Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open stinks...

Ron Ankeny

I just checked my USPSA classification. Man do I ever suck with an open blaster. My classifiers are a consitent 10 to 15 percent below my Limited classifiers and I am darn near blind. The three grand I poured into this Open gig would have bought a lot of ammo...

It ain't the song, it's the singer.

Keep working at it Ron. I've brought my Open classification to within 5% of my Limited. Oh wait, that's because I've been dragging my Limited classification down. :(

I practiced foo-foo a little Saturday and shot a match Sunday. It keeps coming back to the grip with that beast. That and accepting the fluttering dot to shoot quickly.

Ron, if it's any consolation, Production Division is kicking my butt too!  Compared to my limited guns, I shoot it like a third grader.  I took a real good spanking from the limited and open shooters two weeks ago in Casper.   But, like Arnie said "I'll be Baaack!".  

Flexmoney:

Too slow getting the dot on the draw and after the reload. I also think the hit factors are higher in Open so I am going to have to get more points on the target faces. I have been shooting Alpha-Charlie most of the time and that won't cut it. I think the Charlie is from over powering the pistol. Eric Warren probably nailed it...the grip.

I think there are a couple of considerations. First I personally, can only have one mistress. Or I can only shoot Open or Limited at 9/10ths and trying to mix the 2 is difficult for me. I think as my skills progress this will be less of a factor. It would help to shoot all week long as a professional does.

The other consideration is quoted from BamBam. The differences in Open are slight. It is easier to shoot than a Limited gun. So to shoot at a high level you need to shoot near perfection. I am not saying a GM in Limited is not a great shooter. Its that the shades of gray in Open are shades of white. That's why I think its better to focus on one or the other. Now if you have a lot of time and money you can close that gap more easily.

Finding the dot or sight is "cured" by dryfiring. I love Open. You will too the force is strong in this one.

(Edited by BSeevers at 8:04 pm on Oct. 14, 2002)

I was a little burnt out, so last month I screwed a dot to my limited gun, just to change things.

I'm thinking that the hard shots are easier, and the easy shots are harder.

At first, I was flying, but I did not like the margin of error I had calling shots.  Judging by when the streak changed direction, I could call on, or off the paper, but could not tell between an A or C.

I was getting ready to post a question on dot vision.  In trying to find the words to the question, I think I found my answer.  I now work on putting the shots in the A-zone, They don't all get there, but if I don't know where they went, I did not do my job.

Ron we must be clones. My Open draw is a couple tenths slower than my Limited draw, and my reload is usually slower too. Weak hand is a nightmare.

No excuse to be getting A-Cs with a dot! You getting low C hits? Maybe you're overgripping it and tensing up in anticipation of recoil that won't even appear. Let the gun do the work.

I get about 95-97% of the points on my good Limited runs, but Open I shoot 97% and up.

Rich, that's classic. Open does make the hard shots easier and the easy shots more difficult!

Ron's right-- HHF percentages in Open are generally (it varies by classifier, but the trend is there) harder to meet than HHF %'s in Limited, especially in the A, M & GM classes.

My theory on this is that when they invented the HHF's, the top Limited skill levels weren't quite as refined as the top Open skill levels were.

(Edited by shred at 2:50 pm on Oct. 15, 2002)

This may be off the wall, but its something i noticed with rifle, my comp was "over" compensating. pushing the second shot lower.

also, from the idea's i've seen from open shooters they don't "grip" their gun in limited we have a sturdy "HangOnToIT" grip, and this would be "over gripping" an open gun as most of them just bob a bit and don't to much else.

I recall from the burner tapes that he specifically covered the dot. with rifle, i have no problems with dot, have played with a few pistols w/dots.

also a thought. where are you looking it took me a good while to make my self look at the target to get the proper focus and not look at the dot. "chase the bounching ball" was what i felt like my eyes were doing for a few thousand rounds.  

just some idea's and the last thought.

beware the man with 1 gun, i can't testify enough to the difference that makes to solidify ones training.

I had an experienced Open shooter run a few rounds down range today. The first thing out of his mouth was that the gun was over comped. He suggested trying 124 grain bullets (I am using 115). I have thousands of rounds loaded and a bunch of 115 Zero's on hand. If a gun is "over comped" what can I do?

contact an experienced gunsmith, EGW, Dawson,

somethign i have noticed, todd jarrett's gun has a hole drilled through the back port near the bottom of the gun and is a "bleeder" for gas i believe... you could have a different comp put on the gun, or the one you have re-worked.

when your comp works right, you should beable to put doubles like snake eyes at high speeds... why don't i shoot open, 3000 reasons :-)

glad it was somethign somewhat easy to fix

what to do with a few thousand 115s loaded? well you could practice a few thousand 1 shot draws and reload drills:-).  or you could just shoot them and train yourself to watch how the dot tracks. also go to a heavier bullet, I like how the 124s feel to me.