Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trouble with rockastle registration

Everyone had that problem this year and last year. I almost missed out last year because I quit trying too soon. This year I kept hitting the back button and then the enter button until the 5 computers I was using gave me the confirmation response several minutes after 8:30pm central time.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

Everyone had that problem. Anyone who tells you they did not see those message was trying to sign in at least 5 minutes after the start time.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Rockcastle-ARFCOM ProAm Statistician

What caused the time difference? Actually having a random time a few minutes after 9:30 EST is probably more fair as long as your ready for it.

Everyone had that problem. Anyone who tells you they did not see those message was trying to sign in at least 5 minutes after the start time.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

What caused the time difference? Actually having a random time a few minutes after 9:30 EST is probably more fair as long as your ready for it.

As long as your ready for it. Would have been nice to know this in advance. 9:30 should be 9:30. Not 9:34, wondering what to do clicking back and forth and wondering if you should hit "submit" again for the 19th time or not.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

As long as your ready for it. Would have been nice to know this in advance. 9:30 should be 9:30. Not 9:34, wondering what to do clicking back and forth and wondering if you should hit "submit" again for the 19th time or not.

After several years of FB3G and other "clock" registrations, none of which ever worked very well), I've learned you gotta rock that mouse until you get some sort of confirmation. I probably clicked at least 30 times in the three minutes it took to work - not counting what my wife and son did.

Sponsored competitors can skip the online sign in if they are CERTAIN 1.) their sponsor IS supporting the match and 2.) donating at the level which earns a free shooting slot and 3.) they will be designated by their sponsor.

I wonder what kind of numbers we are talking here? 1-2, 5-10, 20-50?

How are these taken into account at registration? Seems like you would have to hold back X number of slots for these shooters?

If 3GN really takes off=more sponsored shooters; registration for the average shooter could get harder and harder.

Is there a better way to register?

David E.

If I'm not mistaking, this timer procudure is/was/has been instituted to avoid random draw.

In effect, every year there has been problems, and it's actually been a random entry after you factor in the error messages screwing with everyone.

And then there are shooters gaming the system, multiple entries, friends entering friends, multiple pages being entered, multiple computers being used, and on and on.

SINCE IT WINDS UP BEING RANDOM ANYWAY......

You send in your entry with the fee. I'm pretty sure that will limit it to 1 entry per shooter. Everyone has to be entered into the match database anyway, so as the entries arrive they get entered into the database. Have a cutoff date, allow 10 days for entries to straggle in. Do online entries with credit cards. At some set date do a live online random draw. Have the NRA Pres do the draw, or my wife, or your girlfriend, or anybody's grandmother. Pull the shooters for the match, and then do the standby list. Everyone has to add $5 for the NRA-ILA.

And then put everyone that's in the match into online squading.

Benefits: you can liesurely build the match database over the 30 days of entry time and you don't have to match up entry codes with applications a second time, it all gets done at the beginning - probably like the other matches.

And with the growing amount of big matches, and the fact that we can't all shoot all the matches, there is a chance there would only be enough entries that you wouldn't have to do the drawing - everyone that enters is in the match, which would totally avoid all this hassle.

If we're going to do random anyway, let's have some fun with it. IMHO

If I'm not mistaking, this timer procudure is/was/has been instituted to avoid random draw.

In effect, every year there has been problems, and it's actually been a random entry after you factor in the error messages screwing with everyone.

And then there are shooters gaming the system, multiple entries, friends entering friends, multiple pages being entered, multiple computers being used, and on and on.

You send in your entry with the fee. I'm pretty sure that will limit it to 1 entry per shooter. Everyone has to be entered into the match database anyway, so as the entries arrive they get entered into the database. Have a cutoff date, allow 10 days for entries to straggle in. Do online entries with credit cards. At some set date do a live online random draw. Have the NRA Pres do the draw, or my wife, or your girlfriend, or anybody's grandmother. Pull the shooters for the match, and then do the standby list. Everyone has to add $5 for the NRA-ILA.

Benefits: you can liesurely build the match database over the 30 days of entry time and you don't have to match up entry codes with applications a second time, it all gets done at the beginning - probably like the other matches.

And with the growing amount of big matches, and the fact that we can't all shoot all the matches, there is a chance there would only be enough entries that you wouldn't have to do the drawing - everyone that enters is in the match, which would totally avoid all this hassle.

Think about this another way. If we had a national organization that administered these matches the organization could give each shooter say ten points to use each year. If a shooter desired to attend an over subscribed match they could use those points in addition to their entry fee to enter the match. For example if a shooter wanted to attend Rocky Mt, LaRue and AR15 they could use 4 points on one of them and 3 points on the other two. The shooters who paid the most points would get in and when the match was full then the rest would go on a waiting list. But that can not happen unless there is a national organization.

The match organizers look at it, and correctly so, that as long as their match is full that they are happy. But that is a short term outlook. As we see more and more major matches come on line, and by this time next year there will be two more, the match organizers are going to have to scramble harder to fill their matches. Shooters are loyal and they will be loyal to match organizers who show loyalty to them. The matches that give entry priority to those who have shot the match before never have a problem filling their matches. Those that want to have a competition to gain entry or who use a random draw, will over time have a harder time filling their matches and it is just this simple. If I know because I have shot Match A before that I have priority to enter the match I am more likely to plan to return to that match since when I am planning my shooting year I know I will get in the match when scheduling my vacation.

