to $110k, got me to switch to Precision Delta, 124 grain jhp, at $85k. All of the bullets listed will do 2 1/2" at 75 yards out of my open guns, and about 1 1/2" at 25 yards out of my M&P Pro.

MGs, Rainer, Bayou, and Berrys haven't come close, as far as accuracy, out of my guns.

I recommend Bayou Bullets 135 gr. I shoot that bullet in production with 3.9 gr of AA2 @ and OAL of 1.130. Accuracy is great and power factor is 130. You can use 3.4 gr of Tightgroup also, but AA2 was cleaner and more accurate. The coating on Bayou Bullets won't come off like Moly coated bullets and it leaves your barrel clean. I shoot a Shadow by the way.

+1 on the 135gr Bayou Bullets, my Shadow loves them. My open gun shoots them well at minor velocity well 157pf is what I like cause it feels like your shooting a mojor load, in cycle speed, but softer. I use either WST or N320 for production minor, and use Autocomp for the open minor loads.

The Shadow just ties the holes together at 15 yards free style.

124 PD JHP seated short to around 1.08 OAL with 4.05 gr of TG is a good load from my Shadow.

I use the same bullet and OAL with 4.8 grains of N340 and prefer this load for its accuracy, but it's more costly.

PDs JHP in bulk are one of the cheapest jacketed bullet options, and more accurate for me than MGs.

Edited by mizer67

Hey everyone, thanks for looking!

I just purchased my first press, a Dillon 650 from Brian's store, and it arrived yesterday. So I am in the process of setting it up and getting everything ready here for my new ammo factory haha. I am taking a reloading class next week, have read the Lyman 47th book, and researched the heck out of everything and feel ready to make the first pulls soon.

Now the real question... I am on a very tight budget, which is why I started reloading to begin with, and am looking for a good source of affordable, yet still accurate, bullets. I will be shooting USPSA Production as a mid-tier C shooter, hitting B later this summer. I shoot a CZ 75B in Production Class and plan on using Titegroup for my powder. I have a tendency to clean my pistols after every range trip just out of my own habits. I like the feel of 124gr bullets, however right now I am shooting Atlanta Arms 147gr practice rounds and I like the feel of them as well.

What bullets are going to be the most affordable, yet still shoot well with the above setup? In all honesty, I can learn to shoot anything so no worries about 115, 124, 147 etc.

Thanks!

Just my own experience. 147's shot 2-3" high in my CZ75 SP01-Shadow with fixed rear sight. I went to Frontier 124's over 3.95 titegroup, 1.10 OAL and they are now dead on at 20 yards. 130 PF

Joe

• 3 weeks later...

Darrell

I will try your recipe with my trojan. Previouslyi am using 147 gr , 3.6 titegroup

I second the recommendation for Bayou bullets.

They smell like burning tires when you shoot them indoors, but they have minimal leading and Donnie makes a great product!

Just bought 3.5k 124gr from him last month. I load them with 3.8gr of Titegroup at 1.15 OAL and they shoot great.

I second the recommendation for Bayou bullets.

They smell like burning tires when you shoot them indoors, but they have minimal leading and Donnie makes a great product!

Just bought 3.5k 124gr from him last month. I load them with 3.8gr of Titegroup at 1.15 OAL and they shoot great.

Some says smells like burning electrical wire