Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moving to Cali

So here's the deal, the Air Force has decided to pcs me to Edwards AFB . Not a big deal, military guys get moved all the time. I problem I have is have to deal with all the crazy Cali bs gun laws. So my question is what classes can you shoot in Cali. Can you have hi-cap mags for competition? Give me the low down.

Thanks in advance

If they owned the big sticks before 1/1/2000, they're perfectly legal.

It's legal to own them.

It's illegal to manufacture, sell, trade or import.

It's legal to borrow if the owner is nearby.

I have been on that suite for a while now. It says no hi-cap mags but then I see guns running open guns with 170 mm sticks. So I figured I'd ask some shooters from Cali

Here's the deal. It is not legal to import, transfer or manufacture hi-cap mags. You can bring them back in if you had legally possessed them in Ca prior to 1 Jan 2000. Some one could loan you some at a match but legally you can not take permanent possession. As some point out, the law is not strongly enforced. I have not heard of any cases since it went into effect. You can roll the dice if you wish but with a security clearance at stake, just getting hassled could get your ticket pulled for a bit. May not help you at work. Like I said, your call. (I am pretty sure most folks at EDW have at least a secret clearance)

The good news is that you can bring in any pistol that is not considered an assault weapon. Us residents have some hijinks to go through to get stuff like STI, etc. Read up on SSE at calguns. You could consider perhaps selling something when you do get here. The non-doj roster firearms have some extra value here.

That said, you can shoot production, revolver, single stack, L-10 and be fully compliant with the law. Open and limited are a bit fuzzy when it comes to mags.

It's best to read up at Cal Guns and the CA DOJ website.

Again, welcome!

Chuck

ChuckS what range and part of the state are you in?

Guy,

I live down in Orange County. The last couple years I was working a project that took me up to EDW fairly often. Unfortunately, I think the closest USPSA to Lancaster is either Ridgecrest, Piru or SWPL (near San Fernando). You can go a bit further to get to Norco. There may be some IDPA closer to you but I don't really know much about that world anymore.

You coming out from Eglin or Hurlburt?

Later,

Chuck

I have found a few clubs about 80 miles average from Lancaster. Not to bad as I drive 132 miles to Tallahasse one way to shoot a monthly match. I'm coming out of Eglin. I was a Emergency Manager (chem bio) but I went to school down here and now I'm an EOD Tech.

I have found a few clubs about 80 miles average from Lancaster. Not to bad as I drive 132 miles to Tallahasse one way to shoot a monthly match. I'm coming out of Eglin. I was a Emergency Manager (chem bio) but I went to school down here and now I'm an EOD Tech.

Things haven't changed. I have had work at Hurlburt on and off over the last 15 years or so and I never found anything closer than Tallahasse or Mobile. Feel free to ask any questions about the matches here. I used to get up to Piru, but when SWPL moved to San Fernando, I don't get up there for pistol very much. That may change as soon as I get my shotgun out of the shop. They have a monthly 3gun match up there...

Later,

Chuck

Good luck with the move and thanks for your service. I grew up in CA but moved to AZ. It's a 180 degree turn in terms of gun laws. Calguns is a good site, a few words of advice. Buy whatever handgun you may want or even consider buying now. It will be almost impossible getting certain handguns. You can legally bring them in. You'll have to read about it in the DOJ website. I thought about moving back and was looking into it a few years back. There are certain stores that are more friendly with CA-legal AR sales. You'll have to ask around. PRK (People's Republic of Kalifornia) in Fresno is one such and is a great store with helpful staff. I have family in Fresno and visit often, no connection to the store.

It will be almost impossible getting certain handguns. You can legally bring them in. You'll have to read about it in the DOJ website. I thought about moving back and was looking into it a few years back. There are certain stores that are more friendly with CA-legal AR sales.

+1 to the above statements, especially with regards to buying guns now before you move rather than waiting till later. For instance, I recently visited my local gun store and they told me that Gen 4 Glocks cannot be sold in Cali. You can buy something like an STI, but you basically have to purchase the bone stock model, wait ten days and take delivery of it as the Cali approved model, then mail it back to STI for whatever modifications you want done on it... which is all just a great big pain in the you-know-what. Not to mention, it's adding lots of needless expense to the purchase. Also, from what I'm told, guns are just a lot less expensive in other states. Here, many dealers start off with MSRP then raise the price to whatever they want, plus you have to pay for a background check, and pay to take a test to prove that you know that guns are dangerous, then pay 10% sales tax, etc., etc., etc.

Having vented on all of that, the USPSA clubs around here are top notch, with some of the best competition in the world. You won't be disappointed when you start going to matches.

It will be almost impossible getting certain handguns. You can legally bring them in. You'll have to read about it in the DOJ website. I thought about moving back and was looking into it a few years back. There are certain stores that are more friendly with CA-legal AR sales.

+1 to the above statements, especially with regards to buying guns now before you move rather than waiting till later. For instance, I recently visited my local gun store and they told me that Gen 4 Glocks cannot be sold in Cali. You can buy something like an STI, but you basically have to purchase the bone stock model, wait ten days and take delivery of it as the Cali approved model, then mail it back to STI for whatever modifications you want done on it... which is all just a great big pain in the you-know-what. Not to mention, it's adding lots of needless expense to the purchase. Also, from what I'm told, guns are just a lot less expensive in other states. Here, many dealers start off with MSRP then raise the price to whatever they want, plus you have to pay for a background check, and pay to take a test to prove that you know that guns are dangerous, then pay 10% sales tax, etc., etc., etc.

Having vented on all of that, the USPSA clubs around here are top notch, with some of the best competition in the world. You won't be disappointed when you start going to matches.

That's SVI, not STI. STI is teaching someone a lesson by not selling here anymore...

• 3 months later...