Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 minor load w/ Bayou 140 grain TC

bill o

Is anyone using the 140 grain Bayou bullets in USPSA production division?

I'm currently shooting 180 grain Berry's with 3.0 grains Clays at 1.13" OAL in my stock Glock 22. Should I expect a noticeable increase in recoil with the lighter bullet at the same power 135 power factor?

When using a bullet like this that's light for its caliber, would I want to go with a fast powder like Clays, or something slower?

My main motivation in playing with this bullet is to save money. ;)

Thanks.

I'm using the 155gr Bayou w/ 3.6gr of Clays at around 145 pf. Was using 180gr BBI w/ 3.0 gr of Clays for 145 pf.

Went to the lighter bullet to get the slide speed up, the 180s just seemed like it took forever to cycle after I shot it back to back w/ a Glock 17.

I did notice a slight increase (maybe) in recoil the first few rounds, might have just been a little sharper. Then I got used to it. I wouldn't go back to the 180s.

I haven't shot them w/ anything but Clays, so I can't really comment on powder choice, but it seems to work fine.

The recoil perception is usually subjective but most report it like this: Heavy bullet, slow speed - more of a push recoil; Light bullet, fast speed - sharp, snappy recoil. However, for minor loads, the feel will be very negligible. It will be more prevalent in Major PF loads.

For light bullets, usually it's a slower powder; for heavier bullets, faster powders. This is just a generality, not a constant or always true statement.

I don't see any other grain weight on Bayou's website for the .40 besides 180gr.

Does he offer these different weights but has not updated his website?

Maybe it's like the secret menu at In n Out....

Also, what are the costs for the other grain weight bullets, in say, a 500 pack?

Take care,

Dave

• 6 months later...

You could try around 4.5gr of WST, likely to put you around 130PF. I don't know about TG, WST is what I've been developing

Thanks Chef J, I am open to using WST.What Oal are you using with this load?

Edited by Sthrngnr

I tried some of the 140s with vv320 behind them, but, couldn't find a load that gave me the accuracy I was looking for. :surprise:

The most accurate .40 minor loads I've found have been with 135 grain Noslers, and 150 grain Noslers as a close 2nd. :cheers:

155 anything infront of 4.1 grains of solo 1000 gets me 132-134 pf at every major match i attend. When the girlfriend shot production, she shot a glock 35 as well, and it was always funny we always chrono'ed differently being about 2-3 PF apart. So your results may vary. I shoot entirely 155 grain moly coated lead for practice and sometimes local matches, and throw a 155 JHP in there for major matches. Works just fine for me, and smokes very little with the moly bullets.

That being said, i tried 180-200 grain bullets, and really didn't see my splits change any. I prefer the lighter bullet, and the quicker recoil impulse. Solo 1000 has been the least smokey powder i have tried, using power pistol, WST, and Win 231 before that.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Lee load manual can get you in the vicinity.

I have loaded 140 grain lead with Bullseye, Unique and Longshot but shooting for Major. All have been comparable in recoil to 180 Major.

I would guess around 5 grains of Bullseye would be peachy. 5.5 grains got me 1200 fps and was pretty light.

Edited by dogtired