Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• 4 weeks later...

how come a rifle can have a red dot and a comp and still be classed as limited? But, if a shotgun is mag na ported it is only good for open class.

That same rifle can also have a sixty-round magazine and still be limited.

It's just the way it is, not really any particular logic to it.

The general intent with the Tactical divisions is to require somewhat "real world" equipment (yes, yes, I know it's just a game), and to keep a lid on the equipment race (to the extent this is possible). I am aware that some tactical shotguns come with porting, and I hate bumping guys to Open for bringing their home defense shotgun to a match, but if we allowed porting then it would become a required modification to remain competitive, and before you know it everyone would have multiple outlandish and expensive brakes installed on their shotguns. It's just not a path anyone in the sport has the appetite to go down.

• 1 month later...

My goal is to shoot 3gun in 2012. I have a decent setup (Glocks in 9 and 40, DPMS AR 5.56 / 223 with 2 MOA red dot and a Mossberg 930) and am competent with all 3. As a total noob I realize that class is a non issue - my goals would be to learn the rules, compete safely and well, not embarrass myself (too much)and, ideally, not finish DFL.

That said I would still like to remain in the Limited division and I have one problem - a ported Mossberg 930 barrel. It's a 24" 'turkey' gun and Mossberg WILL make a non-ported barrel for $180 (I'm not the only one asking!) but my question is - to remain cost effective can the porting on my current barrel be defeated (covered) to neutralize the affect? I'm thinking aluminum sheeting and hose clamps - or better if this is possible.

I'm guessing "NO" but I thought it was worth asking.

Thanks!~

Attempted to post image

"As a new member, you do not yet have enough posts to have a links in your posts."

Can send images if not clear.

The allowance of compensators goes back to the AWB. Before if you had a comp you were in open. When rifle manufacturers started introducing comps on the rifles instead of flash hiders they were a common thing and rather than make people buy a new barrel they were allowed into Tactical (Limited, whatever). The comp size was kept to a maximum dimension of 1"x3" which excluded the big JP Tank brake and the impractical comps but allowed the smaller ones. Of course they work as well as the big ones now so there really isn't much difference.

As far as covering up the ports it has been done before. I seem to remember hose clamps but I can't remember if it was sheet steel or something else.

That said I would still like to remain in the Limited division and I have one problem - a ported Mossberg 930 barrel. It's a 24" 'turkey' gun and Mossberg WILL make a non-ported barrel for $180 (I'm not the only one asking!) but my question is - to remain cost effective can the porting on my current barrel be defeated (covered) to neutralize the affect? I'm thinking aluminum sheeting and hose clamps - or better if this is possible.

I'm guessing "NO" but I thought it was worth asking.

See Posts 1-10

My link

I've been running mine with port covers for a little over a year now, no problems with reliability/function.

Are they legal? I have not seen any rules limiting external modifications to shotguns and if the ports are rendered inoperable and the configuration is not changed during the match then?

While I haven’t volunteered the information to any ROs, MDs or other match staff, I wouldn’t hesitate to tell them. I shot the AR-15 PRO/AM match with this setup.

If you have some matches in mind just email the MDs and ask beforehand.

Now if the port covers came off during a match I would expect to be placed in OPEN.

David E.

I allow vang comp barrels and Knox stocks in the production class I created. On a pump gun it does not make much of a differencen a shotgun anyway and I would have to bump all the cops that show up to open otherwise. My first 3 gun match I had to shoot open with a 14 inch vang comped 870 and a single stack 1911 because I was using my work guns at the time. Honestly I think tactical and limited class shotguns should be allowed to mimic what we see in real life. Vang comped 870,Knoxx stocks, even optics on shotguns is not that unusual anymore. I also understand the desire to not have an arms race in limited and tactical. But tactical should really be called something else as a lot of tactical equipment is not allowed in this division.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

Thanks Chuck, Nuke and Alaskapopo - that's great to hear. I'll identify my first match and talk it over with the staff. Mossberg ports so many barrels from the factory it would be nice to see that grandfathered in (my SSP Glock 34 in IDPA has factory features that other cannot add without a class bump but because they are factory original, I'm good), frankly I don't even notice / feel an advantage to the ported barrel.

Nuke - can you tell me what you use for 'port covers"?

Oh, and I was already planning new sights for the gun as well. It comes drilled and tapped from the factory - I dropped an of the shelf rail on it that was drilled to match and run an open red dot on it. Again - factory intent?!?!

Many thanks!

Edited by mingaa

Thanks Chuck, Nuke and Alaskapopo - that's great to hear. I'll identify my first match and talk it over with the staff. Mossberg ports so many barrels from the factory it would be nice to see that grandfathered in (my SSP Glock 34 in IDPA has factory features that other cannot add without a class bump but because they are factory original, I'm good), frankly I don't even notice / feel an advantage to the ported barrel.

Nuke - can you tell me what you use for 'port covers"?

Oh, and I was already planning new sights for the gun as well. It comes drilled and tapped from the factory - I dropped an of the shelf rail on it that was drilled to match and run an open red dot on it. Again - factory intent?!?!

Many thanks!

The red dot puts you in open, might as well leave the ports open.----------Larry

• 1 year later...