Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking about getting an M1A for heavy metal

Alaskapopo

Which M1A set up is best suited to three gun for heavy metal or tac irons. My tax return is going to be a bit lighter than I planned so a Larue, JP or SCAR is out for now.

Pat

No DPMS?

No thanks on DPMS, RRA or Bushmaster. The brands above are about the only ones I would consider.JP is nice but a bit heavier and more costly than the Larue. The SCAR is nice but expensive and the mags, trigger and after market rail would bring it up another 1K. So I got to thinking maybe going old school with an M1A. I may just save my money and see if I can see a PredatOBR, JP and SCAR17 at the Texas Multigun match this April.

Pat

Which M1A set up is best suited to three gun for heavy metal or tac irons. My tax return is going to be a bit lighter than I planned so a Larue, JP or SCAR is out for now.

Pat

No DPMS?

No thanks on DPMS, RRA or Bushmaster. The brands above are about the only ones I would consider.JP is nice but a bit heavier and more costly than the Larue. The SCAR is nice but expensive and the mags, trigger and after market rail would bring it up another 1K. So I got to thinking maybe going old school with an M1A. I may just save my money and see if I can see a PredatOBR, JP and SCAR17 at the Texas Multigun match this April.

Pat

You could go very 'old school' and grab an M1 Garand before you go to Texas Multigun. Shoot ya some WW2 division! ;) OK, I'll get serious.

Bryan Ray has recommended the M1A Loaded in synthetic stock, if I recall correctly. Romero used some form of Noveske with the irons pushed way out to the near-end of the muzzle break last year when he was up against Bryan at Ozark. Hopefully Bryan and Mr. Kelley can stop by to give us their thoughts.

My local shop could get me out the door with a Loaded M1A stainless steel barrel in synthetic for just north of $1700 after tax.

NOTE: Dan posted while I was writing mine.

Edited by michael1778

I went with a loaded in camo. I love it for irons. Plenty accurate enough to get hits out to 400 yds with surplus ammo. I have a couple of DPMS for optics. The M1A just points so well. I am looking into getting Benny to put a Rolling Thunder comp on it. I did look into a LaRue but never got to check on out on the range day. So I ordered a couple of guns from DPMS the next day. I picked the Springfield up on a trade. Turns out I love to shoot it the best. Takes a hog down really well.

Mike

Pat

No DPMS?

Pat

Then why not build one yourself? How much harder can it be then building a AR-15?

Pat

No DPMS?

Pat

Then why not build one yourself? How much harder can it be then building a AR-15?

I have considered that as well but it would still be over what I would pay for the M1A with the parts I would want to use. My mind is not made up just thinking of my options. My main question is which M1A do I need. For example is the National Match gun a waste of money for our game and is the Loaded a better choice for the money?

Thanks

Pat

I have considered that as well but it would still be over what I would pay for the M1A with the parts I would want to use. My mind is not made up just thinking of my options. My main question is which M1A do I need. For example is the National Match gun a waste of money for our game and is the Loaded a better choice for the money?

Thanks

Pat

I searched this particular forum for 'M1a national match'; not the three words in quotes as a rigid phrase, simply those three words.

Some quick results of interest below.

Thoughts from Bryan:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=125388&st=0&p=1416291&hl=m1a%20national%20match&fromsearch=1entry1416291

Some advise from Kurt:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30250&st=0&p=348363&hl=m1a%20national%20match&fromsearch=1entry348363

Thanks

Pat

I searched this particular forum for 'M1a national match'; not the three words in quotes as a rigid phrase, simply those three words.

Thoughts from Bryan:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=125388&st=0&p=1416291&hl=m1a%20national%20match&fromsearch=1entry1416291

Some advise from Kurt:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30250&st=0&p=348363&hl=m1a%20national%20match&fromsearch=1entry348363

Sorry rockie move on my part not using search. I did look up a site and found that the national match is guarnteed at 1.5 moa with match ammo and the loaded is at 3 moa. I think I am going to get the National Match its $300 more from my FFL. I will follow Kurts advice on the sights and trigger.

Mr. PoPo,

If you are going to actualy compete in HM limited then the m1a or M14 sa would be a great choice. Most recommend a medium weight barrel and a well bedded action. I would not dare to offer a disenting opinion, but I will say it is possible to find a government profile barrel that can hang with a medium. Whatever model you settle on I would strongly recommend against a hooded NM rear sight, it is just too small, and the extra adjustment is not helpfull in our game. I like an oversized mag release and bolt hold open on mine as well as an apature front sight (alley) and an SJC comp. Most prefer fiberglass, I prefer an oversized GI birch stock, you milage may vary. Get a loaded and see if you like it would be my recommendation, but if you are looking for something will do double duty as a heavy Tac gun, get a large frame AR.

Cheers

Mr. PoPo,

If you are going to actualy compete in HM limited then the m1a or M14 sa would be a great choice. Most recommend a medium weight barrel and a well bedded action. I would not dare to offer a disenting opinion, but I will say it is possible to find a government profile barrel that can hang with a medium. Whatever model you settle on I would strongly recommend against a hooded NM rear sight, it is just too small, and the extra adjustment is not helpfull in our game. I like an oversized mag release and bolt hold open on mine as well as an apature front sight (alley) and an SJC comp. Most prefer fiberglass, I prefer an oversized GI birch stock, you milage may vary. Get a loaded and see if you like it would be my recommendation, but if you are looking for something will do double duty as a heavy Tac gun, get a large frame AR.

Cheers

If I got the Match version how hard is it to swap sights to something like you and Kurt recommend. I want a birch stock for the looks. I also like the SJC comp on my AR's.

Pat

Pat,

The front sight is easy. The rear sight isn't hard either, but, could require some fitting, particularly if it's a sloppy fit. I used my M1A for Highpower quite a few years ago, and had the small aperature rear, (.052). I easily opened it up to .063, to allow more light through. It gives you an option.

Pat,

The front sight is easy. The rear sight isn't hard either, but, could require some fitting, particularly if it's a sloppy fit. I used my M1A for Highpower quite a few years ago, and had the small aperature rear, (.052). I easily opened it up to .063, to allow more light through. It gives you an option.

How do you open it up? With a drill?

Pat

Pat,

How do you open it up? With a drill?

Pat

I did just use a drill, held in a small drill chuck. I just looked in the wire size index and started with the .059, then went to the .063. If that's not enough, I have more drills. :D

Thanks

Pat

Thoughts from Bryan:

Some advise from Kurt:

Sorry rockie move on my part not using search. I did look up a site and found that the national match is guarnteed at 1.5 moa with match ammo and the loaded is at 3 moa. I think I am going to get the National Match its $300 more from my FFL. I will follow Kurts advice on the sights and trigger.

i think the loaded has a medium heavy barrel. i had a standard m1a that i sent back and had a medium heavy barrel put on. it would consistently shoot one-half MOA at all distances with match ammo. ball ammo went a bit bigger.

Cool thanks I will have a friend of mine do the drilling for me as I know I would screw it up. Something about the looks of the M1A has me wanting one again. Can you guys post pics of yours.

Pat

Unlike Mr Kelley, most of us don't have "stock photos" of our toys. :P I'll try and get something posted later. I did notice that Pat has hooded rear sights on both of his guns.