Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone use multiple tool head setups with the same caliber dies?

i'm wondering if anyone has multiple toolheads set up in the same caliber. I was thinking I could set up 1 toolhead for 230gr FMJ and another toolhead for 200gr SWC and never have to worry about changing anything besides the toolheads. I'm thinking about doing the same thing for 9mm, getting one setup for 147gr FMJ for subsonic loads and then another for 115 or 124 for plinking loads. or am i being too lazy?

Got 4 toolheads for 4 different 308 guns + trim toolhead.

Now for handguns I'd just get a Redding Comp seater, but with rifle rounds there's more to adjust like shoulder bump and portion of the neck to be sized (bushing).

Edited by DEP44

i have one toolhead setup the way i like it, and i really don't want to mess it up. so i was thinking about playing with other types styles of projectiles, like testing some Bayou Bullets and plates bullets instead of using purely Precision Delta projectiles. its like having one test setup and one production.

i was basically trying to find out, how people go about testing multiple projectiles while going back to load for competition. i guess i should just stock pile some ammo too so i don't have to worry about it.

I use two heads for loading 5.56, but not for separate loads. I use one for case prep and one for loading. If I had two separate 5.56 loads I would consider it. I've considered doing a 55 gr Vmax, I currently do 75 gr match. So my tool heads would be:

1. Case Prep

2. 75 grain reloads

3. 55 grain vmax

If you're just changing bullets and powder weight, you may want to look at getting lock rings for your existing seater die (RCBS or hornady make ones that lock on the threads) and an additional seater die. Then when you want to change your press over, swap preset powder measures, and swap preset bullet seating dies, and start pulling the handle.

Yup all the time for 5 calibers.... well except 38SPL/357MAG that i will be ordering the redding seating die for that cal. and soon 2 toolheads for 223 one for resizing and trimming the other for powdering,seating bullets,tamper crimping. good luck!

I am running two tool heads in 38 Spl. One for smokeless 125gr rnfp and one for 777 Black Powder Substitute and a special long ogive BP bullet. Just makes things easier since I would be changing powder throw and seating depth with each bullet. I also am running a third head with the 357 mag.

If you're just changing bullets and powder weight, you may want to look at getting lock rings for your existing seater die (RCBS or hornady make ones that lock on the threads) and an additional seater die. Then when you want to change your press over, swap preset powder measures, and swap preset bullet seating dies, and start pulling the handle.

that is a good idea. i do have two lock rings i can use. i do have an extra set of .45acp dies, that's why i was asking about it. i happened to purchase a set locally and then ended up buying a used press w/ some .45acp dies that came with it. so now i have two sets and was debating on selling one or keeping them both and setting them up, 1 for jacketed, and one for moly coated/lead.

I had not thought about it but it does sound like a good idea if you are switching back and fourth a lot. I have not had to yet but have changed my .38 dies for .357 and .40 for 10mm. I don't envision running much 10mm again, and have pretty much settled on one .40 S&W bullet/load so won't worry about it for that head. I could see me setting up maybe two .38 heads and one .357 head though. A .38 head for 148 wadcutters in the S&W 52, a .38 head for 158 grain bullets in everything-else, and a .357 head. Nah, I am too cheap for that!