Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IPSC Classifiers?

Ted Murphy

hello,

some of my shooters want to shoot IPSC matches and have asked about setting up some IPSC classifiers.

It seems straightforward enough: Download the software, have the shooters register aliases, run the classifier, send in the results and pay by credit card.

Is it that easy? Any pitfalls or omissions on my part?

Thanks,

Ted

Rules. :closedeyes:

And those rules may impact your Production shooters the most: No aftermarket parts. Trigger weight requirement. Original factory finish only.

And the rule that will impact everybody equally: Walkthroughs must be empty handed. No sight pictures or dry firing allowed at "Make Ready".

Rules. :closedeyes:

And those rules may impact your Production shooters the most: No aftermarket parts. Trigger weight requirement. Original factory finish only.

And the rule that will impact everybody equally: Walkthroughs must be empty handed. No sight pictures or dry firing allowed at "Make Ready".

Skydiver,

Not quite correct.

Unlike USPSA which uses *Make Ready*, IPSC still uses *Load and Make Ready* for loaded starts and or *Make Ready* for unloaded starts, and there is a difference in the rule especially in 8.3.1.1

USPSA Rule

8.3 Range Communication

The approved range commands and their sequence are as follows:

8.3.1 “Make Ready” – This command signifies the start of “the Course of Fire”. Under the direct supervision of the Range Officer the competitor must face down range, or in a safe direction as specified by the Range Officer, fit eye and ear protection, and prepare the handgun in accordance with the written stage briefing. The competitor must then assume the required start position. At this point, the Range Officer will proceed.

8.3.1.1 Once the “Make Ready” command has been given, the competitor must not move away from the start location prior to issuance of the “Start Signal” without the prior approval, and under the direct supervision, of the Range Officer.

IPSC Rule

8.3 Range Communication

The approved range commands and their sequence are as follows:

8.3.1 "Load And Make Ready" (or "Make Ready" for starts with an unloaded firearm). – This command signifies the start of "the Course of Fire". Under the direct supervision of the Range Officer the competitor must face down range, or in a safe direction as specified by the Range Officer, fit eye and ear protection, and prepare the firearm in accordance with the written stage briefing. The competitor must then assume the required start position. At this point, the Range Officer will proceed.

8.3.1.1 Once the appropriate command has been given, the competitor must not move away from the start location prior to issuance of the "Start Signal" without the prior approval, and under the direct supervision, of the Range Officer. Violation will result in a warning for the first offense and may result in the application of Rule 10.6.1 for a subsequent offense in the same match.

I would advise everyone whom wants to shoot IPSC matches to read the rulebook carefully.

Cheers ....

Yes, but I believe one of the points that Skydiver was trying to make is the sight picture rule.

From the IPSC rulebook:

8.7.1 Competitors are prohibited from taking a sight picture and/or dry firing prior to the start signal. Violation will result in a warning for the first occurrence and one procedural penalty for each subsequent occurrence in the same match. Competitors may, while pointing their firearm at the ground, adjust electronic sights.

I thought the rule used to be you were allowed a sight picture on one target only, because I seem to remember someone at the IPSC Nationals in Columbia, SC last year getting a procedural for taking a sight pitcure on two targets.

They either changed it since last October....or I'm wrong, which is a distinct possibility!

Yes, but I believe one of the points that Skydiver was trying to make is the sight picture rule.

From the IPSC rulebook:

8.7.1 Competitors are prohibited from taking a sight picture and/or dry firing prior to the start signal. Violation will result in a warning for the first occurrence and one procedural penalty for each subsequent occurrence in the same match. Competitors may, while pointing their firearm at the ground, adjust electronic sights.

I thought the rule used to be you were allowed a sight picture on one target only, because I seem to remember someone at the IPSC Nationals in Columbia, SC last year getting a procedural for taking a sight pitcure on two targets.

They either changed it since last October....or I'm wrong, which is a distinct possibility!

Before 01/01/2012 yes you could take a sight picture on single target only,(adjust your DOT for OD), but some decided to target sequence, practice their draws, dry fire many times, etc so the rule was changed.

Cheers ....

The differences in range commands are minimal. Most everyone should be able to deal with that.

Effective 1/1/12 ALL sight pictures, dry firing, etc. went away in IPSC. This is a noticable difference from USPSA.

While some have mentioned the differences in Production and Classic (our SS) Divisions, shooters should be aware there are differences in ALL Divisions. IPSC Standard Division is similar to, but not the same as USPSA Limited. Modified Division disappeared 1/1/12 and was replaced by Classic Division. Maximum mag lengths are different in Open. Also note, the power factors are NOT the same as in USPSA.

Short version ... Folks need to read the IPSC rule book to see what those differences are!

This will be IPSC rules. I was more concerned with the logistics as IPSC HQ is pretty bad at returning emails and phone calls.

Ted

Ted

If I may suggest, and not that there's anything wrong with asking IPSC questions here, but you may get more traction and a more direct response to these specific questions if you were to raise them on the Global Village. That forum is dedicated specifically towards IPSC rules and administration.

I'm not dodging the question ... While I have considerable experience working large international matches as an RO, I have NO experience HOSTING one, especially in the US! Good luck ...