Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Indoor or outdoor ranges: which one do you shoot better at?

ProGunGuy

Outdoors. Inside the noise is too confined and the smoke concentration is higher especially with those shooting that smokey stuff (you know who you are :angry2:) Outside you can concentrate more on your own game with less distraction(and without knowing what the other guy ate for lunch :angry2:). It's best in the great outdoors. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely outside. I can't see my front fiber at all indoors and there's little contrast between black sights brown target indoors with Mr. Sun.

Also shooting outdoors dissipates lead bullet smoke much faster. When I'm indoors I feel like I'm standing in my own personal smoke screen.

Indoor lighting can be inconsistent and picking up a fiber optic front sight can be difficult at times. Shooting outdoors is more comfortable, unless it's raining. Luckily, I have both options open to me within travelling distance. Evening practice sessions aren't really an option for an outdoor range unless you're lucky enough to belong to a range that has lighting.

I am against the grain......I like indoors.....but not by a lot.....I like that it is very fixed.....no changing shadows or changing with cloud cover.....it is what it is and you shoot it like that......plus it is climate controlled.....that is like shooting in the house...i like that idea.....if i could build my own indoor range then i would never leave......