Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New XD shooter

Recently started shooting the XD9 5inch in USPSA production division. Bought it when springfield was doing their gear up promo so I have 5 mags and 2 plastic double mag holders.

Any advice as far as tuning, modifications(production legal of course), or gear tips would be great.

main questions:

Best sights to buy?

Stick with the springfield mag pouches?

My humble opinion would be, dump the stock mag pouches when you can afford to, they don't present the magazines correctly and they take up a great deal of belt real estate, look at a trigger job to smooth out the probably lousy factory trigger. As for sights, that's a purely personal thing. Some folks love fiber optics, others hate them, so if possible look at other competitors sight setups and see what works for you.

Edited by jdphotoguy

Agree with previous. I shoot and XDm9 in production and my buddy shoots an XD40.

--Trigger

is the number one thing I could recommend to ramp up your game quickly. Makes a world of difference. It's not just the lighter pull, it's the extremely short pretravel/takeup, virtually zero overtravel, and very short reset. Powder River Precision or Springer Precision are great choices for XD's. Can't go wrong with either. They both have several different trigger options.

--Mag release

a very simple and cheap modification. Extended mag releases are usually 25-30 bucks and are a 5 minute install easily worth every penny. Speeds up reloading and movement in general by not forcing you to have to shift your grip nearly as much to release the mag. Again Powder River Precision or Springer Precision each have one.

--Sand or rubber grip tape

may not be for you, but there are some very thin-fitting sand or rubber grips offered by Powder River Precision specifically for XD's that do not add very much bulk at all to the grip. I personally prefer sand, but your mileage may of course vary.

--Sights

Personally I still use the white dots and don't have issues with them yet, and I'm about 6 months into USPSA competing. I have touched them up to make them brighter, but that's about it. Like the previous poster said, get a hold of someone else with FO sights who will let you shoot their firearm, and see if you like it. It's not that I don't like them, I just don't feel like my white dots slow me down yet, and I'd rather put the money into ammo ;) In any case if you decide to go with sights, Dawson precision is a popular choice for XD's.

--Mag pouches

as the previous poster are terrible (stock). If you don't have the money to spring for individual mag pouches, I use these double pouches: http://www.cdnninvestments.com/be92rsrdemag.html which are more than sufficient and are incredibly cheap.

--Holster

stock holster is fine.

Here's the PRP Site: http://powderriverprecision.com/

And the Springer Precision site: http://www.springerprecision.com/

My personal setup is PRP Ultimate match trigger, PRP Ext mag release, PRP X-Treme grips traction sand.

Feel free to ask anything else.

I agree with JD. There are lots of awesome mag pouches out there. If your shooting production, you need lots of mags, and lots of mag pouches. I recommend a good belt like a CR Speed belt, and about 5 or 6 single mag pouches that don't take alot of room like either blackhawk open top singles or safariland 773's. Better sights are a must. I recommend a higher profile target sight, or possibly a solid black and fiber tube front. Hienie and Warren are what I prefer, but sights are a personal thing. The trigger on the XD is pretty good, but it can be improved. And you might check out comp-tac or blade-tech for an awesome kydex holster.

Also XDTalk.com is a good resource. Just use the search function, there are thousands of XD-specific questions. Not much competition focus over there, but plenty of modification questions combined with the knowledge base over here will probably answer most of what you want to know.

Edited by Jeanjacket

Thanks for the advice Jean and Lee. I will definitely be looking for the mag release. I put some skate tape on my grip and that has been working well so far. The mag pouches need to go though, i am sure of it now.

I checked out XDtalk. great for general stuff but not really for the competition stuff.

Will be checking out the other links.

Anyone feel free to share more advice!

Thanks for the advice Jean and Lee. I will definitely be looking for the mag release. I put some skate tape on my grip and that has been working well so far. The mag pouches need to go though, i am sure of it now.

I checked out XDtalk. great for general stuff but not really for the competition stuff.

Yeah I never even tried using the opposite-facing mag pouches. Doesn't make sense -- Don't really understand why SA did that..

Yeah I never even tried using the opposite-facing mag pouches. Doesn't make sense -- Don't really understand why SA did that..

It works for both right and left hand shooters.

Rich

Don't forget to checkout Canyon Creek.

It works for both right and left hand shooters.

