Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alternatives to brass picking

jester121

Sorry if this is a ridiculous question, but I've just gotten started in USPSA in the Production class, and thought I might want to try the revolver class as well with my Ruger GP100. I've read the threads on speed loaders, etc. 38/357 is expensive if you aren't reloading, but I don't want to be one of those guys scrabbling around in the mud for brass (tough on my back too). Can you wear a pouch on your front to catch the brass when you eject the empties? Or should I just send off my cylinder for machining and use moon clips, which will at least keep the 6 shells together on the ground?

Thanks!

There is no rule against wearing a pouch but I would think that trying to get the ejected brass to land in one would be very slow. as for competition moon clipps are faster by a bunch and you get all your brass back,on the other hand speed loaders can be fun and picking up the brass is not that big a deal as it is in nice little piles of 6 not sprayed over the range like a auto.

Mike

Thanks guys, I was thinking something like the shell pouch I use for shotgunning which sticks way out, if it's in the front it might catch most of the brass with a hard eject. I think I may give it a try and if I really like shooting revolver I'll get the cylinder machined down so I can use the moon clips.

Why not pick up what you can and buy once fired brass? Unless you plan on shooting 357MAG you will have a difficult time making major for Revolver Division and will be at a disadvantage both with slower reloads and major vs minor power factor unlike production Division where everone is scored minor.

As to the question on converting the Ruger to moon clips........... I think you would be better off scaring up some SL Variant speed loaders.

There is no need to buy 357MAG. You can easily make Major in 38 Special brass. I shot my first two years in REVO that way. As Flex said, its usually in piles of 6 and you know where you did your reloads so its easy to collect. Plus once fired 38 Special is usually fairly cheap and plentiful so 70-90% brass back is not bad to live with.

So, I think the best thing you can do is go out and shoot for a while. If you decide you like REVO, make some spending decisions then. If you don't like it you are out nothing but burned powder and lead.

P.S. - Tell us where you are at. REVO shooters are some of the friendliest and most laid back. You might be surprised at how many are willing to loan you gear to try out.

ive found that speed loaders are no more expensive that production mags, im running safariland comp III's with my GP100 and using pouches from CPWSA. your brass does land in a nice neat little pile so policing your brass is easy. If you have a buddy that you always shoot with you could have them pick up your brass and loaders too if your that concerned about it.

Squad with another revo shooter. We take care of each other.

And Besides.....we need the brass :devil: They have a cople of tolls that make it easy to pick up brass. later rdd

:cheers: Thanks for the replies guys. I met some cool guys at my first match this past weekend shooting my XDm 9mm, but I haven't made any buddies yet. I've only been shooting about a year, and just bought the GP100 over the winter -- absolute love at first squeeze (it's the 5" with the heavier barrel). I have a couple of the Safariland speed loaders but haven't messed with them much, just ordered 6 more for a total of 8 along with a couple 333 belt pouches to try out. I've been saving 38 and 357 brass since I got the gun but I'm not reloading yet, I was just expecting to start if I continue competing. Now that I started, I will definitely continue, and I've been reloading shotshells over the winter to feed my skeet/5-stand habit, so I'm familiar with the concepts -- safety, measurements, progressive/single stage, etc. I know centerfire will be different but I'm eager to learn.

No one at the match I was at shot revolver so I should probably check if they even offer it at the events around here, is there a problem shooting factory 357 ammo at the club's steel poppers and plates? Or am I better off with some +P 38 loads? I read about power factors and I kind of basically understand it for semi-auto calibers. I think. I'll read more about it though...

There are several threads on this forum about getting the GP100 cylinder converted to accept moon clips for $100, I forget the company at the moment (T-something). I guess I can always hold off on that until I reach a level where the speed becomes an issue.

Again, thanks all for the helpful advice. I have a buddy who is kind of into shooting but he isn't into education, basically he waits for me to research stuff and then tell him. :unsure:

And Besides.....we need the brass :devil: They have a cople of tolls that make it easy to pick up brass. later rdd

I guess if I pick up some of yours and you pick up some of mine it evens out in the end. :D

When we do our .22 matches I wear a dump pouch in front and do my mag changes low and drop then in the pouch (.22 mags and our beach sand range don't mix)

It's a little slower but well worth the extra time considering.

I've never tried it with the revolver but I think it would slow me down a good deal and get in my way.

there should be no problem shooting 357 at a uspsa match other than the cost. you can all ways shoot revolver at a match but you may also be the only revolver shooter at the match. (last I heard the area 1 match of 300+ shooters is up to 9 in revolver division) I just have fun and try to beat as many bottom feeders as I can.

Mike

Sorry if this is a ridiculous question, but I've just gotten started in USPSA in the Production class, and thought I might want to try the revolver class as well with my Ruger GP100. I've read the threads on speed loaders, etc. 38/357 is expensive if you aren't reloading, but I don't want to be one of those guys scrabbling around in the mud for brass (tough on my back too). Can you wear a pouch on your front to catch the brass when you eject the empties? Or should I just send off my cylinder for machining and use moon clips, which will at least keep the 6 shells together on the ground?

Thanks!

I vote for moonclips!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!

I vote for moonclips!!!!!!!!!!

Gas is almost as expensive! LOL

sarge, one quick concern -- the Safariland website indicates that holster confirms with Open, Limited, and Limited 10 in USPSA, does it comply with Revolver class as well, in addition to the others? I'm still not real clear on all the class rules yet, need to sit and study the rule book...

Jester,

You right handed or left? I have a pair of unused Safariland Cup Challenge holsters laying around. Be glad to throw one in a box to you. Use it, if you like it, we can deal if not send it back. No problem. I used the holster until going to a CR Speed.

Oh, if you have a 6" gun then these holster might be a problem as they are the shorter model.

I wish i could squad up with a nother revolver shoter but 99.9% of the time im the only revolver shooter at the match :( good thing is most of the bottom feeder at the matches know me and know that i have a hard time kneeling or bending so there good about picking up my brass or speed loaders and in return i do alot of the patching

Jester,

You right handed or left? I have a pair of unused Safariland Cup Challenge holsters laying around. Be glad to throw one in a box to you. Use it, if you like it, we can deal if not send it back. No problem. I used the holster until going to a CR Speed.

Oh, if you have a 6" gun then these holster might be a problem as they are the shorter model.

I'm a righty JFlowers, my GP100 is actually a 5" model, it was one of those distributor exclusives and for me it was a Goldilocks moment -- 4" seemed a bit short, 6" a bit long, so when I saw the 5" on sale I jumped on it, and it's juuuust right. Of course this was before I even thought about competing in matches.

Just to have something for this weekend's match I ordered a cheap Fobus Evolution holster for $30 or so, that should be here Thursday. Maybe I can PM you my gun's dimensions and see if my 5" barrel will fit in the Cup Challenge? It sure looks like a nice (and fast) holster so I'd probably be interested.