Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pass through resizing dies.

Shadyscott999

I use a .40 Gizmo push thru resizer.

I have it mounted in an old single stage press.

Every piece of .40 goes thru it. Since I started using it, I've had zero malfs from bulged cases. I've resized a ton of Glocked brass.

Yes, I covet a casepro, but this works fine.

What kind of press and dies are you using? Have any photos of cases that you're having issues with?

I am using a 1050 with RCBS dies. The brass, I bought 10k mixed. Don't have any pics. What should I be looking for?

The issue I am having is that a few times (3-4) per hundred, my slide won't go all the way into battery. A sharp wack to the back of the slide sends it home. I case gauge all match ammo. I just thought it would be a better idea to pick up a cheap single stage press and size them all.

I use a redding grx pass through die and found something interesting the other day. Used range brass passes through with resistance and new brass passes through like it has been lubed with butter. I am sold on the pass through die.

I would go with the Lee Bulge Buster myself. Been VERY happy with it. Currently using the new Lee 9mm MAK FCD for push-through for 9x19 and 9x21 (I sent them at least 2 emails about making one just for this purpose).

The "best" inexpensive SS press for this is the little Lee "Reloading Press." It is about $35 and mine is more than adequate. Also use it for depriming and any other little jobs. I have reloaded .30-30 and .30-06 on it and it does a fine job (sizing if a bit harder than on a larger press with more "leverage," but my loads are not near max so case expansion is not bad). After all, if you are only loading 20-50 rounds at a time, occasionally, why invest in more press than you need?

I use a Lee Bulge Buster for all my .40 brass....works great and they run through my Dillon 550 like butter after sized (I also run an EGW U-die, undersized die, which worked great on it's own but even better with sized brass).

cheap, easy, and works.

LBB for me also, since I started using it not a single round has failed to chamber, I use it on a RCBS Partner Press c-clamped to my bench, the crimping portion of the Lee FCD is long gone, I threw it away.

Do I understand you correctly that you are running 9mm brass through a push through die? You do know that 9mm is a tapered cartridge, that's why no one makes a push through die for it! Did you have any issues with 9mm brass not feeding properly? I have fired many thousands of rounds of 9mm and never had an issue with one that went through the fcd.

Craig

I would go with the Lee Bulge Buster myself. Been VERY happy with it. Currently using the new Lee 9mm MAK FCD for push-through for 9x19 and 9x21 (I sent them at least 2 emails about making one just for this purpose).

The "best" inexpensive SS press for this is the little Lee "Reloading Press." It is about $35 and mine is more than adequate. Also use it for depriming and any other little jobs. I have reloaded .30-30 and .30-06 on it and it does a fine job (sizing if a bit harder than on a larger press with more "leverage," but my loads are not near max so case expansion is not bad). After all, if you are only loading 20-50 rounds at a time, occasionally, why invest in more press than you need?

Cburlette:

Thought I was clear.

Yes, I started hitting 9x19 brass a couple of years ago that formed the famous "raised ridge" near the extractor groove that prevented chambering.

Lee "finally" brought out a 9mm Mak FCD and I am using it on my 9x19 and 9x21 brass. It only hits the extractor groove area, since the cases are taperd, but since that is the area where I was having some trouble with occasional pieces of brass...

While I'll be, I have never herd of 9mm having this issue, but I will keep an eye on things as I reload for my Glock. What gun causes this ridge or bulge? I am switching to 40 for my competition gun and I know I have to check for bulged brass in that caliber.

So does your push through die shave off the .001 of the rim that is wider than the base of the case? Have you ever had an issue with extraction with a slightly undersized rim?

Thanks

Craig

Edited by Cburlette

I have the Lee BB and FCD combo for use on 10mm and .40. I run all my cases throught it for both cartridges. I have had zero feeding or reloading issues. Only complaint is that the operation is not ergonomic and my fingers cramp from time to time when I sit down with a few hundred rounds. A case feed would be nice, but I am cheap so I will get by.

• 1 month later...

I use a hacksawed Lee standard die, as my Tanfoglio mags HATE oversized brass. The chamber is not the issue, its the feeding. I lube, then single stage pass through, deprime, prime then run through the Lee 1000. Not exactly speedy but it works the best.

Lee Bulge Buster set up in an old Lyman Spar-T out on the back porch. I load a thousand or so with the 550 and then sit out on the back porch on a cool, clear, calm evening and mash them up through. I do this AFTER loading as I am running cast lead bullets and like the way the finished case is uniform. At first, I was case-checking each one and only Bulge-Busting those that did not fit the case checker. Then I woke up to realize that it was faster to just run them all through the Bulge Buster.

Forgot to mention that I recommend looking around and picking up an old cast single stage press for this kind of operation. They can be had, even if you have to resort to flea-bay to find one, for about what you would spend on a new, cheap press. I should mention, I keep one of the small cheap Lee presses mounted on a board to quickly be clamped to the bench for whatever too!

Edited by chevyoneton