Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Setting up my STI Trojan 5.0 for USPSA and IDPA, need help!

AznDragon533

Hello, I want a gun to shoot USPSA single stack and IDPA CDP

does everything look fine?

Trojan (5") $1,008.00

STI RecoilMaster $75 or Tungsten guide rod $90 ...hard decision

Ambidextrous safety $45

Dawson Fiber Optic Front Sight $39 (not sure what width and height to get)

Brazos Custom

I will send in:

AFTEC Extractor $80

SVI Trigger Insert - Short Flat $19.91

Firing Pin Stop, BCG - Oversized $11

- Trigger job - 3lbs $125

-Polish feed ram and throat barrel $50

-Tune and install extractor $50

aftermarket parts for later:

-Reload: .45 ACP shooting major 230 ball at 172 PF

-DP Ice Magwell -IDPA legal $95

-DP 1911 Posi-Lock Mag Catch, IDPA Length $40

-DP Lo-Pro Mag Button -not sure if this is legal or not.. $13

Estimated Total: $1,700

Any suggestions and tips would help

thanks

I set up my trojan almost the same way. Over 40,000 rounds later i'm still a happy camper. I did have the top of the slide serrated as well as the rear. I also cut the barrel to match the bushing and recrowned. I put in the Brazos trig kit tuned to 2lbs. Aftec,ambi safety,tuned ejector,fiber front sight,SV magwell and wedge mainsring housing. EGW disconnector etc..etc. Sounds like your going to end up with a great competition gun. The STI does well on its own but lets face it we all love those custom touches.

I believe the gun comes with an adjustable rear sight? If so, get the same height replacement FO front.

No experience with the STI Recoilmaster springy thing or the Aftec either. I run tungsten rods in my single stack guns and I've never had a problem with a properly tuned "standard" extractor.

Sounds like you're buying ammunition until you start reloading? If so, make sure you function fire the gun with the ammo you have now. If it doesn't run 100%, you can send a sample to your 'smith and s/he'll make it work along with the rest of the work you're doing.

I'm not reloading yet and had to go through three ammo manufacturers before I found one (DC Ammo - in the Vendor Tents) that runs in my guns.

Other than that, you're looking pretty solid.

I set up my trojan almost the same way. Over 40,000 rounds later i'm still a happy camper. I did have the top of the slide serrated as well as the rear. I also cut the barrel to match the bushing and recrowned. I put in the Brazos trig kit tuned to 2lbs. Aftec,ambi safety,tuned ejector,fiber front sight,SV magwell and wedge mainsring housing. EGW disconnector etc..etc. Sounds like your going to end up with a great competition gun. The STI does well on its own but lets face it we all love those custom touches.

I don't think the STI RecoilMaster is legal in IDPA If you add the tungsten guide rod you will probably not make weight. Sounds like everything else is good to go.

Recoil master is legal in IDPA now....I believe...

what does cutting the barrel and matching the bushing/recrowning really do?

Does the Trojan come "tight" and what LBs springs do you run?

Does the Trojan come "tight" and what LBs springs do you run?

I don't know if those come fitted tight from the factory, but since you mentioned Brazos earlier, I'll suggest Bob L.'s very good article on breaking in new gun here as an excellent primer for your new blaster.

Also, before changing any springs, I'd find out from STI what they deliver with the gun so you know what you started with.

I run a 14# recoil spring in my SS guns and I shoot 230gr that chronos ~175pf. I don't remember the hammer spring weight but it's probably a "reduced power" spring so something less than Colt factory which I think is 22-23#.

Ok, so here I go thinking again. Tungsten guide rods are not legal in idpa, period. An argument can be made that the recoil master might not be legal in single stack, basis being that it's design is not corresponding with that of the godfather, Moses browning. I am not sure on that one, having never tried it.

My Trojan (same gun) came with an oversized fps. You could save some time and $ by ordering it from DP with the "blessed by Dave" package, 200$. Includes trigger job at your preferred weight, polish job, improved frame to slide fit, and extractor tune. His CRP package includes some goodies on your list, DP ice mag well, the mag catch you want and button, the front sight you want, and The front sight you want. That would leave your ambi safety and choice of grips. You could save yourself a couple hundred for those reloads, or get the hard chrome option and end up at about the same. I don't work for the guy or anything, but their customer service is great.

Your money, you wanted options.

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80001324-1326301761

Crp Trojan in .45 : 1189$

Blessed by Dave: 200$

Edited by wes777

To answer the op. Cutting the barrel down and recrowning really was just for the look. I have always loved the custom look of a flush crowned barrel. I run a 9lb spring. Its going to be your gun. Set it up anyway you want. Hell its only a money and that money over the life off the gun is not that much. :cheers:

Few things I learned so far

1. No Tungsten rod or recoil master, so thats out

2. AFTEC Extractor is not needed for .45 acp..

3. DP Mag button is illegal in IDPA

4. I need SVI trigger + the bow

5. Dawson doesnt offer gunsmith work for Crp Trojan

few questions:

Ambidextrous safety - is it really needed? Nighthawks apparently void their warranty if added. And isnt there numerous cases of STI Safeties breaking?

The ambi does make things easier when you are shooting with your offhand. I personally do not have one on any of my 1911 guns, I just do not like them. I flip it off before changing hands, it works for me.

The link that holds both sides together is just a weak link in the setup. Do they always break? No. Do some? Yes. Can a non-ambi break? Yes.

You will find the majority of people that run a 1911 in competition do run an ambi.

I would highly recommend an ambi safety for weak hand use. 14 lb recoil and 17 lb main. Fiber optic front if you prefer, DP magwell is good to go. Remove mag button for IDPA; the catch itself is legal without the button. Don't add any weight to the gun; it's unnecessary.

new subject:

Fixed vs adjustable sights?

I prefer fixed sights, but, I never shot reloads before, how much different will POI make on reloads?

What are you shooting now? and is that ammo shooting POA=POI?

If you plan to reload (or even if you don't), an adjustable rear will certainly make things easier if you start to experiment with different components.

Edited by lumpygravy

I run all of my Single Stack .45s with a 13 lb variable recoil spring and a 17 lb main spring with a 2 lb trigger. Also Dawson magwell and magazine base pads. I prefer ambi safties. I also run the stock front sight with the adjustable rear ( don't like F/O sights).

new subject:

Fixed vs adjustable sights?

I prefer fixed sights, but, I never shot reloads before, how much different will POI make on reloads?

What are you shooting now? and is that ammo shooting POA=POI?

If you plan to reload (or even if you don't), an adjustable rear will certainly make things easier if you start to experiment with different components.

I am shooting factory Ammo right now, federal, 230 grain, or Winchester. just wondering because Dave Sevigny won USPSA single stack with fixed sights..

I am shooting factory Ammo right now, federal, 230 grain, or Winchester. just wondering because Dave Sevigny won USPSA single stack with fixed sights..

Mr. Sevigny could probably win any match he enters with the sights off of a plastic squirt gun :roflol: Remember, fixed sights are still adjustable - just not easily so. You can always change front sight heights and you can drift the front and rear sights to affect your POI.

Here' the deal:

If your ammo shoots POA=POI now with the sights you have and you don't plan on changing that ammo, there's no reason to change your sights.

If, as you mentioned, you plan to reload, the resulting ammo may but also may not shoot to the same POI - especially if you change bullet weights. Here's where an adjustable rear can really make your life easier.