Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What did I do to my 650?

Grease.

I am new to 650's myself but from what I have been reading this happens from time to time. Replacement involves removing the platform and the spring that wraps around the main shaft is reported to be a challenge to reinstall due to space limitations.

Hopefully you have a parts kit with an extra. If not get on the phone to Dillon. While you are on the phone with them ask for an alignment tool since you will want it when you reinstall the platform. They sent me one for free.

Keep it greased a little and never ever force the handle if it binds up as you have learned one of the main parts is plastic.

As Sarge mentioned there is supposed to be some grease in two areas on that and I don't see any. They are on and inside the ring and on the angled part where it contacts the block to actually do the indexing. No grease on either one of those can and will cause hard indexing and can break the ring.

Brian

I've broken 2 of those and (at least) 1 of them was because I was impatient and pushed down on the handle too hard during jam. The other time it broke when the maching was running smoothly. The moral of the story (at least for me):

1. +1 on what Sarge said
  2. Don't horse it. If it jams then clear it completely before proceeding.
  3. I have 2 of the 650 rebuild kits that include the indexing ring. If you need 1 then buy 2!

Edited by sidnal

+ 1 to sarge. I grease several areas that dillon doesn't specify. I also break stuff on the regular. As a rule for myself, I re lube every 1k and completely disassemble every 4-6k and clean/re lube everything. the only part of my 650 that has not been disassembled for cleaning is the "drive shaft"

Dillon is sending a new part and I ordered a spare. From the reading I've done, the newer style indexing ring is gray and is an improvement over the black ones like ive just broken. Considering I will have it apart anyway I'll clean and lube it at the same time.

Thanks again.

We use synthetic wheel bearing grease to lube everything except the main shaft. We use 30 wt motor oil there. A case failing to eject or a protruding primer seating punch are the most likely culprits that cause the shellplate to bind. The gray ring indexers are stronger and more flexible, and less likely to break than the black ones.

If you need help, PM me and I'll walk you through it.

Pat

Thanks for the offer, I will keep it in mind after my part arrives.

We use synthetic wheel bearing grease to lube everything except the main shaft. We use 30 wt motor oil there. A case failing to eject or a protruding primer seating punch are the most likely culprits that cause the shellplate to bind. The gray ring indexers are stronger and more flexible, and less likely to break than the black ones.

Good info, thanks.