Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Youngs super light chrome bolt carrier

Blaster

More people seem to swear by the JP low mass carrier and buffer than they do the Youngs.

Loki has also come out with a low mass carrier, buffer, gas block kit that they're putting in their new 3-gun rifle. It's so new right now that I haven't seen any reviews as of yet. I asked the owner when they would sell their low mass setup seperately and he doesn't have a date set for it yet.

The JP has been out for much longer than the YM Superlight. I got the YM because it has forward assist notches, but I've never had to use them so I'm not sure that is much of a needed feature. I've been 100% happy with the YM, and I'm sure my next upper will be from JP with their carrier. Both the JP and YM have more bearing surface than a standard carrier. I don't know anything about the Loki.

I went with the Young. I had friends that let me borrow both before purchasing. I could not tell a difference between the two. I shot 100 reloads and 100 factory loads. Both functioned flawlessly with the factory ammo, but the JP had 5 FTF with reloads. The friend that let me borrow his JP reloads as well and has not had any problems. The decision was easy for me.

I have a Young SLC with a JP low mass rifle buffer, just used it in my first match yesterday. It worked perfectly, and am very happy with it.

However, after I bought it I chose to go with a JP barrel and adjustable gas block for the rest of my build so I probably could have got a package with JP's bolt carrier for about the same price. Live and learn I guess.

The only thing left to improve on my rifle is the loose nut behind the trigger. That needs a lot of work still.

• 3 months later...

+1 for YM here. I've got around 1000 rounds on my SLC and haven't had any issues at all. I too have the JP LM buffer installed. I'm putting together another upper and trying to decide on bolt/carrier. Any thoughts on the YM carrier with the JP "Enhanced Bolt"? I like having the FA notches in the event that the carrier ever goes into another upper (Using the MUR this time, so they will be totally pointless).

I have both, they both work great. Pick the one you want off of looks, features, proximity or price. Keep in mind, depending on your gas port you may/will have to tune either one with an adjustable gas block and/or buffer weight.

I took a JP SLC out of one AR with FA, just because I was building another without a FA, and put the YM SLC in it.

No difference between the two as far as functioning or feel,just now I can use the forward assist that I never need. :wacko:

The YM carrier has run for the last year and a half trouble free.

Edited by Rennie

The JP has been out for much longer than the YM Superlight. I got the YM because it has forward assist notches, but I've never had to use them so I'm not sure that is much of a needed feature. I've been 100% happy with the YM, and I'm sure my next upper will be from JP with their carrier. Both the JP and YM have more bearing surface than a standard carrier. I don't know anything about the Loki.

The Loki and the Spikes have the standard amount of bearing surface = NO way I would run one. The Youngs does have more, but the JP has the most and is lighter than the Youngs super light. Any manufacturer who understands anything about the system would only offer a lightened carier with additional bearing surface. Sorry to state the obvious!

YM also doesn't steak their gas key's on their carriers FYI.

I have two YM carriers. One's staked, one isn't. :huh:

The fact that it's not staked doesn't bother me in the least. I'm not sure I don't prefer it, if one of the bolts break I'd like to know it. Not have the staked in head stay put, short stroking with no evidence of why.

The Loki and the Spikes have the standard amount of bearing surface = NO way I would run one. The Youngs does have more, but the JP has the most and is lighter than the Youngs super light. Any manufacturer who understands anything about the system would only offer a lightened carier with additional bearing surface. Sorry to state the obvious!

+1

i have both Youngs super light and JP LMOS. the bearing surface of the JP obvously more and lighter than youngs. i have 3 LMOS and 1 youngs slc just to say the least :)

• 5 months later...

I've had a YNM for a couple years and it has been great. I shoot it in a JP lower and use a JP barrel, so I support those guys too. Someone on these boards recommended the Youngs when I was doing my build, and it has been great. They are so easy to clean. Just wipe them down, and they look like new again. Performance has been flawless. Have never had a FTF, ever. I'm using it it conjunction with a Vltor Emod stock kit. I'm sure that either one would work good for you, but I really do appreciate how good mine has run.