Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Only shooting ONE Pistol

KungFuNerd

The more I learn, the less I know :)

I used to commonly bring several pistols to the range.

It was screwing up my NPA and my timing and my Sight focus, recoil management, Draw...

My New Years 'resolution'.....

I've gotten rid of everything except for my Glock 17 and have gotten an Advantage Arms .22 kit for it.

I am going to attempt to ONLY shoot that Pistol this year (not including rifles of course!)

We'll see how much discipline I have.

Have fun shooting multiple pistols, but only train with one pistol. Unless there is some specific skill that you are working on that you feel you can get using a different pistol, train with the same pistol that you compete with. Learn what you need to learn from that other gun, and then apply that learning to your competition gun.

Getting rid of all your other pistols sounds a little extreme but, it will get you very focused on the one platform you kept.

Hope you succeed in keeping that discipline and move up a class or two by the end of year.

Why Granny, I'm utterly suprised.....You shooting a gun that doesn't have a de-cocker.... :rolleyes:

Thread drift:

On first glance, I think that only the HK45 and S&W 25-2 are legal in Production. And of those two, the HK45 has a decocker, and the revolver will presumably already have the hammer down at "Make Ready". :lol:

Back on topic:

One thing about sticking with one gun is that you become very familiar with the manual of arms for that weapon. Sometimes that extra bit of familiarity provides that extra calming effect needed to be in the right mental state before the buzzer goes off.

Don't discount the ability to learn something new by giving a different gun a dance-- on rare occasion.

Skydiver touched on that, in regards to learning a specific skill from another pistol. However, I have found that mixing it up "just for fun" with something else can often reveal things to you that you were unable to see with your "main focus" firearm-- things you never thought to look for at all.

Like Brian says-- you should be open to learning something with every shot you fire. Going with another platform, configuration, or even just caliber might bring something to light that you hadn't considered through the "monotony" of working with your primary gun.

I will focus for a period of a couple of months on a division pistol. I tend to get training tired and need to move to refresh. And not really like prod to l10, I mean iron to optics type of thing where it's really a change in thinking.

The more I learn, the less I know :)

I used to commonly bring several pistols to the range.

It was screwing up my NPA and my timing and my Sight focus, recoil management, Draw...

My New Years 'resolution'.....

I've gotten rid of everything except for my Glock 17 and have gotten an Advantage Arms .22 kit for it.

I am going to attempt to ONLY shoot that Pistol this year (not including rifles of course!)

We'll see how much discipline I have.

Im doing the same thing this year I'm sticking with one gun all year and see how much I can improve

sticking with one gun for a while will definitely help one improve, but I found that its real easy to get burned out if you train too hard. shooting another gun once in a while wont hurt I dont think. for me shooting an Open gun now and then helped me get faster on the trigger with my Limited guns

I find that training with my production rig is a good thing all around. If my reloads with my Glock are on, generally if I want to shoot a match with my TS, the reloads will be fine. I do tend to drop the gun more when it's the CZ. The G17 is more easily manipulated, other than the trigger of course. :rolleyes:

I've been shooting my G35 exclusively for over a year now and before that I used it about 70% of the time. One thing I've noticed is that I have a hard time getting to work on the more advanced skills because it is such a constant effort working with the trigger, especially at speed. I have considered doing a bit of mild training with a revolver to make the tigger manipulation of the glock seem much nicer and even in a caliber with much more recoil to learn to better work with the excessive muzzle flip. This could be one case where training with more than one gun could be beneficial. Of course a .22 conv. is helpful, but it doesn't matter how fast you transition or game a stage if you can't put the bullet where you want it consistently.

I've been shooting my G35 exclusively for over a year now and before that I used it about 70% of the time. One thing I've noticed is that I have a hard time getting to work on the more advanced skills because it is such a constant effort working with the trigger, especially at speed. I have considered doing a bit of mild training with a revolver to make the tigger manipulation of the glock seem much nicer and even in a caliber with much more recoil to learn to better work with the excessive muzzle flip. This could be one case where training with more than one gun could be beneficial. Of course a .22 conv. is helpful, but it doesn't matter how fast you transition or game a stage if you can't put the bullet where you want it consistently.

What trigger are you running in the Glock?

I'm not one to suggest equipment fixes to technique issues, but there's simply a point in time where it begins to make sense. A lot of people have issues with that platform, due mostly to the pistol's ergonomics and how they interface with the shooter's hand. Some people, suffice it to say, are simply not built to get the most out of that platform-- and there's absolutely no shame in that.

