Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Talk me out of the 1050

I started off with a lee 1000, that was a waste of my money, I then bought a 550, liked it so much I bought another one, then I got a deal on a used 1050, I don't use the 550's except to work up new loads. Go with the 1050 you will love it.....

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my quandary - I was looking at the 650 - but dollar for dollar - it does not seem like as much of an "upgrade" as the 1050. Not to start anything here - but my impression is that the 650 is a 550 that spins the shellplate on its own (with room for a powder check and really needs a case feeder). Hence my question - how many of you bought a 650 and later wish you had spent more and got a 1050? - Compared to those who bought a 650 and were completely satisfied?

Not to hijack this thread - but almost the opposite of the OP - looking for someone to talk me INTO a 1050 - positive reinforcement goes a long way when pulling out the checkbook! :P

OVW

OVW - pull out the checkbook and get the 1050. You will cry only once. The 650 is a fill-the-void press in Dillon's line, and has a number of flaws in my experience (Poor case feed design - it hangs up a lot; poor primer feeding).

I bought a 650 many years ago to supplement my RL1000 and RL1050.

It was a toy in comparison with the 1050, so I sold it within 6 months, then bought another 1050.

Edited by Linear Thinker

If you want to load that much and change calibers frequently a 650 might suit you better. I have a 550, 650 and 1050. The 1050 is used for my competitiion rounds (9, 9 Open and .40) I also used it for .223 for deprime, swage and resize. Use the 650 for loading. Eventually you may want multiple presses to fit your needs. If I had to choose 1 it would be the 650, but that doesn't help with the swage issue!

Here is my quandary - I was looking at the 650 - but dollar for dollar - it does not seem like as much of an "upgrade" as the 1050.

It doesn't seem like that much of an upgrade, but once you've loaded on a 1050 you'll understand. I'm not that much faster reloading on the 1050 compared to my 650, but it requires less effort and my ammo is much more consistent.

how many of you bought a 650 and later wish you had spent more and got a 1050? - Compared to those who bought a 650 and were completely satisfied?

I bought a 650, and about 8 months later bought a 1050. I wish I had just purchased the 1050 right away. For me, I don't need to change calibers very often, so I can load a few thousand rounds for the calibers I shoot very little, then convert back to 40 and continue to crank out ammo.

Sure the cost of tool heads makes me wince - though I might try to get by on two and as shown in other threads, loctite the locking rings to keep the setting. I have Googled every forum and thread I can find on this subject - I keep getting drawn to the machine that is one smooth pull for everything (instead of a pull/push).

The cost of toolheads is indeed expensive for the 1050, however you can do exactly as you said, and re-use toolheads with locking rings that have setscrews on them (rcbs makes them) to save your settings. Let me tell you, one smooth pull instead of a pull/push is much nicer :-)

To the OP - No, I won't talk you out of the 1050 :cheers:

Edited by kalaur

I would skip the 1050 and buy the Ammo Load in the classifieds. I just listed a kidney on ebay.

I would be happy to take that 1050 you just bought off your hands with a nice tidy 100$ in addition to what you paid to help you get to the ammo load.

If you really want to be talked out of the 1050, do some searches here on the forum. Lots of users discussing crushed primers, among other problems.

I noticed that thread. After (despite this thread) leaning toward the 1050 I saw the problems people were having. It looks like a lot if the post were back in 2002.. so I was hoping a lot of the kinks have been worked out of the design. Does that still happen a lot?

If I spend the extra money for the 1050 it damn well be reliable. For the price tag, any hiccups every 100rds is unacceptable. Not for that price.

I just got mine a few months ago .. Can't say there were zero issues/challenges, but in general it works slick. Loaded 2000 rounds on the weekend and had 2 upside down cases, and 1 crushed primer which was due to a powder spill. Other than that, no issues

If you really want to be talked out of the 1050, do some searches here on the forum. Lots of users discussing crushed primers, among other problems.

I noticed that thread. After (despite this thread) leaning toward the 1050 I saw the problems people were having. It looks like a lot if the post were back in 2002.. so I was hoping a lot of the kinks have been worked out of the design. Does that still happen a lot?

If I spend the extra money for the 1050 it damn well be reliable. For the price tag, any hiccups every 100rds is unacceptable. Not for that price.

Brian wrote a great FAQ for all the Dillion presses. It is located in his Dillion storefront. there is pros and cons with all presses.

Which Dillion

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=775&hl=1050 primer&st=50

That thread starts in 2002, but there are comments almost every year until 2011.

Here is another thread.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=136328&st=0&p=1624305&hl=adamson&fromsearch=1entry1624305

Buy the 1050 you'll love it. Remember there are a lot of people out there that just will have trouble with things

ETA: He has problems with a press and I'd have problems figuring how to do the video ;)

Edited by angus6

Buy the 1050 you'll love it. Remember there are a lot of people out there that just will have trouble with things

ETA: He has problems with a press and I'd have problems figuring how to do the video ;)

You got to be kidding me! This reminds me of the time in which I used to sell computers and this lady thought the mouse was a pedal. She placed the mouse on the floor and moved it with her foot. These two will make a great couple.

Edited by xdmreg

My lord ... Really??!! :o

Really, I've no clue of how to do video :angry2:

Here's the kicker the first two responses came from guys that had been on the forum since 02 and 09 and had 6300 posts between them and they missed it.

Their on the range with loaded guns and giving advice to people that ask questions on forums

I havent't laughed that hard in a long while.

Thank you for the vid!

That was an awesome video!! haha!! :goof:

I am primarily reloading pistol loads. 1050 crossed my mind once, and still is now. For 2 fully loaded 650, I get 1 1050. I am still sticking with my 650 for 9 and 40. If I decided to go 45, ill just get another 650. If i will be loading rifle loads, i'd probably go 1050.