Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cost benefit - timer vs app

CenTexSlim

I tried apps but nothing seemed nice. I was also worried about dropping my phone, getting it wet or dusty. The CED7000 was $120 with accessories and my phone was about $300 more. I think it was worth it.

Timer apps are fantastic for par timing on the cheap. The Surefire is free and the par timing function easy to use. Live fire it has never worked properly for me.

If you can afford it the CED7000 is fantastic for everything and I bet most people will not use all the functions. With it you can have more choice with par timing. For example you could set a par time, multiple reps and choose the gap between if you need to reset. You can also have multiple par times in one drill which I have yet to use. The CED7000 will pick up airsoft but you need it to be fairly close. I use it for airsoft rifle (mounted on the fore end) and the information I get from the shot to shot times has helped me improve my transitions. For airsoft pistol if i set up a stage i will set a long countdown and place the timer where the last shot is to be fired. The CED also picks up .22 easily which not all timers do. Another function I have just started to use is the spy function. When you watch several shooters run a stage at a comp you can time them (as long as your close enough) and see how you compare and where you make up time on them or where they are faster than you.

At home training I use both CED and Surefire. For shotgun loading and dry fire shotgun/pistol I use the app. For airsoft/live fire I use the CED.

I have been uing the ipsc shot timer ap on my Galaxy S3 with my airsoft. Does anyone know if the the timer starts at the start of the beep or the end of the beep with this timer? I ask because I played with my pocket pro 2 in live fire the other day for the first time and I was noticably slower in live fire. I expected to be a little slower but not the .5 sec I was seeing. Either I am way timid drawing in live fire or the timers are measuring differently.

An actual timer is worlds better than an app. The apps I have tried are a novelty at best, they're just not 100% reliable like a timer. A timer is a chunk of money but you can shop for a used one and it will last years if taken care of. I've never known anyone who bought a timer and said it wasnt money well spent.

I'm all about getting the most benefit for the cost. Some may call it a tight a$$ :closedeyes: but hey, when we're pushing $4 gas and....

Never mind the cost of ammo or the rest of your gear, the price of a good timer is a pittance compared to the amount of your time you are going to invest. I always believe that you should have the best quality tools possible to do the job. It always turns out to be cheap money.

• 1 year later...

I tried to use the ipsc timer on my android and i could not get a consistant beep for par times . it was never the same amount of time twice in a row. at least with the delay. it worked on my friends phone when we were dry firing together but we wernt using the delay

I also use the free shot timer by innovative applications. I don't clip mine on my belt i just sit it on the shooting table behind me. It took a while to get the settings correct but it seems to be pretty reliable as long as the screen is facing me when i'm shooting. I will tell you that its a pain to have to go back and hit stop, reset, and start every time. I'm fairly cheap and just haven't been able to talk myself into buying a good timer yet but maybe one day.

I've tried a few of the apps, not too successful. Ended up with a CED Pro 7000rf works really well. I use it to time bowling pin shoots and it does a pretty good job of ignoring other range noise which is something that I couldn't get dialed in too well with the apps.

• 3 weeks later...