Rich

Don't forget to checkout Canyon Creek.

Ah! Never thought of that. I suppose it makes a wee bit of sense since the cant is not adjustable. But even without cant I still say they should have just made both straight up if they wanted universality... Anyway yeah Canyon Creek is another good one, as well as http://www.pistolgear.com/

Edited by Jeanjacket

I'm still running the stock mag pouches just because I have not found anything I like better in my price range. But I really should do something different. I am running an XDm 5.25 with down-loaded .40 for USPSA Production and Outlaw 3-Gun. I ran a XDm 3.8 for several months before I upgraded to the 5.25. I like the longer sight radius but can't honestly say the "better" sights help me a whole lot. I did put the Pwder River Ultimate trigger in because the factory trigger was terrible. I have 4 XDm .40s (3.8C, 3.8, 4.5 & the 5.25) and the 5.25 had the worst trigger of the bunch. The PR trigger is light-years ahead of the previous trigger. That said, the factory trigger in all three of my other guns is not all that bad so maybe I just got a bad one in the 5.25. I used a Safariland ALS (thumb-break) with the 3.8 and was pretty fast as it was nautal for me to manipulate for me. I use a Bladetech DOH with the 5.25 and like it a lot. I have seen guys run the stock holster in matches and they do well with it. I say shoot the thing for a few months and see how you feel before spending money (I know that is hard to do).

I am shooting an XDm 5.25, and at first I was using the XD holster and mag pouches, but have recently made some upgrades.

A good belt is money well spent, I am using the CR Speed 2 piece belt, really like it, nice to know all your gear is in the same spot each time.

I got two of the double pouches Jean posted a link to (thought I got a good deal at $15 shipped each on ebay....) For the money I think they work great, all I have done with them is cut the paddle so they can fit side by side and they dont really need the "paddle" with them mounted on the stiff CR Speed belt.

I just upgraded to the Blade Tech DOH holster, getting use to the different mounting position of it, I have an issue with my thumb jamming into when gripping the gun fast, dont recall having that issue with my other holsters.

If you are handy with tools I would say get the PRP Ultimate Trigger Kit, I installed this myself (world of difference), just take your time and follow the youtube video, pretty straight forward, the most time consuming part for me filing the trigger for the over travel stop. At the same time I installed the .100 extended mag release.

For me the front sight blade was too thick, could not see enough day light around it in the post, so I had a thinner Dawson front sight installed, but have not been able to get out and shoot it yet.

I installed the PRP rubber grip stickers, a friend had the grip type style, and was a little to agressive for my taste right now.

As long as it only extends the length of the release and does not increase the surface area of the button, that is my understanding.

That is correct. Meaning you can get an "extended magazine release" which only extends the button outward, but NOT an "oversized extended magazine release" which both extends and enlarges the button.

So yes, the extended release is production legal.

Edited by Jeanjacket

I have been using the stock mag holders for years...I like how they leave a little extra room between them

You Gotta get a Bladetech DOH holster though

Trigger job is essential...let a gunsmith do it ...the drop ins are ok, but the 'smith jobs are butter

Use Any of the 3 forum sponsors...I am loyal to Rich at CC, but the others are good too

Jean, Thanks for the clarification, i will be ordering one.

wayne, The offset kind of bugs me. don't like how they are not angled in a uniform way. when you talk about the trigger job. do you mean a drop in vs. a gunsmith working on the stock trigger? or a gunsmith installing the new trigger and working on it?

Again, thanks for all the input or advice everyone. If any of you think of something else to add... go for it.

I am glad I went with the PR Ultimate "Gunsmith" fit version instead of the drop in. One big reason is one part (the triangle shapped piece) they said may have to be fitted in the Ultimate kit did not need any fitting in mine. That tells me that the same part in the "drop in" configuration would allow more "slop" since it must be under or over sized in some areas to be "drop in". I hope that made sense. My gunsmith who installed it did tell me that he thought he could have polished the factory sear and got me real close so if I do another XDm I may buy the kit without the sear and save some bucks. Oh, he is a GOOD friend so I am not paying for his time! I know this, I am pretty handy but I would not try installing it on my own. Sanding the trigger stop is kind of two-man operation. We taped the frame and one of us held a little pressure on the trigger while the other pulled the abrasive cloth back and forth. It took more time than I initially figured but turned out great.

