Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I am sure most clubs have memberships to their clubs that get discount fees for club members that is seperate from range membership. What I am really after is what is a fairly standard charge for range use that goes to the host range from the club. Some ranges may charge per event, but I think most charge the club per user or shooter as the case may be.

A local range that hosts USPSA and IDPA is significantly raising their fees for each shooter. Many locally feel it is unreasonably high, but would like to get a gauge as to what is the norm in many other locals.

Thanks in Advance

Travis

I don't know what "standard charge for range use that goes to the host range from the club" really means :P , but this gives me a chance to talk about our section's new policy....

We (they) now charge $20.00 for newer shooters who don't have their RO cards, and $15 for shooters who have been able to attend an RO class. This doesn't mean you even have to hold a timer that day, just as long as you have an RO card in your wallet you pay less per match than those who don't. The price used to be $15, but the $5 dollar increase was adopted by "the board" (3 people maybe?) and no one seems to know where the extra revenue is going, or what it's being spent on. :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

I hope the $5 "tea tax" is actually buying props and/or range improvements...just don't know. I suppose their position would be that I don't even have the right to know, maybe they're right... <_<

Wheew, feel better thanks. :D

Here is the way I understand the fees.

The USPSA, IPSC, or IDPA club is a non-profit organization. A shooter shows up to shoot a match and pays X, Y or Z depending on many things. But the club has to cover the following from the fees it charges to cover the match: Props, Targets, USPSA charges such as classifer, tape, AND USE of the RANGE. I believe the ranges usually charge per shooter (some my charge per club match). This is the fee that is going considerably higher at one of our ranges (going from $3.00 to $10.00 per shooter). It is this charge that the RANGE charges that I am really intersted in. Many shooters may not even know what that is, but club officers should know.

Thanks

Travis

Tom,

Is that a match/range policy, or the SECTION policy?

I think the USPSA by-laws (which would trump your section by-laws) only allow a maximum of $1 per shooter, per match to go to the section.

And, I think those funds can only be used for expenses related to running the Section Coordinators office. Now...how the section defines "expenses of running the office" is open to debate (is it an SC's office expense to buy steel?)

Send up the red flag...sound the bell.

Local matches are all at privately-owned (and not by the IPSC club) ranges. The range gets from $3 (one range) $5 (3 ranges) to $8 (one range) per shooter at a match. Using extra bays or range props cost extra.

Hmmm..., I should have read your post first, before voting $7-10 w/ a member's discount. My reply was for IPSC practice, which has a public draw and shoot line, a practice stage, both run with RO's, and separate bays for member RO's only, with the same fees applying to the rifle and pistol ranges elsewhere on the property, which are open to members and to the public.

Match fees though, are $20 for members and $25 for nonmembers, with club officers (whose tireless efforts keep the club running) and stage builders shooting for free.

The match fees are about average, I think, for the clubs in the Northern CA section. Our action pistol range not only hosts IPSC matches twice a month, but also cowboy, IDPA, ICORE, and IPSC approved 3 gun, shotgun and rifle only matches. Classes are also taught at the range, and multiple police agencies pay fees to use the range.

The national organization gets its cut, and, I believe, so does the host club that owns the property where the IPSC range is located. Both the host club and the IPSC club are financially sound, given all the paid activity.

I couldn't vote, but thought you would like the following:

At one range the fee for shooters who do not belong, i.e., have an annual membership to the range, is $7 per day. You have access to 4 ranges at the facility.

Another range hosts several clubs, and sponsors two of its own. The profits from the two sponsored clubs go the the range. The hosted clubs pay $4 to $5 per shooter at their monthly matches. One club meets there only occasionally and pays a flat $100 fee for use of the range for their one day match.

Hope this helps,

Dale

The Mid-Atlantic Section Fees for USPSA matches are $25 for non-USPSA members, $20 for USPSA members. There are discounts for juniors, husbands/wives shooting the match together; a shooter joining USPSA at the match fills out the application, pays the applicable USPSA membership fee, and shoots the match for free. Additionally the clubs that own the ranges may set a discounted admission rate for their members --- which is usually $15.- (In essence this means I pay $ 15.- to shoot a match at my home club; and I pay $ 20.- at any other club in the section.) The matches pay division winners $30.- as long as there are five shooters in the division, class winners within a division get paid $20.- as long as there are three shooters in the class.

As match co-director, we pay our own ongoing expenses (prizes, activity fees, targets, tape, sticks, staples, etc.) and are required to turn a profit of 25% of gross receipts for the club. If we need something big --- swingers, new steel targets, etc. we get to petition the board of directors....

Our club is $12.00 for club members and $15.00 for non-mambers, accept when we have an all classifier match and the fees are higher. I don't hink these fees are out of line at all.

I also know that USPSA shooting is THE SINGLE LARGEST source of income for our club. That is for both the monthly matches, and our Thursday night league shoots.

I have gone to a few club shoots where the match fee has been $20.00 or more, and it just depends on the match whether or not I think that is to high. $20.00 for 4 short and so-so stages is high. However, if they have say 6 or 7 really good stages that it is aspparent a lot of work went into then no big deal.

Hell, I have paid as little as $15.00 to shoot 6 good stages as a club level match, and then paid $80.00 to shoot 8 Ho-Hum stages at sectional shoots. :huh:

Since our range is owned by the members, and is a co-op with the park district, there is no charge from the club to the people who put on the match. In effect, the match is put on by the range. Or another way to say it is that there is no distinction between the range and the shooting club, one in the same.