Introducing PractiScore

Brian N.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For quick updates for the application, you guys need to start using Dropbox on all your Nooks... Then just copy the .APK file to DB, open it in the file manager (you do have a file manager on your Nooks right?), and install it from the single sync'd DropBox directory. Not to mention we use DB for all kinds of other things.

Where do you find the dropbox directory in andexplorer? I don't see it. Are you able to use dropbox on your nooks without a microsd card in the slot?

Not bragging, but I don't know what we'd do if we had to go back to paper. And Thanks To Chris (JCWREN to some of you), he's created all kinds of little tools to make the integration with SSI functional and solve some issues even with EZWS....

No please, go right ahead and brag! You all have developed so many different utilities and procedures to make this work, there's no reason in the world other than just breaking down and buying the devices that ANY club couldn't go to electronic scoring.

(A written treatise on how we make all this come together would be nice just in case one of us gets run over by a truck on the way to our respective ranges!)

Bill, you don't even need to use andexplorer... but now you are going to make me go figure out how to do it from dropbox... I know I don't open it in andexplorer, I just select it from dropbox and it will load it.... but I'll have to verify the exact steps.

Alan

1.2.1 FW on the NST and 1.0.15 PS version. I rooted via the process documented here : http://www.brianenos...howtopic=166830 which BTW is super super easy and all graphical. I'm re-rooting all the other club nooks to this method since it is so complete and offers easy customization.

I'll post pictures and post it in the bugs page tonight when I get off work.

Keyboard issue fixed in 1.0.16

NOT! The 1.2.1 firmware changes the keyboard. 1.0.16 and 1.1.0 firmware had the right keyboard, 1.0.16 and 1.2.1 does not. Here is a picture.

Practiscorekeyboard_zpsaa111e85.jpg

If I remember right, and I spent a good bit of time going over this with Josh (the prior programmer on PS)... the nice keyboard is a custom one (or at least not the default one). An application can put up whatever keyboard it wants to. it's not per-se a function of the OS (or os version). The 10 keypad keyboard is the Phone one actually if memory serves me right, it has the period and the - etc. Josh I believe had to assign (can't remember the correct android parlance) that keyboard to that activity/screen etc. In order to get it to function.

The way this picture shows is the the way it was originally until Josh changed it sometime back on the 0.9.x days...So I suspect with the 1.2 update, something changed either removing the keyboard, or the root kit could have removed it as well where it is a phone option and there isn't a phone in a NST.... Just a guess, but we've been down this road before...

(A written treatise on how we make all this come together would be nice just in case one of us gets run over by a truck on the way to our respective ranges!)

Been working on this, but it's been slow going. Also, Shoot'n'Score It decided to re-arrange things, and all the instructions I wrote for creating a match from scratch (working from the assumption that user barely knows how to press the enter key) now have to be re-written.

As a quick follow up on the DropBox thing... And one NOTE, I *DO* have an 2g SD card in my nook... I just leave it there all the time as you never know that they are dirt cheap.

Anyway, put the .apk file in your DB, click it on the listing on your nook, it will download and install.

but again, note, that is with an SD card installed in the nook... but it's still simpler than using andexplorer and still needing an SD card to install it.

Alan

Ok, here is a stupid question. Why upgrade the Nook OS? Did you upgrade the Nook OS simply because there was a newer version available to upgrade to? Are there any Match Scoring/PractiScore functionality benefits to upgrading the Nook OS from 1.1.0 to 1.2.0? I don't know about you guys but I am keeping all of my Nook's at 1.1.0 until there is an actual REASON to upgrade it which would improve the match scoring functionality of the Nooks.

You guys have to put this stuff into perspective. We are using a Nook Simple Touch that was designed for the purpose of an eReader. We take that device and hack it to load a Rooted OS on it along with apps to perform match scoring procedures (PractiScore, Drop Box, etc). We are WELL off the beaten path with using these devices beyond their intended function. We are also WELL off the beaten path when it comes to properly testing all of the possible Nook OS version / Rooting OS version / Scoring App version configurations.

To make a long story short, don't expect the Nook / PractiScore solution to work "Issue/Bug Free" when you throw a monkey wrench into the mix by upgrading something that doesn't even need to be upgraded.

