Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

4 inch or 6 inch?

anachronism

I plan to shoot revolver for Steel Challenge & USPSA this year, but I'd like some opinions on which way to go. I have 4 inch & 6 inch revolvers, and don't seem to prefer either over the other. I do feel I'm a bit faster close up with the 4 inch 686, but I really can't prove it to my satisfaction. My other choice is my 6 in GP100, which gives up nothing to the S&W in handling, including the DA trigger, which actually feels a bit better than the Smiff. I'm interested in hearing what conclusions you guys have reached in similar circumstances. I'm shooting iron sights, if it matters. The Ruger does have interchangable front sights, and the S&W doesn't.

It looks like it has to be four inch. I decided to RTFM, and found that Steel Challenge is running IDPA equipment rules.

It is?

A.3.5 Iron Sight Revolver: Any iron sighted revolver without a

compensator, barrel ports or optical sight. Fiber optic inserts

are specifi cally allowed. No barrel length or holster

restrictions. No restrictions for maximum rounds.

Although this statement does confuse me

A.1.1 Equipment requirements for the USPSA, IDPA, ICORE

and Cowboy Single Action Divisions shall be governed by

the respective USPSA, IDPA, ICORE and SASS rules and

equipment criteria regarding fi rearm and holster confi gurations

and rule interpretations.

Edited by BlueOvalBandit

I see part of the problem, I was looking at ISSR because it was the only mention of revolvers that came up for me in the online rule book. I think I need to split this up and post the Steel Challenge specific questions on the Steel Challenge board.

My opinion would be to go with the one that works/feels better for you. I personally use a Ruger Alaskan (which I personally like over the S&W625 I own), but I don't reccomend to others. The Alaskan I load with .45 Colt,while the 625 of course uses .45 ACP. The Alaskan has a 2 1/2"barrel to the 625 with a 4" barrel.

Since you own both, why not try each in USPSA and Steel Challenge. That will let you know by personal experience which works better for you.

I have a 6" Model 15 with a heavy barrel that I use for Icore as well as a 4" 586. The long barrel is whippier, takes a fraction of a second more to stabalize, but consistently gives me one more A zone hit out of a cylinder. The 586 feels more solid, easier to stop, is slightly faster, but ends up with one less A at 25 yards. For Icore, with the emphasis on accuracy, the 6" has the edge for serious competition. For USPSA , I would go with the 586.

Now what one do I prefer, the 4" 586, and the shooting has to be pretty serious to get out the Model 15.

Jim

USPSA bought Steel Challenge. Seems to me USPSA rules, and memberships, apply. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Now that I've thought it over seems I read / heard that if you shoot another game like IDPA, ICORE, etc then your equipment should be competition legal in that game. I'm sure this will be clarified in short order. We have too many members not to have somebody know this.

Edited by buckaroo45

Your simple question appears to be four-inch versus 6 inch benefits? That answer appears to be sight radius. The longer the site radius the better the control is of accuracy on distant targets. I shoot a 61/2 inch Smith model 610 in USPSA. I put on fiber optic front and rear sights from cylinder and slide. They greatly improve my site picture with bright three dots, red green red. Here is a similar product of front and rear fiber optics for your Ruger.

http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/pistol.htm

• 5 months later...

Sorry to ressurect an old thread, but.... I shoot a 4-inch GP-100 in IDPA and have all the gear. I want to shoot a 6 inch GP-100 in ICORE (now that we have a couple of clubs in FL that are close enough to drive to)... I'm having trouble finding a ICORE legal Kydex holster for the 6 inch. Can anyone help?

Wouldn't any S&W L frame holster work? My kydex holster for my 5" 625 works fine for my 4" GP100.

Thanks, that's a thought. If I can find a 6 inch L-frame rig I might give it a try.

Wouldn't any S&W L frame holster work? My kydex holster for my 5" 625 works fine for my 4" GP100.

Thanks, that's a thought. If I can find a 6 inch L-frame rig I might give it a try.

You can use a speed rig in ICORE so you may be able to use a SpeedSec or Double Alfa, I don't own a GP100 to check and see if it fits. The barrel length won't matter if you can find a speed holster that holds the gun by the trigger guard. You'll know you aren't at an IDPA match when you have a 6" revolver in a speed rig. :lol:

Thanks for the tip, Gregg, but I think a trigger guard/hold speed rig might be a bit too much culture shock for this old IDPA shooter right now :lol: . I did call Blade Tech and spoke to a charming lady named Rory who told me a DOH rig for a 6 inch GP-100 was no prob and on the way, even though their web site doesn't show it as available.

I'm looking forward to ICORE. Nobody seems to want to play revolver in IDPA.

To answer an earlier question, I think Steel Challenge can opt to run a division based off IDPA. A 4" gun would be legal for Revolver Iron Sights as well as "IDPA SSR", although I have not participated in anything other than Scholastic Steel Challenge over here.

USPSA bought Steel Challenge. Seems to me USPSA rules, and memberships, apply. Correct me if I'm wrong.

That is my thoughts, but the rulebook was pretty recent (2011), why would they mention IDPA compliant gear and so on?.

Crossover appeal.....