Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking about getting an M1A for heavy metal

Alaskapopo

Here's some match photos courtesy of 3 Gun Nation:

399106496.jpg

399062634.jpg

401010523.jpg

My rifle is an older Loaded model w/ Springfield NM medium weight barrel. It's wearing a non-bedded USGI surplus synthetic stock. I'd like to have it bedded, but I've never gotten around to it. The front sight adapter is made by Smith Enterprises and I've been using a SJC Titan brake. I switched out the Titan to a Surefire last week, but haven't had the opportunity to try it out yet. The Titan sends so much gas back at the shooter it's right at the line of painful to shoot up against barricades. I'll see if the Surefire is any better. Other mods are a .060" front sight (made w/ a file), shimmed gas cylinder, and skate tape on the butt plate.

Edited by Bryan 45

The Titan sends so much gas back at the shooter it's right at the line of painful to shoot up against barricades. I'll see if the Surefire is any better.

Bryan, if the Surefire is anything like their .223 brake I have on my work gun it's going to be just as bad. Granted my work gun is 11.5" but it's real loud.

Edited by R112mercer

Here's some match photos courtesy of 3 Gun Nation:

399106496.jpg

399062634.jpg

401010523.jpg

My rifle is an older Loaded model w/ Springfield NM medium weight barrel. It's wearing a non-bedded USGI surplus synthetic stock. I'd like to have it bedded, but I've never gotten around to it. The front sight adapter is made by Smith Enterprises and I've been using a SJC Titan brake. I switched out the Titan to a Surefire last week, but haven't had the opportunity to try it out yet. The Titan sends so much gas back at the shooter it's right at the line of painful to shoot up against barricades. I'll see if the Surefire is any better. Other mods are a .060" front sight (made w/ a file), shimmed gas cylinder, and skate tape on the butt plate.

Bryan, those are some great photos.

How did you time the SJC on your M1A? I have the Smith Ent adapter and I'm using a Jam nut. It seems to add another half inch to my 18 in gun.

Also do you ever change your POI when bracing off of anything?

When I screwed it on my adapter, it came up hand tight at about 10 o'clock. I laid a piece of 220g sandpaper on a flat work surface, held the comp as plumb as I could, and sanded the back of the comp down to let it time properly. Best I remember it took between 220 and 240 passes on the sand paper. I used a little blue locktite and a wrench to tighten it down and never had a problem w/ it moving.

Peel washers would have been MUCH easier. The Surefire brake shipped with an assortment of different size shims (different thickness washers).

I have never noticed a POI shift on barricades. I've read that w/ the M1A there may be one if the shooter is monopodding, but luckily 20 round mags are too short to do that. I always try to brace the rifle right around the front sling swivel, which is where I hold it when shooting offhand also.

I have never noticed a POI shift on barricades. I've read that w/ the M1A there may be one if the shooter is monopodding, but luckily 20 round mags are too short to do that. I always try to brace the rifle right around the front sling swivel, which is where I hold it when shooting offhand also.

Proper bedding will help too. Just do not rest the barrel on anything!

• 1 month later...