Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

whats the spring of choice for a G34 for Prod?

Matthew_Mink

When I shot production I used the ISMI 13 pound springs with the ISMI rod. The ISMI rod must be used with ISMI springs because the diameter of their spring is smaller than other springs and won't fit on other rods. The ISMI rod is nice because you can use it as either a captured or uncaptured unit. You can read more about them here:

http://www.cpwsa.com/Glock%20Parts.htm

I use a 15# ISMI spring on a Cominolli extended tungsten non-captured rod in my 34 for Production.

My loads vary, either a WCP 147gr over 3.6gr VVN320 @ 1.142 OAL or a Lasercast 145gr over 3.4gr VVN320 @ 1.142 OAL. Both make about 135 or so PF.

What springs are you guys running in a G34, and what rod, and why?

I use ISMI 13lb spring minus 3.5 coils, ISMI steel captured recoil rod with 124 fmj MG @130pf. It is 100% reliable and feels great!!! I prefer steel guide-rods over plastic, just personal preference.

T.H.E. Accessories extended tungsten rod with ISMI 13 lb. spring with three coils clipped. Star 147gr. over 3.5gr of WW231 at about 1.110. Shows a little evidence of primer flow ----SO BACK OFF AND WORK UP IF YOU WANT TO TRY THIS LOAD!! OTHERWISE BAD THINGS COULD HAPPEN......

I use a 15# ISMI spring on a Cominolli extended tungsten non-captured rod in my 34 for Production.

My loads vary, either a WCP 147gr over 3.6gr VVN320 @ 1.142 OAL or a Lasercast 145gr over 3.4gr VVN320 @ 1.142 OAL. Both make about 135 or so PF.

Using a tungsten guiderod moves you over into Limited or Limited 10, unless of course, USPSA changed Production Rules again.

;)

Using a tungsten guiderod moves you over into Limited or Limited 10, unless of course, USPSA changed Production Rules again.

As long as the pistol does not weigh more than 2 ounces over the factory weight, you're OK. I can only speak for my setup. I know I'm good to go cause I weighed it. :D

I'm no rules-meister but ...

My understanding is that a Production gun is supposed to be "stock". Sure, a little skateboard-tape, new sights, trigger-job ... that's all fine. But, it's my understanding that when you start talking about "weighting" the muzzle, that's where they draw the line.

I understand that if a Tungsten rod is no heavier then "no harm done" ... although, unless it's hollow, I don't see how that's possible :huh: . But, if people at matches hear you talking about your Tungsten guide rod, somebody's probably gonna get pretty uptight about it no matter how much it weighs. I've never been to the bigger matches ... do they have scales for such things? :unsure:

If they weigh the same, why not just use the stock rod? Stock spring, for that matter too. I shot my G34 for a season and a half and never had one problem and never bothered with such things. No, that's not a particularly long time ... but, long enough to warrant replacement of the same exact parts should there ever be a problem.

Don't get me wrong ... I'm not trying to lay down any smack here. :rolleyes: I'm just wondering what all the fuss is about lookin' at the non-stock parts. :huh:

I'm no rules-meister but ...

My understanding is that a Production gun is supposed to be "stock". Sure, a little skateboard-tape, new sights, trigger-job ... that's all fine. But, it's my understanding that when you start talking about "weighting" the muzzle, that's where they draw the line.

I understand that if a Tungsten rod is no heavier then "no harm done" ... although, unless it's hollow, I don't see how that's possible :huh: . But, if people at matches hear you talking about your Tungsten guide rod, somebody's probably gonna get pretty uptight about it no matter how much it weighs. I've never been to the bigger matches ... do they have scales for such things? :unsure:

If they weigh the same, why not just use the stock rod? Stock spring, for that matter too. I shot my G34 for a season and a half and never had one problem and never bothered with such things. No, that's not a particularly long time ... but, long enough to warrant replacement of the same exact parts should there ever be a problem.

Don't get me wrong ... I'm not trying to lay down any smack here. :rolleyes: I'm just wondering what all the fuss is about lookin' at the non-stock parts. :huh:

Duece, you are partially correct about having a 'stock' gun. But what USPSA considers stock is pretty liberal, IMO. But the rules state you can make modifications, so if it helps my shooting, I'm going to take full advantage of them. I've never seen them weigh a Production gun at a major, but I'm not going to be the first guy bumped to Open because my gun weighed 2.1 oz more than factory. But read the appendix concerning Production division, it says in black and white what is legal and what is not. The 2 oz rule is there, it says nothing about how to get there, just that you can do it. The reason I am loathe to use the stock spring is it is just too heavy for a 9mm minor load. Too much recoil transferred to the shooter, and too much sight dip at the end of the stroke, at least for me. I do much better with a competition gun with a lighter recoil spring, no matter what platform I am shooting. Just as long as it is not too light, and the gun still works.

Maybe I am a little different. I like a G35 over the 34. I shot a 34 for a couple of years. My wife shoots a 34 in IDPA and IPSC. I did not like the way the 34 recoiled with a tungsten rod. Felt nose heavy. I made a full length guide rod out of D2 steel to fit the ISMI spring. That seemed to allow the sights to track better.

Matthew I think you will find that the G35 is a softer shooting gun.

Matthew I think you will find that the G35 is a softer shooting gun.

You are probably right. But, I'm not really worried about a slight increase in recoil. I have noticed one of my best matches ever was with 135gr at 138pf out of my G35. I think the extra bit of snap helped with my control of the gun. I shot the next few matches with 155gr at 126pf or so, and it was real soft shooting, and I didn't shoot that well with it. I am thinking I may pick up some speed with a snappier gun and load. I'll know pretty quick after getting it setup like my G35. ;)

Matt, I shoot my G35 at a 135 pf using 180 plated bullets. The sights track really well at this pf. One of my IDPA drills is double tapping a swinger @ 10 yds. that is the same diameter as the 0 circle on a cardboard target. The swinger reacts quickly to the first bullet. A load in the 132-135 pf allows my front sight to stay on the swinger without having to grip the gun too hard. My gun feels a bit slow at 127-130 pf. Funny but my splits run the same.

My wife's 34 has more snap to it at a 132 pf than my 35. Recoil is a funny thing. I believe most of it is in our head. I shot an IDPA match last year with my 170 pf IPSC load, took the wrong ammo to the match. I think I shot just as well with it. I do know it is more difficult to do my double tap drill on the swinger at the 170 pf level so there must be some affect.