Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are CDP guys better shooters?

ProGunGuy

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll bet my money on the sheer economics of .45 ammo versus 9mm ammo.

more people flock to ESP/SSP, theoretically, because it is cheaper.

hence, therefore, ergo, ESP/SSP is a larger pond with fewer sharks.

CDP is a smaller pond with maybe disproportionately more sharks.

well, hey, that's my theory anyway.

I could be wrong.

Your mileage may vary. May cause drowsiness. Explosive diarrhea, or sudden death.

I think you are seeing a group of individuals who are good shooters. The fact that they shoot CDP is irrelevant. They would probably place at the top overall with an SSP or ESP gun. I dont think it's accurate to generalize "CDP guys" as better shooters.

one thing I have noticed locally at the IDPA matches is that the CDP shooters consistantly rank at the top in score. Usually it 1/2/3. they beat out the ssp/esp guys easily.

So are they better shooters or is it the equipment?

Well...

In addition to being better looking, taller, having women swoon over us, people begging to give us money, we skinny gun guys are the stuff to be. It doesn't hurt to have "THE" gun.

Flame suit on...

shooting the hardest weapon 45 automatic. Then having to shoot it straighter and faster, to make the class. Yea .

Really? Why is that? What about the 625 revolver? Bottom line- a division doesn't make the best shooter. The best shooters decide what they want to shoot...

I also think having 2 less rounds in the gun contributes the skill level. Same as the revo guys. Got to make the hits count so you don't shoot yourself into an extra reload.

This is it exactly. Most COFs are designed with the 10+1 crowd in mind. This makes CDP shooters have to pay more attention to their reload points, which usually translates into a better overall stage plan. CDP guys also don't have those extra four rounds(assuming 1 reload per COF), so they have to make all their hits count. A make up shot for CDP is usually devastating for a stage plan. Throw in the added PF ant that just raises the degree of difficulty, even if only slightly. I have thought for a while that shooting a year or two of CDP will make you a better overall shooter because of the skills it stresses. I am told the same could be said for revolvers.

I also think having 2 less rounds in the gun contributes the skill level. Same as the revo guys. Got to make the hits count so you don't shoot yourself into an extra reload.

This is it exactly. Most COFs are designed with the 10+1 crowd in mind. This makes CDP shooters have to pay more attention to their reload points, which usually translates into a better overall stage plan. CDP guys also don't have those extra four rounds(assuming 1 reload per COF), so they have to make all their hits count. A make up shot for CDP is usually devastating for a stage plan. Throw in the added PF ant that just raises the degree of difficulty, even if only slightly. I have thought for a while that shooting a year or two of CDP will make you a better overall shooter because of the skills it stresses. I am told the same could be said for revolvers.

I disagree to a point. A real good shooter will adapt to the skills/planning needed to compete within the class he/she is competing in. There are certain skills that each division requires more than others... my point is that I'm pretty certain that great ESP/SSP shooters would still be in the top of the pack in CDP too and vice versa. Revolvers are almost a different kind of animal but the same would hold true IMO.

noticed locally at the IDPA matches

Small pond.

A "Good Shooter" is a good shooter no matter the platform.

But everybody knows Glock SSP shooters are better looking and cooler than CDP and ESP shooters. :cheers:

None of this applies to the cowboy classes (ESR & SSR) :sight:

I'm behind hard cover now!

David E.

Edited by Nuke8401

one thing I have noticed locally at the IDPA matches is that the CDP shooters consistantly rank at the top in score. Usually it 1/2/3. they beat out the ssp/esp guys easily.

Well...

In addition to being better looking, taller, having women swoon over us, people begging to give us money, we skinny gun guys are the stuff to be. It doesn't hurt to have "THE" gun.

Flame suit on...

Oh please Ed, the "real" guns are round and have only 6 .45's making major in them at a time, and we get chicks as well !!! Have not seen you in too long, get your Devil Dog butt to our VA State ZSA "ZAG" Championship Match in April at SVDFI

"Cowboy Classes"

I love it.

Be careful... there are some that shoot in the "Cowboy Classes" that will kick ass with a semi auto as well. I agree though.. that was funny!

Good point, some of us "Cowboys" do it with the "Cowboy" guns, really not too hard to beat all of you with the "Sir Miss Alot" guns !!!!! And we don't get procedurals for forgetting how to count to 11.

wow..just think how much the CDP division will explode with shooters and start winning 100% of ALL matches HOA when IDPA lets the 40 S&W play in CDP.. Since all 40S&W shooters will be using factory loaded ammo..right??

Anyway.. back to reality 95% of SSP and ESP shooters SQUAT when they pee.. :sight:

SSP can be viewed as a place for folks to start (same applies to Production Div in USPSA): the new folks "bringing what they got" to their first matches, and what they got is usually a semiauto 9mm DA/SA or DAO, so they end up in SSP. Being new, and shooting heavy factory triggers with factory ammo, they are not going to be on top of the heap when the scores come in. Some stay and play in SSP w/o any serious effort to improve either their skills or equipment (that's true in most sports). Some will move on, to be replaced by other new shooters. Some might work on skills and equipment, and of those, a few will stay in SSP, others perhaps will move on to other divisions.

CDP is "Custom". By definition, you are putting extra effort/expense into your firearm. That implies a degree of commitment, and I think that translates into folks also working on their skills. Also, the platforms are usually SA, which may contribute to faster/more accurate shooting if the shooter puts in the training effort.

Those who are naturally competitive will look for divisions where they will be challenged. It may be that some will go to CDP for just that reason - that's where the experienced shooters are. It becomes a self perpetuating situation.

Me, I shoot SSP and Production. I started in Limited in USPSA, but moved to Production for a change, and made the transition to SSP for IDPA. Less expensive, just as challenging. And while I am not a Master, I have "won" (finished with the lowest time) my share of club matches against CDP shooters who are Masters. So it can be done.

Edited by kevin c

I'd say you have too little data to form a conclusion. Check out the results from several national championships & postal matches for a more meaningful comparison. I agree with DWFAN & lugnut.

Oh please Ed' date=' the "real" guns are round and have only 6 .45's making major in them at a time, and we get chicks as well !!![/quote']

Yep - I was at JZ's wedding match & can vouch for him :cheers:

Tom

I'd say you have too little data to form a conclusion. Check out the results from several national championships & postal matches for a more meaningful comparison. I agree with DWFAN & lugnut.

Oh please Ed' date=' the "real" guns are round and have only 6 .45's making major in them at a time, and we get chicks as well !!![/quote']

Yep - I was at JZ's wedding match & can vouch for him :cheers:

Tom

Glad to see that some folks witnessed it, us virginia boys werent invited (probably because we shoot CDP and are so good lookin). Had to add the last part to keep the thread on track and not get closed by the mods.

Mel is a very nice classy lady and John sure married up!

At my club most who shoot CDP are older guys that have played the game longer than most, so they are likely to be more wise of the game and how to play.

The better shooters are those who can win reguardless of what they are shooting.

Edited by jmorris