Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What could cause this much muzzle residue?

Joe L

AA#2

Are you saying this amount of residue is normal for some ammo and that there isn't anything wrong with the load or powder choice? If so, that's great, I just don't have much experience with anything but factory ammo. This batch worked great, but the amount of residue was just excessive. I didn't chrono any of it.

Joe

AA#2

You're joking right? I shoot AA #2 with 125 JHP's and I get almost no residue after several hundred rounds. If you're getting that kind of mess it must be the bullets or the lube :cheers:

By the way, the only powder I've ever seen run hot enough to melt a fiber optic sight is TG

Edited by reptoid

The CZ chamber ID is 0.004" larger than the 9mm Bar-Sto at the big end but the same at the small end. My stock SIG barrel is between the CZ and the Bar-Sto. I shot both guns this morning, the CZ shoots Speer Lawman 115 box ammo without residue and the SIG shoots the Atlanta Arms reloads without excessive residue. The Atlanta Arms ammo is noticeably looser in the CZ chamber than in the SIG Bar-Sto chamber. I will just have to use something larger in the CZ or change the barrel.

(Edited the dimensions after taking again on Monday evening.)

Joe

Edited by Joe L

It is caused by a very slow powder still burning as it leaves the muzzle.

Did you notice a large ball of flame as you fired the rounds?

Sometimes it is tough to see as you fire the gun but ask a bystander what they saw.

As the bullet and gases leave the muzzle pressure drops dramatically.

The temperature drops as a function of the pressure drop and the partially burnt

propellent material condenses around the muzzle and slide.

Most of that should just wipe off since it is mostly carbon and propellent residue.

Danny at Atlanta Arms says try the 115 gr reloads, so that is what I am going to do. The gun likes Remington UMC 115 and Speer Lawman (hotter) just fine, so maybe that's the ticket.

I don't think Bar-Sto will make me a barrel, site says no CZ.

Joe

AA#2

You're joking right? I shoot AA #2 with 125 JHP's and I get almost no residue after several hundred rounds. If you're getting that kind of mess it must be the bullets or the lube :cheers:

By the way, the only powder I've ever seen run hot enough to melt a fiber optic sight is TG

My experience has been that #2 is very dirty. YMMV.

Atlanta's 147 reload is rated 850 fps 130 pf out of a G17 4.5" barrel

Lawman 115 is 1200 fps 138pf and loads their 147 to 985 145pf, both out of a 4" barrel.

Same lot of Atlanta 147's used in both guns?

What is the length of the sig and cz barrels?

I doubt the chamber dimension makes that much difference especially if 'the little end' is the same.

Does Atlanta use mixed brass in their reloads?

Any military cases in there?

Plated verses fmj bullets?

Lots of variables to be considered.

btw fast burning powders like AA#2, Bullseye etc tend to be really dirty in light loads.

Temperature is a direct function of the pressure formula given the same volumne.

AA#2

My experience has been that #2 is very dirty. YMMV.

Just curious; were you shooting lead or jacketed? I'm shooting Zero jacketed. It's not as clean as VN320 but in my guns it's more accurate, still pretty clean, and at minor velocity just as soft or softer. :cheers:

Edited by reptoid

Slow burning powder, Minor PF... can I get $0.01 for each post after this? LOL...

And if you think Castrol/Pennzoil Synth motor oil is Synth oil - $10 each more then LOL...

$100s more if you don't beleive in UFOs. I personally saw 4 of them. Gimme da money already... ha ha ha..

Hundreds may mean thouthands of hundreds ;)

Slow burning powder, Minor PF...

I think this is the main reason, I just don't understand why it is worse for the CZ than the SIG P226. Let me be clear, I don't think there is anything wrong with the ammo or with the gun, it is just the combination of this particular gun and this ammo.

Joe

The ONLY problem I have is with excess residue on the CZ compared to the SIG with the light load ammo. I shot 100 rounds of Remington UMC today at 7" plates at 25 yards standing before I missed a plate. Here is the best group. Nothing wrong with the gun.

i-cvCGVG2-M.jpg

Joe

Edited by Joe L