Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 19 or Glock 26 for concealed carry?

Utah Shooter

I am sure that this has been discussed before but thought that maybe there was a bit more to MY frame size compared to my guns frame size.

I am 159 lbs medium hands and 5'10. I know the length is longer for a 19 than the 26 and the 19 is a bit taller as well.

What would you suggest for not only my first Glock but a good concealed carry for my size?

Just knowing your height and weight doesn't help as much as knowing what type of carry you'd prefer and your body shape. I'm 5'8 and about 160, I prefer OWB with a kydex holster that rides high on my strong side hip. 19 or 26 doesn't really change anything for me because I'm more concerned with how thick the glock is, not how big it is. I shoot the 19 much better so that's what I carry.

CM

unless the desired mode of carry is in an ankle holster, my vote goes for the G19. I carried the G27 (.40) for a bit and didnt care for the way it shot, so I went back to a G23 which I shoot a lot better. Most everyone who carries a G27 around here has a some sort of mag extension on it to make it easier to shoot. Compare the grip of a G26/27 with a mag extension to a G19/23 and its close.

The 19 has 15+1 capacity in a small light package which makes it a pretty formidable carry piece.

unless the desired mode of carry is in an ankle holster, my vote goes for the G19. I carried the G27 (.40) for a bit and didnt care for the way it shot, so I went back to a G23 which I shoot a lot better. Most everyone who carries a G27 around here has a some sort of mag extension on it to make it easier to shoot. Compare the grip of a G26/27 with a mag extension to a G19/23 and its close.

The 19 has 15+1 capacity in a small light package which makes it a pretty formidable carry piece.

Right the only difference I see between the two is the length if the extension is added to the 26. I would prefer iwb instead of any other method of carry. So I guess the 19 would pretty much be the same when carrying iwb?

On a slim fella, the biggest issue is "where is it carried?". If you try to put any gun on your hip in the 3-oclock position (straight on the hip), it's gonna show. If you put it, especially in an IWB, at the 4:30 or so position behind the hip, even a G17 will work.

Regrettably (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), I do NOT have that problem...

Hello: If you can I would shoot both. I liked the Glock 19 I had. It was accurate and I could actually hold onto it better. I now use a STI VIP in 40. It carries about the same as the Glock 19. A good holster is a must :cheers: Thanks, Eric

So the 26 will fit in your pocket? Without the extension I take it?

depends on your pants and your build. if you have thick thighs or wear tight pants then it won't work. buy a blue gun and bring it and your pocket holster pants shopping.

Between the 2, the G19 is hands down the better choice in my eyes. It's the perfect balance of size, weight & capacity. Granted, my GEN 4 G21 hides under a tshirt just fine for me, at 4.30-5:00 in an MTAC. I just never warmed up to the G26, and I prefer a little more grip anyway. The G26 wasn't any easier for me to conceal, so it serves no purpose to me. Now my Kahr PM9 on the other hand, that thing absolutely disappears no matter how it's carried.

The 19 is more shootable due the longer sight radius, and you're able to get your whole hand on the grip vs. having the pinky hanging off. Higher capacity by about 3 rounds, and the size isn't all that much bigger. My carry is a 19 with a streamlight tlr1 in an IWB by raven concealment. It is ridiculously comfortable for how much gun I'm packing.

When I went in to get it, I was torn between the 19 and the 26. The salesman steered me towards the 19, and I don't regret it at all.

Not to rain on anybody's parade but how about looking at some of the above.

1.Most attacks are eliminated if the intended victim has a gun i.e. the Kahr or if I am in a t-shirt and shorts a North Americian Arms 32NAA.

2.Most shootings occur inside 21' so a long sight radius doesn't mean much.

3.In a gun fight most often the shooter does not remember seeing sights.

3a. Run some Tueller drills to verify above (Tueller drill - antagonist stands 21' away with fake knife, charges shooter, shooter draws and fires (simulate) before the person gets close enough to stab/cut the shooter.)

4 Actual case 3 police officers in hallway (5' away) see something draw and fire 41 times hitting the person 17 tmes (Glock 17's) do not remember seeing their guns firing. Item was a wallet.

5. The gun is only as important as the ability to use it properly.

BOTH ... can you say New York Reload!

that being said Lpatterson covered alot of good points so ill K.I.S.S.

Which ever gun you are more comfortable shooting. The 19 can carry more rounds and has a larger grip (that i like as i have large hands) but it needs to work for you and your hands

So the 26 will fit in your pocket? Without the extension I take it?

Yes, it fits. No grip extension. I favor loose pants with deep pockets and it works for me.

I've found that I can grit tape the front strap and the back strap and get a little more traction in my grip without it snagging the inside of the pocket.

If I could find a new 19 w/o fingergrooves I would carry it in a Crossbreed Super Tuck IWB holster! Neither the 19 or 26 is a good fit in my hand because of the fgs. The 17 is a lot better but harder to carry. The Crossbreed holster is very comfortable and I never thought I'd say that about any IWB holster. Actually I carry in a holster similar to the CB but would go with one for the 19. I have to go with pants one size larger also.

FWIW

Richard

PS: CB has a 2 week return policy if you want to try it.

Edited by chirpy