Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why Use Case Lube?

I was loading some test rounds tonight to take to the range and chrono this week. Actually the test involved mixing headstamps to see how stable my PF would be if I decided to quit sorting,so I was loading 20 or 30 of each with the same recipe.

After getting the brass together I dumped it in the case feeder a,d pulled the lever. It was obvious I had forgotten the OneShot! Running a Udie without lube is ridiculous for one thing, but what I learned next was amazing.

My oal was set at 1.168ish and generally is pretty close. This batch varied from 1.168-1.174. I knew I could blame some of it on the mixed brass but that was terrible.

So I did another batch with lube and got about 75% in the 1.168-1.169 range with the rest being around 1.171.

Moral of the story? Case lube gave me much tighter oal tolerances and makes the press ten times easier to operate!cheers.gif

And FWIW I still prefer sorting by headstamp. Each brand felt different during priming and even though minor there is a difference in oal between brands with Win being the longest in my test.

When I chrono I'll post back with the results of both batches.

What caliber was this?

When I started I never used lube. I figured carbide dies, clean brass, save the mess. Once I tried using lube, I won't go back and OneShot is awesome for pistol. It makes the press so much easier to use. I load 9mm minor, 40 major and 45 major and havn't really seen a need for case sorting. Maybe for match brass for a big match. I can't see buying new brass for a major and throwing it away, but that's just me.

Edited by MustangGreg66

I refuse to not load with lube. Hell, i use 1 quick One shot squirt, and 2 Squirts Dillon with a batch of brass. ( gallon ziplock and 2-300 pcs of brass) I get good OAL range, the press runs smooth.

When i use WIN brass, which i use for my Bianchi loads, i also get very little OAL variation.

When I first saw the title to this thread, I had a brief inspiration for the, "You know you're a shooter when . . ." thread. :roflol:

But back the point. Case lube helps prevent fatigue. Of the brass, of the dies, but also OF ME.

Spending just a few minutes of prepping the cases with lube makes a huge difference in how much effort it takes to resize the cases and expand the necks.

Mine runs fine with the lube left on as one shot leaves very little residue. I will say this though. They run through the case gauge much better if you hand tumble them in a towel with some mineral spirits. The lube is just tacky enough to attract loose powder etc which gums it up over time.

But back the point. Case lube helps prevent fatigue. Of the brass, of the dies, but also OF ME.

Spending just a few minutes of prepping the cases with lube makes a huge difference in how much effort it takes to resize the cases and expand the necks.

+1

I also prefer to tumble the loaded rounds for about 10-15 minutes to clean off any residue.

On the 550 the timing works out. while I load a hundred, I'm tumbling the last hundred. I have to stop every hundred to reload the primer feed so it all works out for my little system of doing things.

Just wondering, as I've heard different ideas but how do you lube the cases? Case block? Ziplock bag?

Personally I use a ziplock like DWFAN said

I use a plastic "Shed Spred" margerine tub. Throw in the clean brass, spray briefly, and shake the container to spread it around.

When I originally learned the tip of using lube for handgun rounds (in Enos' Competition Reloading video, I think), he just used a small cardboard box.

I run the loaded rounds through my vibratory cleaner for ~5 minutes to clean off the lube afterwards.

i use an old towel, spread the brass on the towel, and be sure they al on their side, then put 1 or 2 sprays of case lube or a little bit of teflon spray on it, close the towel and give it a shake, put in the casefeeder and you good to go.

Just wondering, as I've heard different ideas but how do you lube the cases? Case block? Ziplock bag?

Personally I use a ziplock like DWFAN said

Gallon Ziplock here as well. Short blast of one shot, shake, drop in casefeeder.

The reason I ask is because there was one person on another forum who is adamant that he had a "pile of" primer failures because of getting lube into the primers. Anyone seen anything like that?

The reason I ask is because there was one person on another forum who is adamant that he had a "pile of" primer failures because of getting lube into the primers. Anyone seen anything like that?

First I think if you are having primer issues you are using the wrong lube. Lubes designed for loading typically won't hurt a primer whereas stuff like WD 40 will kill them.

Second I can't imagine lube, when used properly, even getting deep inside a case and causing problems.

With the One Shot I only lightly coat the inside of the bag then dump in brass. It is only touching the outside of the case and it's not nearly enough lube that it is running on the brass. Just a fine coating.

First I think if you are having primer issues you are using the wrong lube. Lubes designed for loading typically won't hurt a primer whereas stuff like WD 40 will kill them.

Second I can't imagine lube, when used properly, even getting deep inside a case and causing problems.

With the One Shot I only lightly coat the inside of the bag then dump in brass. It is only touching the outside of the case and it's not nearly enough lube that it is running on the brass. Just a fine coating.

Thats what I do Sarge .. And I mentioned that same idea .. He was adamant that the lube had messed up his primers. I will have to dig up that conversation thread and post .. He was almost argumentative about it

A friend of mine stands them on end and purposely sprays the the mouths of the cases. He believes that the machine runs better with a little lube in the mouth of the case so the powder die doesn't bind after belling. He's run 100k+ w/o any primer issues.

My preference is to spray the sides only. I use disposable tin-foil pans that we seem to accumulate from takeout. Two of them stacked is pretty rigid. I fill the tray, lay them all on their sides and then spray a lot of One Shot. Next I roll them side-to-side a couple of times to coat. This ends up about the right amount for one dump into a Dillon hopper.

A friend of mine stands them on end and purposely sprays the the mouths of the cases. He believes that the machine runs better with a little lube in the mouth of the case so the powder die doesn't bind after belling. He's run 100k+ w/o any primer issues.

My preference is to spray the sides only. I use disposable tin-foil pans that we seem to accumulate from takeout. Two of them stacked is pretty rigid. I fill the tray, lay them all on their sides and then spray a lot of One Shot. Next I roll them side-to-side a couple of times to coat. This ends up about the right amount for one dump into a Dillon hopper.

I have used One-shot with the Zip-loc bag method,and have also with brass standing on end so I could be sure to get lube inside the neck. Never a misfire of a primer either way. I was always careful to make sure the lube had dried completely if I sprayed it inside.

Wonder how the guy got lube into the primer -- WAYYY too much lube, or spraying the lube into primed brass?

Edited by Punkin Chunker

I think there is a thread where members here put that to the test. And, de-bunked it.

I dump my brass in the feeder and spray some into the bin. Stri up the brass and give it a few more shots. Never had a problem.

This is what I do also, thousands of rounds with no problems. Sometimes will get a dry round that takes more effort.

I think there is a thread where members here put that to the test. And, de-bunked it.

That's what I figured. Thanks!

When I have Hornady OneShot- I lay my cases on the side in the box and give them a spray or two. I like Oneshot because it doesn't leave much residue at all. I think Dillon lube makes the job a little easier on the arm with 9mm but I don't like leaving that lube on the ammo. I'll wipe it down.