Note that I'm not really talking about changing pull weights-- but more the spot in which your finger engages the trigger, the profile of the trigger face, etc. I firmly believe that with even a mildly experienced shooter, those are the factors that make the Glock such a "different animal".

I'm running a venick trigger, though it is not with the lightened firing pin spring due to light primer strikes on certain primers. Most of the problem for me lies in the fact that I have smaller hands which kind of compounds other problems. Because my finger extends forward of my second knuckle so much when engaging the trigger, it takes a lot of conscious effort to make the pull straight back instead of pushing left a little while pulling. At a high rate of fire when so much focus is on target transitions, footwork, and trying to maintain a state of awareness, the trigger pull deteriorates. I can also feel the plastic on plastic chatter a little because of the torque created when the pull is not perfectly straight back which doesn't help at all.

Don't get me wrong, I can shoot a nice 2" group at 25 yards when that is what I am working on, but as soon as I start spending more time and effort into the other aspects of the game my accuracy starts dropping off. I still continue to shoot groups, I just don't shoot near as many.

This was never a problem when I shot my 1911 and I look forward to shooting it again, but not until I finish this journey with my G35. I will beat this gun and wear it as a badge of honor.

Edited by DoubleA

Sounds like you are having the same trouble I had with my g35. I had planned on beating my troubles with a bunch of practice but eventually decided to switch platforms. I now have a 2011 and couldn't be happier. I always shot my 1911 far better at speed than the glock. The same is now true of my 2011.

I share your views as I own a G35.What I did was to compare mine to a friend's who modified the trigger on his G35 with a fulcrum trigger kit, replaced his stock guiderod with a heavy duty tungsten guiderod and a magwell.The guy's G35 is just a different pistol. I am heading in his direction modificationwise.

For years, I thought the "beware the man who has only one gun" theory was golden. I wanted to learn one gun to the point that it became an extension of my arm, and not "mess myself up" by practicing with something else. I still think this idea has a lot of value in the beginning...while you are learning the basic skill set that you will need to compete in practical shooting. That way you can focus your attention on calling shots, transitions, etc. without having to spend all your time trying to remember all the ways this gun is different from your others. As you progress, I think this mindset is less valid. As your grasp of the fundamentals of practical shooting improves, your ability to adjust to new equipment will improve as well. In fact, I find that I now perform better if I spend a little time training with several different guns. For example: for years, I shunned open guns as a crutch for people who weren't "man enough" to shoot iron sights. I couldn't have been more wrong. When I finally began shooting Open occasionally, it completely changed the way I shoot and see targets...for the better. I didn't want to shoot Glocks because they "point funny". Now, I can adjust to one with about ten minutes of dry fire drills. If you take a look at the top shooters, many of them may have a different gun in their hand for any given match. Jerry M is a good example. One week he will be shooting Open in a 3-gun match, the next he will be shooting a revolver in an ICORE event, and the next he might be shooting an M&P for a S&W demo. The cool thing is that at his level, none of these detracts from the other. I guess the crux of my argument is that shooting one gun exclusively is a great way to learn the fundamentals of shooting, but it can also leave you "pigeon holed" and eventually limit your progression.

Further, I feel like I have also limited my progression by focusing largely on one type of shooting. My new training plan is including a lot of cross-training in other shooting sports. I think shooting some other games from time to time may be able to add new ideas and dimensions to my game in USPSA. But...I could have it all wrong!!!

Mark

lol. but what if you want to shoot production on some uspsa matches, single stack some others, and limited for area matches and nats.

but what about steels matches( tuesday night steel i shoot 50 times a year.) got to have a 9mm steel gun and a fun gun for that.

Sh*t then you need a 3 gun pistol like a xd or glock to make it easy on yourself.

practice practice practice:P oh wait, i dont practice

I have been shooting three different pistols.

One is for practice for the bulls eye league I will hopefully be back in this summer after recovering from a back surgery. That is my Les Baer 1911 45ACP with a Ultra-dot Red dot sight. The other is a revolver that I bought new. I have wanted one and got a New S&W 686 that was drilled for a scope mount and I put the same Ultr-adot red dot site as my les Baer. I really like shooting this with hollow base wad cutters with 2.7 grains of Unique. I like the Berry's plated bullets. They load nice and shoot great. This gun is very friendly on my back as I do not have to pick up brass. It is also very accurate at 25 yards shooting a 3 inch dot. I can fit 12 dots on a backer and shoot 6 rounds at each one and after 72 rounds I have had enough and only need to get my target once.

