Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

weakhand/strong shooting

squibb

I have had (and it's came back) so i do have again this problem. think about pulling your trigger strait back first of all.

Second i like to out to the range and dry fire. visualize my tiny perfect group. then load up and break a shot.. this must be subconscious. (or atleast a supprise when you hear a bang) that will be your true shot. relax and take plenty of time between the shots any time you flinch. unload and dryfire some more then go back to live fire.

Don't get in any hurry shooting s/w-hand until the flinch is cured or it will cause repeat results.... (my repeat was because of almost 6 months not shooting)

best of luck.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Dont ask me why, but I shoot more A's with my Sig 226 in Production than I did shooting my STI in Limited, both strong and weak hand. I think maybe I pay more attention when shooting my Sig than the STI. The STI almost seems to run by itself after a while, but the Sig seems to take more constant attention.

This is all from my experience with Voigt.

How you pull the trigger is the key. We can all hold the sights in pretty damn good alignment and manage the recoil decently, but pulling the trigger correctly is what makes the shot good.

You should be working the trigger while the sights are being aligned, not stab the trigger really hard/fast when your brain thinks the sights are aligned. It should be "the gun's going to go off... I better get the sights there." It's kinda like how revolver shooters shoot—constantly pulling the trigger—though there are obviously vast differences.

One thing to try to get your trigger control decent is to pull the trigger towards your palm with whichever hand you're shooting. Shooting left-handed we tend to push the gun right when we pull the trigger and vice-versa with the right hand. Thinking about pulling the trigger into your palm will bring the gun back in the opposite direction.

One thing to try to get your trigger control decent is to pull the trigger towards your palm with whichever hand you're shooting. Shooting left-handed we tend to push the gun right when we pull the trigger and vice-versa with the right hand. Thinking about pulling the trigger into your palm will bring the gun back in the opposite direction.

Hmmmmm..... how weird it is that you mention this... I've been experimenting a little bit lately doing this. See where it gets me.

Thinking about pulling the trigger into your palm will bring the gun back in the opposite direction.

I'd been told to think of pulling the trigger straight back into your (aiming) eye. That works if I remember to isolate the trigger press to just the trigger finger. Using just the trigger finger keeps me from pulling the gun off the perfectly aligned sight picture, and is what is so hard for me, especially weak hand.

I just got a .22 target pistol. I've gotten into the habit recently of bringing it to IPSC practice along with my Limited gun. I'm trying to spent a hundred or so rounds each practice just strong and weak hand with the .22 to keep me from pushing with the trigger finger (strong hand problem) or palming the grip (major weak hand problem).

Thinking about pulling the trigger into your palm will bring the gun back in the opposite direction.

I'd been told to think of pulling the trigger straight back into your (aiming) eye. That works if I remember to isolate the trigger press to just the trigger finger. Using just the trigger finger keeps me from pulling the gun off the perfectly aligned sight picture, and is what is so hard for me, especially weak hand.

I just got a .22 target pistol. I've gotten into the habit recently of bringing it to IPSC practice along with my Limited gun. I'm trying to spent a hundred or so rounds each practice just strong and weak hand with the .22 to keep me from pushing with the trigger finger (strong hand problem) or palming the grip (major weak hand problem).

That's the way you SHOULD pull the trigger, but it's not the way most of us do. We're able to mask it shooting freestyle. At speed, thinking about doing the opposite of what we normally do with the trigger finger should allow us to correct what we're doing.

Of course, there is always "practice". ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm one of those that when I shoot with the off hand (left hand) I'm hitting the target along the far right edge of the target. I have been dry fire practicing getting the sites lined up and squeezing the trigger. Once the trigger breaks I look for my sites to see where they are lined up. It is very frustrating for me as my left hand shooting is without a doubt my achillies heal.

Can we just ban all off hand/weak hand shooting stages? :lol::lol:

• 2 years later...

All i do to shoot one handed is

1. Hold the gun as tight as I can (I don't do this wiht a 2 handed hold)

2. Press the trigger straight on back

3. Dryfire so its easy to find the sights

Simple... but not easy.

I say ban weak hand :D

I have been practicing for an upcoming charity match that requires a few strings of weak hand shooting and over time I am slowly getting better. Mind you I am practicing half an hour to 45 minutes a week, about 100 rounds each Friday night.

By the way, the rest of the match I am ready for, but the strings I am worried about are 6 rounds weak hand in 4 seconds at a distance of 5 yards. Even with the gun already drawn and at a 45 degree angle I am right at 4 seconds to get those shots off. I am taking about 1.5 to 1.7 seconds to break that first shot, it is taking me that long to find the dot and get it near the center of the target. There are some 10 yard strings with 6 rounds in 12 seconds and I feel I should be ok at those.

The only thing I can really say is get out there and put rounds down range weak hand.

Joe W.

• 2 months later...

This is a rather long-standing thread, so I thought I might add a little to it.

I shot NRA Bullseye for years...well enough to make the All-Army Reserve Team. We were taught to analyze the pattern of hits to help interpret our grip and trigger control. For a right handed shooter low-left generally meant trigger jerk when seeing the proper sight picture/sight alignment ("shoot now!!!"); high-right meant healing the gun with the palm in anticipation of recoil ("it's going to go off!!"); generally left usually meant contact with the frame with the trigger finger; and, generally low meant milking the gun with the little finger. An open horizontal distribution meant you were concentrating on aligning the top of front sight (not the vertical alignment) and an open vertical distribution meant you were concentrating on the sides of the front sight (not the top alignment). And an allround open pattern meant you were not focusing on the sight alignment...just the sight picture.

The answer to correcting problems is proper trigger control; proper grip control; and best...being "surprised" when the trigger breaks and the gun goes off. Remember that mere practice does not make perfect...perfect practice does. Analyze your shots and pratice the change that will help with correction(s).

Now why can't I just do what I preach??

Having the patience to really shoot is what is tough for me.To do what must be done seems like it takes too long.As has been said repeatedly, see what you need to see to make the shot.I practice weakhand every time I shoot because for me it is a skill that degrades rapidly.

Robin