Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good shot gun for heavy metal/ WWII div

Murdoc

Just wondering what a good out of the box shotgun would be to buy for heavy metal/ WWII division. Looking for something reasonably priced, pump 12ga and something that I shouldn't have to do to much to... Wondering what others are using and what's been done to them to competition ready. Thanks for the info!

The Winchester Practical 1300 was the best heavy metal shotgun ever. We should make Winchester produce them again. I have to borrow Angus Hobdell's every time I shoot heavy metal.

I have one for sale, Kelly...you need it for the HeMan Nationals...

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

I started w/ a Rem 870, using a 18" improved cyl police barrel. I quickly realized I wanted choke tubes and a vent rib to help with getting the bead on target. After switching to a 21" barrel w/ the 870 for about a year, I went to the Benelli Nova w/ 24" barrel. It's smooth operating and loads easier than any other shotgun- pump or auto. The carrier stays up after the first shell goes in, the loading port is huge due to the 3 1/2" chamber, and Nordic makes extensions for it. Stick a +5 tube on the 24" Nova and you're ready to go shoot.

And it's current production from Benelli, so no issue w/ warranty or parts if something breaks.

I started w/ a Rem 870, using a 18" improved cyl police barrel. I quickly realized I wanted choke tubes and a vent rib to help with getting the bead on target. After switching to a 21" barrel w/ the 870 for about a year, I went to the Benelli Nova w/ 24" barrel. It's smooth operating and loads easier than any other shotgun- pump or auto. The carrier stays up after the first shell goes in, the loading port is huge due to the 3 1/2" chamber, and Nordic makes extensions for it. Stick a +5 tube on the 24" Nova and you're ready to go shoot.

And it's current production from Benelli, so no issue w/ warranty or parts if something breaks.

I can agree with everything that Bryan says about the Benelli Nova. I shoot a 24" field model with a +5 Nordic tube. You can get into one of these (with the tube) for $500 new. That is a lot of shotgun for the money. I don't think you would be disappointed with one.

Hurley

If money is an issue....you can pickup a used Winchester 1300 Turkey For no more than $300. It is a 22" barrel with choke tubes and has a black synthetic stock and forearm. Plus 4-5 tube and your are good to go......

Just wondering what a good out of the box shotgun would be to buy for heavy metal/ WWII division. Looking for something reasonably priced, pump 12ga and something that I shouldn't have to do to much to... Wondering what others are using and what's been done to them to competition ready. Thanks for the info!

If you are planning on doing WW2 division in Texas in April, be aware that the magazine capacity is restricted to 6, if I recall the rules correctly.

I have a Benelli SuperNova 24" myself. But I doubt I'll do actual WW2 at the Texas match. Heavy Metal in later matches? Maybe. I'm trying to keep my options open.

If you are planning on doing WW2 division in Texas in April, be aware that the magazine capacity is restricted to 6, if I recall the rules correctly.

I have a Benelli SuperNova 24" myself. But I doubt I'll do actual WW2 at the Texas match. Heavy Metal in later matches? Maybe. I'm trying to keep my options open.

Chicken, bet you're all cozy warm sitting on some eggs right now. WW2 all the way.

Edited by GeneralChang

Chicken, bet you're all coxy warm sitting on some eggs right now. WW2 all the way.

Sheldon, don't be funny when I'm trying to drink. I almost choked! :roflol:

Emotionally, I'm totally there for WW2. But financially, I have a hard time making the M1 and .45 single stack purchase for a match I'd do once a year. :( I'm also a fairly terrible rifleman, for now. So, for the moment, I'm registered for Limited. I suspect the WW2 shooters will have more fun than anyone else at the match.

I'm shooting a kimber 1911 that conforms to USPSA Single Stack Division. For my shotgun, I'm shooting an 18.5 inch Benelli Supernova with rifle sights and a couple of rebuilt Garands. I'll be using kydex type holsters and pouches...none of which are period correct. The intent of this was allow a competitor to get a small idea of what it may have been like to have been shooting 3 gun back then. The real heavy metal but I digress. Link to the rules for more information. Rules

An M1897 or Model 12 (or modern replica of either) should be the logical choice. Thats what I would use if I were so inclined to shoot wwII division. As well as a 1911 and a Garand of course.

Remington Model 31 or Ithaca 37 would be good choices also, and easy to load. My pick would be the '97 though, I love the way they feel.

Hurley