Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited 10 -XDM

mont1120

Presently I shoot a Kimber .45 in USPSA in Limited 10. I am in the process of wanting to purchase one of the new XDM 5.25 in .40. If for some reason my Kimber fails in a match, (like it did when I switched loads and it jammed like a badly made Raven 25), will it be legal to switch to the XDM if I only load the mags to 10 rounds?

In changing the gun, I would also be changing the caliber, but still making major.

If it is in the middle of the match, you would have to get the permission of the match director. It would help your cause if you were shooting the same PF for each gun (ie: shooting major with the kimber and having major loads for the XDM).

It would be better if you bought another 45 (Kimber or whatever) to use as a bcakup.

As long as the back up gun is Division legal you can switch to it. It doesn't matter if there is an advantage or not, in the old days the two guns needed to be identical right down to the caliber. If an advantage could be gained then you couldn't switch.

Rich

5.1.7 Competitors must use the same handgun and type of sights for all

courses of fire in a match. However, in the event that a competitor’s

original handgun and/or sights become unserviceable or unsafe during

a match, the competitor must, before using a substitute handgun and/or

sights, seek permission from the Range Master who may approve the

substitution provided he is satisfied:

5.1.7.1 The substitute handgun satisfies the requirements of the relevant

Division.

5.1.7.2 In using the substitute handgun the competitor will not gain a

competitive advantage.

(This means you would have to gain an advantage over all the other shooters in the division. A double stack mag would not give you said advantage.)

5.1.7.3 The competitor’s replacement handgun and its appropriate

ammunition must be chronographed per Rule 5.6, regardless of

whether or not the original handgun was previously tested.

Over 50% of the L10 shooters I see are shooting double stacks already, or 1911's in 9mm. I guess it could be considered an advantage going from single to double stack for reloads, to someone, but not for me with all the wide-mouth magwells available today

Thank you for the replies. I would buy another Kimber, but to match up woith what I have, I simply cannot afford another one. In addition, the XDM just look like something to start working with and get ready to use when my crusty old body begins to wear down a smidge after each passing day.

Having two guns worth of ammo is not a bad idea anyway. I'm one of those who reloads and matches the loads to the gun. If I had two guns I'd still have a lot of ammo anyway. I would keep shooting major in .40 since I would not want to alter my recoil levels by that much. We have an informal IDPA club up here in MT, and one match I shot a .45 until I had a problem, then switched to the nine. Really throws you off for awhile.

Hey, that would make a neat multi gun match, have the shooters fire two different calibers to take them out of the comfort zone. Now that would be a challenge. Anybody up for that one, I think it would be a hell of a good time? You would really have to adjust what you were doing, and devise ways to compensate.

It will be here on Wednesday. First plastic gun I have ever owned, I am a die hard cold steel .45 1911 shooter. It would take something pretty special to get me to change. I shoot a Beretta 92 in IDPA in 9MM. For some reason I have tried the Glocks, but never liked the feel, or the odd angle it sits in my hand.

Old dogs are real stubborn changing, but I admit I did like the feel of the XDM and the way it fit.

Another odd fact I'd thought to mention, in NW Montana we are not exactly the hotbed of high living and wealth, but when I went in to order my new XDM, the shelves are getting bare. There was a line to order guns, and two other salesmen were filling out BATF forms. I bought the last two boxes of small pistol primers, and if you do not shoot shotgun, there were no primers to be had. The rush is on again, and if you want to have enough powder, primers, and lead, you better buy it. The political landscape is getting nutball again.