I think that the PractiScore team has been very helpful in trying to optimize their App for the Nook Simple Touch. But everyone needs to understand that they are not responsible for troubleshooting or supporting the actual Devices, especially ones that have to be Hacked in order for them to be used with PractiScore.

Using a Hacked Android device for match scoring is always going to be a risk when it comes to functionality and support. It will NEVER be made 100% monkey proof or bug free because there is NOT a dedicated resource that is testing every possible configuration and fixing the issues. Proper research needs to be done before you make fundamental changes to the device, such as upgrading the OS version. This is the price of using a "Cheap" scoring device for match scoring. If you want monkey proof, bug free Device OS functionality you should be using iOS devices (iPhones, iPods, iPads). That level of functionality and reliability comes with a price though, as those devices are easily 2 - 3 times as expensive as a Nook. Choose your poison wisely.

Thanks Charlie. I spend couple hours yesterday beating my head to the wall, trying to replicate rooting process Alan and other guys are using. It just hang on my NST. So, will have to put this one on hold til I get some more free time.

Bottom line is that we have to set special entry type for time fields in PS running on Nook (specifically a phone keyboard). For some reason that workaround doesn't work with 1.2.1 firmware. I won't be able to investigate that til I get my hands on device with such configuration.

I am not completely certain if it will work, but you could try to find an application for Android that adds another custom keyboard. E.g. https://play.google.com/store/search?q=keyboard&c=apps

BTW, there is a handy marketsearch app that should work on NST.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=youten.redo.searchmarket&hl=en

Ok, here is a stupid question. Why upgrade the Nook OS? Did you upgrade the Nook OS simply because there was a newer version available to upgrade to? Are there any Match Scoring/PractiScore functionality benefits to upgrading the Nook OS from 1.1.0 to 1.2.0? I don't know about you guys but I am keeping all of my Nook's at 1.1.0 until there is an actual REASON to upgrade it which would improve the match scoring functionality of the Nooks.

The nooks I did this on CAME with 1.2.1. I tried unsuccessfully to install 1.1.0 and gave up and looked for a different root. Anyone who buys a Nook now runs the risk of getting one with a later firmware so it behooves us to find another way around.

Plus I much prefer the setup of the 1.2.1 root. The mod buttons feature is super nice as scorers do not need to slide their finger to unlock or to select practiscore to start scoring. They simple tap the "n" button twice and away they go.

As a quick follow up on the DropBox thing... And one NOTE, I *DO* have an 2g SD card in my nook... I just leave it there all the time as you never know that they are dirt cheap.

Anyway, put the .apk file in your DB, click it on the listing on your nook, it will download and install.

but again, note, that is with an SD card installed in the nook... but it's still simpler than using andexplorer and still needing an SD card to install it.

Okay, that's basically what I'm doing now, I just swap the sd card from nook to nook.

Thanks Charlie. I spend couple hours yesterday beating my head to the wall, trying to replicate rooting process Alan and other guys are using. It just hang on my NST.

The rooting procedure developed by Chris and used by he, Alan, and myself does indeed hang if you're trying to root a 1.2.x device; I found out about that last november. No way around it, it just doesn't work. You have to hard-reset the device with a firmware restore back to as-shipped to ever get it back.

Plus I much prefer the setup of the 1.2.1 root. The mod buttons feature is super nice as scorers do not need to slide their finger to unlock or to select practiscore to start scoring. They simple tap the "n" button twice and away they go.

You can program what the n button does...I have mine programmed to bring up Practiscore with a long 2 second press.

Ok, here is a stupid question. Why upgrade the Nook OS? ...

Because the rooting procedure (I've been told) doesn't work with 1.0 or 1.0.1. You have to be at 1.1.0 to have any success.

I rooted my first one on 1.0.1...but then discovered new version of nooter software for 1.1.0 and have been using it since. You have to have the correct nooter software for the version you are rooting....but you already knew that, didn't ya Bill? ;)

I rooted my first one on 1.0.1...but then discovered new version of nooter software for 1.1.0 and have been using it since. You have to have the correct nooter software for the version you are rooting....but you already knew that, didn't ya Bill? ;)

Now I do. As I said, I tried rooting a 1.2.0 and it hung hard.