That other 1911 45ACP that I shoot is my carry gun a Sig Sauer C3. I practice with Berry Hollow base round nose 185 grain plated bullets. They shoot very accurate and with the officer grip I practice shooting 6 dropping the magazine with one bullet in it and loading the second and then I have 8 in the gun, 2 torso's and 1 head 2 times and then two head shots. I like dropping the one magazine with the bullet in it as it drops faster for the next magazine to be installed.

I usually will only bring the Les 45ACP and practice only that day with that. and finishing with the Sig. And then I will just bring the 686 and then finish with practicing with the Sig. The nice thing is on the indoor range there are hardly any people shooting on a Friday or Monday and I can turn the lights down so I can see the laser on the Sig carry gun and shoot well and shoot with the iron sights and then point and shoot with the laser and at 12 yards I am keeping all of my shots in the center of the 3 inch dots. So I do shoot more than one hand gun but I have a reason for each. The biggest thing is having fun. I have to say with my back I really love the 686.

Good luck with your Glock 17.

I'm interested in hearing what happens for you this year.

I've embraced a one-gun strategy because I found I just didn't have enough time for another gun in my life. There are many benefits of monomaguny.

It sounds like you have a goal with this one pistol rather than having drunk the Glock Kool-Aid. A good gun is a gun that goes bang when it's supposed to. Blaming the trigger, the sights, etc. for undesired results instead of looking at what the shooter is doing is foolish. Any rubuttals on this opinion?

Having a lighter gun bag because there is only one in there is nice.

Since you're on the Glock platform I don't believe getting a SIRT trainer is breaking the monomaguny vow. I recently bought one and think it's worth every penny. The resettable trigger has improved my times and accuracy shot-to-shot.

If you do get a SIRT buy an extra magazine, they're weighted and rubber which makes it great for reload practice. Since they're weighted and fit in Glocks, dryfire practice with the genuine gun has a lot closer feel to a loaded gun. I'm working on getting reload times down this week and there is a noticable difference running drills with a weighted magazine.

Stay faithful,

DNH

• 2 months later...

I've stuck with my G17 for the last year straight and have been extremely satisfied with my overall progress. I've been so interested in shooting other guns but have convinced myself to stay away until I became a more proficient with the 17 - until now. I've got my G24 running and am ready to dabble in some Limited! My rationale is that, although I've changed calibers, it is essentially the same gun. If anything, I believe that it will help with my grip and recoil management.

I'm sure that sticking to one gun can't hurt and can only help initially. I imagine that once the fundamentals are finessed, they can be transferred to almost any caliber with a bit of training. So, getting a good grip on those fundamentals on only one gun can only keep things consistent.

Personally, until I see an M on my card, I'll be sticking to Glocks. When that day DOES come, I'll have saved up enough from not buying other guns to splurge on a fancy open rig!

Good luck on your training!

I've stuck with my G17 for the last year straight and have been extremely satisfied with my overall progress. I've been so interested in shooting other guns but have convinced myself to stay away until I became a more proficient with the 17 - until now. I've got my G24 running and am ready to dabble in some Limited! My rationale is that, although I've changed calibers, it is essentially the same gun. If anything, I believe that it will help with my grip and recoil management.

I'm sure that sticking to one gun can't hurt and can only help initially. I imagine that once the fundamentals are finessed, they can be transferred to almost any caliber with a bit of training. So, getting a good grip on those fundamentals on only one gun can only keep things consistent.

Personally, until I see an M on my card, I'll be sticking to Glocks. When that day DOES come, I'll have saved up enough from not buying other guns to splurge on a fancy open rig!

Good luck on your training!

What? You're not going to stick on a comp and a red dot and keep rocking the Glock?

What? You're not going to stick on a comp and a red dot and keep rocking the Glock?

I've considered it, and may possibly transform my G17 to an open gun later on down the line. I just can't see myself shooting Glocks in any divisions outside of production or limited. I'm sure they would perform fine, but in contrast to an SVI? I've only tinkered with other peoples open guns so I really don't know the true advantage over an open Glock vs the higher end open guns.

Edited by ozdogg5