Yea I had to do a little sanding on the sear as well, had to narrow it up a little so the parts moved individually from each other, and I had to file down the tab slightly so the grip safety worked properly. I think as long as you take your time and follow the video it is not that big of a deal, but then I am the tinkering type ;-)

You are obviously a discerning competitor having chosen an XD-9 Tactical. Of course I may be a bit biased. ;)

As several have said the top priority is a trigger job. Add Canyon Creek to the list of great XD pistolsmiths. Several have drop-in kits you can install yourself which will save you about a $100 of shippping costs.

A CR-Speed or Double Alpha belt and mag pouches from one or the other is the way to go. I have a mix of products from both and there is no difference in quality and just a bit in style.

I used the OEM holster for quite a while but it was a better version than the current model. I switched to a Bladetech DOH to avoid the paddle mount if nothing else.

I have a .100 fiber optic sight on the front and an adjustable rear sight. I personally like that setup alot but it is definitely an individual decision.

You'll want at least 5 mags and fortunately they are relatively inexpensive.

Other than that just shoot the darn thing. That lifetime warranty and Springfield's excellent customer service make owning their guns an enjoyable and long-term experience.

Edited by XD Niner

Jean, Thanks for the clarification, i will be ordering one.

wayne, The offset kind of bugs me. don't like how they are not angled in a uniform way. when you talk about the trigger job. do you mean a drop in vs. a gunsmith working on the stock trigger? or a gunsmith installing the new trigger and working on it?

Again, thanks for all the input or advice everyone. If any of you think of something else to add... go for it.

Send it out...they all approach the trigger job slightly differently, but it will be much better than the drop ins

I bought a 4.5 XDM from a forum member that had a drop in trigger in it...he told me it was fantastic....I pulled it once and put the gun in a box and shipped to Canyon Creek....it was no where near a CC custom trigger that I was accustomed to

As for mag angles...I see you point, but it makes no difference to me.....when I shoot limited, all my mags are at a slightly different angle anyway

I guess it's not enough to make me spend 100$ on mag holders

Replace the striker retaining pin with a Powder River pin. If you dry fire a lot, which you should be doing, the stock pin will eventually break. If you want to lighten the trigger pull a bit, but don't really want to spend the money on a trigger job, go to a lighter striker spring, but you'll have to use soft primers..Federal is recommended. Springer sells the light spring.

If you're serious about getting into competition, buy a second gun and set it up just like the other one. Something will eventually break, and you'll still have another gun to shoot while the other one is in the shop.

I dont have the income to buy a back up gun or send a gun in to get work unfortunately... who makes the best drop ins?

Springfield Armory doesn't charge anything for repairs, and they'll pay for the shipping. I know what you mean on the backup gun expense. My only backup for a long time was a XD Service model which I don't like much. I recently got another Tactical model. Now, I want a 3rd Tactical that would be my experimental gun....go figure!

One gun is enough to have fun.

Good Luck, and Happy Shooting,

Chris

I dont have the income to buy a back up gun or send a gun in to get work unfortunately... who makes the best drop ins?

People that tell me to buy a backup... I always tell them that if I did have enough money to buy a backup... I'd just end up buying a different, new gun lol.

I think PRP may be the only people to make drop-ins.. and I believe they have two.

Sorry, you meant for a trigger upgrade, not repairs. I've been following the XD forum for quite a while, and I've read over and over again that PRP is the way to go for do it yourself jobs. Having said that, I've shot XD Niner's gun, and the trigger is very nice. He had Rich at Canyon Creek do his, if I'm not mistaken.

I'm somewhat tempted to try the $100.00 drop in from PRP, but I'm afraid that I'll screw it up. With my tight shooting budget, I think I'd rather spend the extra cash to have it done right by Rich at Canyon Creek, PRP, Springer, or the Springfield Armory Custom Shop, and not worry about wasting my $100.00. But that's me. Others on this forum with no gunsmithing experience have succesfully done the PRP job themselves.

To each his own, but for me the stock sights bothered me more than the trigger, and that's where I spent my money. Hopefully, before the end of the year the budget will allow for a trigger job. But, I'm still using a single stage press, and at 25,000 to 30,000 rounds a year, what should be the priority; a trigger job, or progessive press! There is always something...it can be an expensive sport.