Ok, here is a stupid question. Why upgrade the Nook OS? ...

Because the rooting procedure (I've been told) doesn't work with 1.0 or 1.0.1. You have to be at 1.1.0 to have any success.

The point I was trying to make is NOT upgrading the OS of devices that are already rooted and being used for scoring. Setting up new Nooks is a different story.

The point I was trying to make is NOT upgrading the OS of devices that are already rooted and being used for scoring. ...

Oh well that's absolutely true! Once you've got the device configured the way you want, there's no reason to go back and screw with the B&N half of it.

If I remember right, and I spent a good bit of time going over this with Josh (the prior programmer on PS)... the nice keyboard is a custom one (or at least not the default one). An application can put up whatever keyboard it wants to. it's not per-se a function of the OS (or os version). The 10 keypad keyboard is the Phone one actually if memory serves me right, it has the period and the - etc. Josh I believe had to assign (can't remember the correct android parlance) that keyboard to that activity/screen etc. In order to get it to function.

The way this picture shows is the the way it was originally until Josh changed it sometime back on the 0.9.x days...So I suspect with the 1.2 update, something changed either removing the keyboard, or the root kit could have removed it as well where it is a phone option and there isn't a phone in a NST.... Just a guess, but we've been down this road before...

That makes sense. I don't think it is the Root because if I use this root on a 1.1.0 device I get the proper keyboard with the 1.0.16 Practiscore version. it only doesn't work once the Nook is at the 1.2.x firmware level. I'm trying to figure out if B&N changed something in the keyboard file in the new firmware.

I've figured out several ways to install a new keyboard but they all pose the same problem which is it adds considerably to the complexity of the install. NookManager allows custom scripts to be run- I wonder if we could program up a custom script to install a different keyboard?

NookManager Root for 1.2.x Nook Simple Touch

Bottom line is that we have to set special entry type for time fields in PS running on Nook (specifically a phone keyboard). For some reason that workaround doesn't work with 1.2.1 firmware. I won't be able to investigate that til I get my hands on device with such configuration.

Ok - I figured it out. 1.2.x either does not have the phone keyboard in the same place or doesn't have it at all. I installed a free keyboard called "hackerskeyboard" (don't just google that becase you have to have a specific version for it to work on the NST) and was able to see the phone keyboard properly. My guess is that B&N removed the phone keyboard in the 1.2.1 firmware. Trying to find where in the file system the default keyboards live.

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm with a 1.21 NST that the old keyboard (or some variant thereof) does still exist, and it's being called in PS 1.0.16. If you go in to manually add a competitor, go into the phone number field and you'll see what the old keyboard looked like:

20130222_233642.jpg

We are using Nook with v1.1.0, now using PS v1.0.16. Mostly good, However last week at USPSA match, twice we had scored a shooter, went to review, and it took the scorer to the squad list. Returning to that shooter, all target scores and time had disappeared. Shooter had to reshoot. Happened on two different Nooks.

Same thing happened today during our Steel match, but since all we had was 4 times to enter, the score keeper remembered the times and we were able to move on.

We run outlaw steel matches with some wickedly fun, and fast stages. One stage is 5 steel plates in a zig-zag line up. Even my slow trigger finger has shot a 1.38sec string on it. Had a shooter last month shoot 3 of 3 strings under one second, and PS would not allow us to save the scores, when they were under a second. We had to make the times an even one second, and then it would save, and we deleted the time difference from another stage for that shooter, so his aggregate score would be right. At the time we were using PS v1.0.15. We tested it today with PS v1.0.16, and we still have the same problem.

Mark K

Android 1.0.17 version is posted. You can get it from the web site, it should appear in play store in next few days. I recommend everyone using 1.0.16 update to this version.

There are number of fixes for critical issues reported here and in PS bug tracker recently. You can find whole list on the web site or you can use long tap on version number text on the app main screen.

PS i still dont have working nook 1.2.1 firmware, so no changes to keyboard issue. As a workaround use "hackers keyboard" app.