Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

need a new shooting watch!

steviesterno

I love my suunto watch and it held up during a deployment too! You can fin one that meats your criteria. G-shock is another good brand. I have a g-shock mud that I haven't wore once that I'd be looking to sell if you interested. (just have to find it lol)

Edited by hax

Luminox would be my choice in your price range. I have both a basic plastic band and a titanium. I wear my plastic band to work everyday. My titanium gets wear at nights and weekends and is probably my favorite. My oldest watch is a Tag Heuer formula1 that has been back for service twice at a cost of about $275.00 in repair fees in the 25 yrs I have had it. Two of my three citizens have been in for repair as well and are between 4 and 20 yrs old. My luminox watches are both over 10 yrs old and have yet to need servicing and still glow bright. For the amount of wear my titanium watch gets it looks the best. I have an old g-shock also but almost never wear it.

I had a Casio G-shock that I got as a birthday present in 1985, wore it every day until 2009. Went through several bands over the years, I think it was $60 back then, I think its still close to $60 today. I ran into everything with it. What finally made me quit wearing it, was the plastic casing all around the edge, finally cracked and fell apart after my 3rd superglue fix in 7 or 8 years. The most amazing part was I never put a new battery in it until 2008, thats right, 23 years on the original battery, 10 years of my life was on graveyard, so I used the light to see the time quite a bit. When I went to replace the battery, I could not find a direct replacement, the closest I could find was only about 3/4 the size of the original. I emailed Casio to see if they wanted it when I retired it, but they never replied, so it sits in a drawer. I looked at buying another, but the same model didnt feel like it was the same quality and frankly, I was tired of looking at it. Got a Casio Pathfinder with solar face. Didnt realize it didnt have a stopwatch, which was dissapointing and the internal battery went to crap after 2 years, now the barometer, compass and such wont function properly because of low voltage, so now im in the watch buying mode again.

I use a Casio G-Shock when shooting my matches, well most of the time. Sometimes i shoot with my Rolex GMT master2.

Well now I don't feel bad for being the only reply to endorse some bling, though I'm not sure I'd beat up a Rolex the way I do my Tag. There really isn't much that I would say is too rough for my watch, and I fully expect to get another 20 years out of it.

post-10475-0-73709300-1331601859_thumb.j

for general wear I've gone to Citizen ecodrives after wearing much more expensive watches. I like the 200 meter and 300 meter water resistant varieties with the simple dials, but they have lots of styles. Seems to be a good bang for the buck watch and they keep very good time. One I've been wearing almost daily for 12 years and it still works great. Places like BJs or Costco have them for real deals if you find a style you like. For surfing I wear a 17 buck casio forrester with a velcro strap. Beat to hell, takes a licking and keeps on ticking, salt encrusted, and sand scared...but been using the same one now for five years. (ok, that was bad ju-ju....now I'm either going to lose it or the battery will die!)

Never did like shooting matches with a watch...too much air resistance! :roflol:

I wear Seiko diver's automatics on Survival Straps bands every day, shooting, on duty, and for whatever else and they can take a beating, specifically a Black Monster (SKX779) and their "classic" Seiko SKX007 (either is well within your budget). As mentioned, their movements are quite similar to that of a Rolex, but at a far more proletarian price-point. They're legit dive watches good to 200M, never need batteries, last for decades, and helpful for comfort and particularly shooting, they feature offset crowns located at 4 o'clock so they don't dig into the top of one's hand. The Survival Strap bands add comfort and a bit more "tactical/adventurer style" along with nearly 20ft of 550 para-cord which could be handy in a pinch (think tourniquet, splint, X-mas tree tie-down, etc.).

I own a couple upper echelon (and more expensive) watches (Kobold, Sinn U1), some are as good, none are better.

I'd also second the Vostok Amphibian recommendation; good enough for Steve Zissou, good enough for the rest of us!

Yes, watches have nothing to do with shooting, but IMHO, for any man, a decent watch isn't a bad idea. The Seiko autos don't have true sapphire glass, but as far as I've seen their proprietary glass is just as good, besides, if you end up that picky and want to go total "watch-nerd", the Seiko auto aftermarket is on par with the 1911 aftermarket; sapphire glass for them and all sorts of mods are out there...

Pic of the Monster ($100 used off eBay + $35 for the Survival Strap band):

392dc86f.jpg

Edited by ck1

I've been wearing a Seiko 007 with a Nato strap for the last year. Durable, relatively inexpensive, and well-made. Being an automatic, it does lose a bit of time each day (I think mine is something like 4 or 5 seconds/day), but it's still a very cool mechanical device.

I also like the Bertucci watches, I have an A2 that I wear. Titanium case, quartz movement.

Finally, I have a few Victorinox Swiss Army watches. My first survived a decade of hard use, including a motorcycle wreck and a shotgun kaboom. The bracelet finally gave up the ghost, and Victorinox replaced the case, bracelet, quartz, battery, and back (essentially the same movement with all new hardware) for the cost of shipping.

Edited by 59Bassman