Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5.25 double feeding EVERY MAG

38SuperDub

What a horrible day at the range - took my new 5.25 out today to shoot in my first match shooting production. Almost every mag would at some point double feed. Made a really long crappy day.

Any thoughts?!?!?!

It's heading back now to get checked out by Scott Springer and I know Scott will work his magic it just sucked and had to vent some.

No - it is extracting the spent round - then its picking up 2 shoving 1 in the chamber and one right behind it.

Only thing done to the gun - bought it brand new - sent it off the same day for Front Fiber, Ext Mag Release, and a Springer Trigger Job.

100% Not saying anything Scott did caused this and he talked with me yesterday and I'm sending it back to him. I refrained from mentioning him as doing any work on it because I don't see any way a trigger job can be causing this.

Make sure you tell us what happened once you find out. I shoot the same gun and thus far 1000 rounds without hiccup. You were smart sending it to Scott. If anyone can figure it out he can. Him or Rich orDaniel.

I don't know if I can offer much help here, but there are two things to consider:

Xds like hot loads.

They like a slightly reduced recoil spring, but only to a point.

I was foolish enough to switch powders before a match without extensive testing and had the exact problem described. Bumped the load a little and the gun ran FLAWLESSLY.

It's possible that a new gun just needs to break in a little...

Steve,

Here is my thought - if I bought a gun from Springfield - brand new - and bought factory ammo - it should not need to break it. Sure maybe some but for EVERY MAG to be doing this. Something is not right. The XDM should not require "HOT" loads to run great - if that is the case I want my money back from Springfield because how am I to use FACTORY ammo with my FACTORY gun?

I'm going to let Scott look it over then if no luck I'm going to give Springfield a call and see what they want to do about it.

Edited by bsdubois00

Here's my guess the mags tubes are dirty. The new mags might have some anti corresion grease(which attracts grit). If that were the case the follower would bind and feed at a bad angle. I would clean them with some Hornady one shot it's a dry lube that doesn't attract dust when it is dry. The only time I had a similar feed problem dirty mag. Hope it's a simple fix for you.

no idea, but if is new and doing that, it makes me think the mags are wrong, like they put 40 cal mags in a 9mm gun box,

i will to remember to check and find out what the issue was.

Brandon, I think what Steve was saying is that XD's don't like powder puff 9mm. Mine shoots and feels best with 124gr bullets loaded to 133 power factor. He was just making sure you weren't using loads that barely make minor. Factory ammo should run fine. Send it back to springer, those guys will be able to get it running.

Just saw you sent it back, I'm sure you'll get a sweet gun back.

Edited by technetium-99m

Brandon, I think what Steve was saying is that XD's don't like powder puff 9mm. Mine shoots and feels best with 124gr bullets loaded to 133 power factor. He was just making sure you weren't using loads that barely make minor. Factory ammo should run fine. Send it back to springer, those guys will be able to get it running.

WWB is not powder puff

it makes about 140-145 pf

I wonder about the 40 tubes..... hmmmmmmm

WWB is not powder puff

it makes about 140-145 pf

I wonder about the 40 tubes..... hmmmmmmm

I never really said it was, Steve was just letting him know that dinky 9mm reloads wont run in a lot of XD's. WWB good to go power factor wise and the gun should eat it just fine.

I sent all 6 mags back to Scott also - the are all marked 9mm on the pads as I checked to make sure I didn't order the wrong stuff from Midway (where I got the 3 extra Springfield mags).

Hopefully its something easy - Yea GT I guess I misread - I was like man - WWB is pretty hot for factory if this won't run it nothing will.

Hopefully its something like a bad recoil spring - Scott is a great guy and he talked to me on a SATURDAY and got me a shipping label yesterday - the reason you use someone great like Scott vs putting parts in yourself - SERVICE SERVICE SERVICE!!!!

That Sux, man...hope you get it figgered out soon. The only time my XDM 525 had issues was when I shot a match with my first batch of reloads. Being cautious I loaded them at the minimum book charge, but I didn't have access to a chrono prior to the match. Wayne saw the first one, as he was RO'ing me on that stage. Low power fire didn't cycle the slide all the way and caused a jam. After the match I borrowed a chrono and found they only had 116PF :(

Now, I'm loading 124FMJ Precision Deltas for a PF of 138. Shot 500 of those in practice last week and a match yesterday and didn't have one issue. :cheers:

So I talked with Scott today - they ran the hell out of the gun couldn't get it to choke up.

His thought was a couple things

1) Recoil spring just could be a tad weak - gonna put a 16lb in there

2) If i'm use to running a 1911 and resting my thumb on top of the safety pretty heavy I could be slowing the slide down enough to make it hiccup - just so happens I've been running a 1911 for the past 6+ months and I probably put more pressure than I should in my strong hand. Going to work on this when I get it back.

Gun is heading back to me tomorrow and going to sling some ronds through it again this weekend.

Stay tuned!!!

Riding the slide is common for limited or SS guys when they shoot production and it causes all kinds of issues, but I wouldn't think a double feed

What I've seen most is failure to go into battery from slide ridin'

I am pretty new to the action pistol scene, and also to the XD, but I had an identical doublefeed saturday shooting a SC stage. Here are my observations:

My handloads weren't chrono'd, but should easily make minor - 4.3gr solo/124gr (not suspect)

I took (1) mag apart when I orginally received and cleaned the pistol - it was whistle clean inside. (again not suspect)

I found myself riding the slide several times during the day; locked the slide back one time actually.

(very suspect)

Kevin

So got the gun back and ran it in a match yesterday - it was FTE / JAM not a Double Feed - and the only time it happened yesterday was when I rode the slide like I'm use to with my 1911 - every other stage it ran well - so now time to dry fire and make sure I get use to not slide riding.

That makes complete sense

So got the gun back and ran it in a match yesterday - it was FTE / JAM not a Double Feed - and the only time it happened yesterday was when I rode the slide like I'm use to with my 1911 - every other stage it ran well - so now time to dry fire and make sure I get use to not slide riding.

I have been using xdm's for the past two years and now use the 5.25. I use a 14lbs recoil spring in it with no problems as of yet. I use a 147gr bullet with 3.1 grains of titegroup it chronos 898 average which is pretty lite hitting. I have had no feeding issues with this load.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using xdm's for the past two years and now use the 5.25. I use a 14lbs recoil spring in it with no problems as of yet. I use a 147gr bullet with 3.1 grains of titegroup it chronos 898 average which is pretty lite hitting. I have had no feeding issues with this load.