Think about this another way. If we had a national organization that administered these matches the organization could give each shooter say ten points to use each year. If a shooter desired to attend an over subscribed match they could use those points in addition to their entry fee to enter the match. For example if a shooter wanted to attend Rocky Mt, LaRue and AR15 they could use 4 points on one of them and 3 points on the other two. The shooters who paid the most points would get in and when the match was full then the rest would go on a waiting list. But that can not happen unless there is a national organization.

The match organizers look at it, and correctly so, that as long as their match is full that they are happy. But that is a short term outlook. As we see more and more major matches come on line, and by this time next year there will be two more, the match organizers are going to have to scramble harder to fill their matches. Shooters are loyal and they will be loyal to match organizers who show loyalty to them. The matches that give entry priority to those who have shot the match before never have a problem filling their matches. Those that want to have a competition to gain entry or who use a random draw, will over time have a harder time filling their matches and it is just this simple. If I know because I have shot Match A before that I have priority to enter the match I am more likely to plan to return to that match since when I am planning my shooting year I know I will get in the match when scheduling my vacation.

Yet another national organization/sanctioning body? Please no. I'd rather just take my chances on whatever method of registration the match organizers decide to use. Sometime you get in sometimes not, its not the end of the world.

Hell, I am still trying to register, stand-by or whatever and can not get a response! Oh well. What happened to just sending in an entry form with a check!!

Jack

Edited by Jack T

Yet another national organization/sanctioning body? Please no. I'd rather just take my chances on whatever method of registration the match organizers decide to use. Sometime you get in sometimes not, its not the end of the world.

If we want this sport to mature we need a sanctioning body. I know that they never function perfectly but to avoid one invites chaos. NASCAR and the PGA did not get to where they were by leaving everyone alone to run their own show. 3GN is showing us what could be if we all work together.

"Not the end of the world" depends on your situation. If you want to shoot 3 gun and can not afford to shoot nationally, being locked out of the matches close by that you can drive to effectively puts you on the sidelines.

3GN is not NASCAR or the PGA. Hell, NASCAR is not even NASCAR. The only match I have ever had trouble getting into is the Ironman. The entry method this year was not happening. And I have a PhD in particle physics and am married to a Dallas Cowgirl.

No need of another body. Especially if its USPSA for multigun. IMG rules are far better for multigun IMO. USPSA rules still make the pistol side the king. Its not so in IMG. I like a 9 for this game. NO minor or major. Easy score of 2 on paper. USPSA is great for pistol suff. Not so much for multigun. Opinions may vary.

If we want this sport to mature we need a sanctioning body. I know that they never function perfectly but to avoid one invites chaos. NASCAR and the PGA did not get to where they were by leaving everyone alone to run their own show. 3GN is showing us what could be if we all work together.

"Not the end of the world" depends on your situation. If you want to shoot 3 gun and can not afford to shoot nationally, being locked out of the matches close by that you can drive to effectively puts you on the sidelines.

Just because you or I don't get to participate in a match doesn't mean that anyone was "locked out". Its like big ornery Joe is fond of saying, "its just luck of the draw".

I'm pretty sure making 3 gun like NASCAR would be a disaster. Relatively few actual participants and a blue million fans. That might be a good way to generate interest in the sport and lots of revenue, but unless you get to drive it doesn't sound like much fun.

USPSA seems intent on being the only body. Too many people like IMG style rules and USPSA needs to adopt that rule set for multigun or get over it.

What USPSA does right is it is an elected body composed of representatives responsive to a specific area. What USPSA has done wrong is that it has problems growing beyond just being a group with a pistol focus. Rules are rules and one set is not really better than another objectively speaking but if USPSA were to get into stand alone rifle and stand alone shotgun before they tried to do multigun they would have a very different perspective.

What USPSA also has is an effective staff and the ability to publish a national magazine. Were USPSA to offer their benefits to an organization composed of an elected board which was apart from those who govern pistol matches, I am rather confident you would see a set of rules emerge that were more responsive to what most MG shooters desired.

Again, as the number of shooting venues grow and the number of shooters grow, the ability to coordinate things will grow more critical. Maybe we are going to have to see major matches shoot the same weekends before someone wakes up and realizes that we need to work in concert and do so with a governing body.

USPSA multigun rules are 31 pages. Plus whatever number of pages cover power factor, targets and whatever. I didnt want to take all the time to read something that looks like its a IRS document.

IMG rules are about about 2 and 1/2.

And yet the biggest and most popular matches seem to run just fine with so few.

IMG seems to be doing pretty well without a staff and a national magazine. I guess a TV show is a poor substitute.

The elephant in the room is USPSA smells money.

Did anyone else have trouble with registration? " to early " etc....

Yep, and that is not the part that bothers me the most.

Having a buddy complete registration 3min after I did and get in the match no problem. Yet I am stuck on the wait list....