Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Demonstration of the Shotgun Quad Load

We are not sure who actually came up with this method, or what kind of shell holders he used, but we think it was a guy from Finland. Anyway, a few months ago, one of our Russian customers asked about it. I initially assumed he was talking about the typical 4 round weak hand load. However, he was asking about a 4 round load using 2 sets of stacked shells. It turns out that the FSL8 and FSL12 are very good for this technique. A few of our customers have been able to hit a reliable 3.5 second load using this technique with the FSL8 and FSL12 caddies from Carbon Arms. Like everything shotgun, it is probably not the best for everyone and may only have limited application for those times when you get caught with a standing 8 round reload. However, we think some of the top competitors, with a few months practice will be able to hit 3 second loads...time will tell. The fumble factor for me was about halfway between a weakhand load 4 and a TWinS load. My fumbles ended up with 7 loaded instead of 8 at about the same time as a good load. I was able to take over a second off my typical TWinS load with about 30 minutes of practice. Below is a simple demonstration of the method... I came home, put on the belt and turned on the video...no edits. I am also not trying to go fast, just demonstrate the technique.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark, that's *crazy*. I need to grab my FSL 12 units and try that once my Versa Max gets back from C-Rums on Friday!

Thanks for the video.

Wow....

The VersaMax and SuperNova are the two fastest with this technique. You WILL smile!

Thats a -Kick in the A**!- my finger are a bit sore after the past 10 minutes. I am not under 4 seconds starting with the gun at my face and to get it back to my face. BUT the first time I hit it was a giddy giggle

That is a hoot. the fumble load has me dropping a shell or one popping back out. But I can see this working :devil:

Jamie

OH FYI I am under 5 seconds dri :blink: I don't even pull the trigger that fast some times

Edited by AlamoShooter

Practiced for about 10 minutes and was able to hit a couple loads in just under 6sec (also bobbled a whole lot due to the unfamiliar technique). My normal TWINS Vest time is high 5sec to low 6sec, so I see this technique being potentially MUCH faster with proper practice. My new goal is to hit 5sec consistently prior to CMMG. Cool - something new to work on!!

Try it while moveing fast about 30 feet across your yard, one time, cold. That is about what you will do in a match.

With two cans of Red Bull to simulate match pressures.

With that being said - I'm sure it can be practiced enough to be repeatable on demand.

(At least as repeatable as weakhand loading which even the best pros bobble from time to time)

Try it while moveing fast about 30 feet across your yard, one time, cold. That is about what you will do in a match.

Still faster and more reliable for me than the weakhand load ever was, but feel free to try it in your yard, mine has a lot of ups and downs.

Mark,

With the twin system, when you pull the two shells out at a time, what is holding them together? Is it the caddy that keeps the shells together, then they are loose once you pull them out? I tried to take a look at Patrick Kelly's at smm3g but he was too busy and I didn't want to bug him.

Edited by suesstech

Mark,

With the twin system, when you pull the two shells out at a time, what is holding them together? Is it the caddy that keeps the shells together, then they are loose once you pull them out? I tried to take a look at Patrick Kelly's at smm3g but he was too busy and I didn't want to bug him.

You are holding them together with your fingers. The geometry of the FSL caddies and SSL clips holds them togehter while they are in the holders. A small gap, or being slightly off axis does not matter too much. With the Quad, same thing, except now you are holding four.

part of the trick is the Thumb bend it , my wires for my video camera/ computer connection have gone missing so I can't load up any video for the time.

The load still works for me with my feet moving across the room. and the fumbled loads are not as bad as the traditional week-hand fumble. = I only louse one shell and the load keeps going for 7 instead of 8.

This is Sick ,my yard will never get mowed now

Suddenly I feel obsolete over night... I've been practicing pretty steady for almost 2 years at weak hand and break 5.0 only once in a while.

Yeah Bryan, don't think about this stuff until after this weekend's match. We will be looking to see your name high up on that standing list!! :devil:

And I'd give vital anatomical parts for a 5.0 load...........

Suddenly I feel obsolete over night... I've been practicing pretty steady for almost 2 years at weak hand and break 5.0 only once in a while.

5.0 is still very good! But I know how you feel. I just got my weak hand reloads figured out (still slow, but can DO them reliably now) and now this comes along. I'll never be one of the cool kids :(