Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whats a good AR 15 to go with

g929

Hello guys I'm new to fire arms and am looking for any advice to help me choose a good reliable AR 15 to go with.... Thank you all in advance..... Happy shooting

Edited by kellyn
spelling

For now recreational and meybe more advance

Recreational is kind of broad. Do you want to shoot three gun? If so what division. Most importantly what is your budget? I would say look at the Stag 3g as the best entry level three gun rifle. There are lots of choices and when you get to the top JP and Noveske are great choices. It really depends on how much you want to spend.

Pat

Well for 3gun I'm at the bottom of the list but lets say when all of you started out what was your level?

But I'll say $1500 to 2000 or if all you guys can tell me if is cheaper to get it by parts.....

Edited by kellyn
spelling

Well for 3gun im at the bottom of the list but lets say when all of you started out what was your level

Bujet ill say 1500 to 2000 or if all you guys can tell me if is chepper to get it by parts.....

Does that include the optic?

Pat

For a beginner and first AR I'd go with a RRA Operator II. http://www.class3weapons.com/Rock_River_Arms_Operator2_s/122.htm I don't think that this gun is a handicap till you start shooting beyond 350 yards. The rifle has guaranteed accuracy and I've seen them in action.

I do have a custom build\t AR for 3-Gun 18" and all that but I'm still thinking of getting one of these for those local matches, and the more common IDPA 2 Guns and Combat 3-Guns.

Don't shoot Bi-Metal ammo in your AR, you know that Wolf and Serbian ammo, the steel jacket under that .00005 thick copper coat will ruin the barrel. I turned a nice accurate Bushmaster AR into a piece of Junk with that ammo.

(pat) Yes it is and I be writing out of my cell and is a bit dificult and how meany langues you speek for what I see is more importat to others to crack unecesary jokes of bab taste then guide a person but that is just me.... Or if it bothers you come and tech me homesss......

Edited by g929

Sorry to get off-track here, but I was under the

impression that spelling/grammar didn't matter

on this Forum...

I've been a member for a few years, and have been

astounded at the errors I've seen posted in the

past ...

And, I am a little anal about good English ...

But, I have never seen any member "called" on

poor grammar or spelling, in the past ...

Are we entirely sure we want to start correcting

spelling/grammar now?

Just my humble thought ...

Jack

Back to the question posed. Get a Smith and Wesson or DPMS or Stag basic rifle if it is your first one and learn to shoot it. There are others that you can buy for about $800 but these two just jump to mind. You will like a flat top best and buy yourself some sort or red dot scope but again, just get something basic. Shoot some matches and see what others have and you will be drawn to some rifles over others.

You will likely not find a "bad" AR nor a bad optic. As you look around and go to matches you will find some you like better than others. If a year or two down the road you can take your first AR and use it for a home defense gun, give it to your son, or if you decide to sell it you will find it much easier to sell a gun you paid $800 for than one you paid $1500 for.

Sorry to get off-track here, but I was under the

impression that spelling/grammar didn't matter

on this Forum...

I've been a member for a few years, and have been

astounded at the errors I've seen posted in the

past ...

And, I am a little anal about good English ...

But, I have never seen any member "called" on

poor grammar or spelling, in the past ...

Are we entirely sure we want to start correcting

spelling/grammar now?

Just my humble thought ...

sorry I brought it up but it was just so bad it appeared intentional. back to the guys question...

Edited by dmwphoto

BCM has some good rifle setups. Here is a good example of an entry level 3 gun upper. Buy a lower separately, put some irons sights and some kind of comp on it and learn how to shoot that. Save any extra money for ammo. Wait until after some local competitions to see if you want/need an optic for the matches you will attend, but save money for it as you go.

Edited by PistoleroJesse

Like others have said, a decent flat-top upper from S&W, Stag, DPMS will get you started for $700 or less. Better yet, borrow a buddies for a few matches. Slap a Burris Tac30 or a red dot on it and get ye to a match.

Windham is supposed to be owned by the prior owner of Bushmaster. While I have heard mixed reviews, they look okay, just about 30% more than one of the one mentioned above that is already proven.

The build vs. buy has no pat answer. If you are marginally mechnically inclined, you can do it. You will need some specialized tools, so it will probably end up costing you a few $ more to build the first one. If you do something wrong, you are stuck. If you buy from a factory, they should fix any problems.

I started with and still have a rock river. It has been a very good rifle. I recomendd them to guys at work all the time.

Browse JP Rifles website. They have some new entry level LE rifles in the 1500 dollar range. Not all the bells and whistles but still JP design and quality

MN based Fleet Farm had a line of Huldra rifles that would be worth a look. I belive they designed it with Adams Arms

jay