Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

yoga for calmness on the range lol

hawkinpup

I tried taking a yoga class to focus on mind work for shooting and when I went to the class The yoga instructor told me to sit in a yoga position I said, what's that? she said, you know...sit down indian style, I said, so you want me to get a bottle of whisky and lay in the gutter? I got kicked out of class. Buy the way I'm 1/4 blackfoot so I can tell this joke..

LOL. that's funny. I used to have a good friend who was 1/2 Cherokee, and he always said he couldn't drink whiskey or he would just go crazy and tear the place up like a mad man! :surprise: I never had the opportunity to witness it, nor did I actually want to either!!

:)

PS I wasn't sure if you were more "telling a joke" or actually talking about calmness on the range, but I've been doing some meditation lately, and one of the things they talk about specifically is deep breathing, and how it relaxes the body, and oxygenates the mind allowing more blood flow to the brain. And I immediately remembered all the times I was told to "take a few deep breaths before you shoot" and I thought how well the two go hand-in-hand; Shooting & Meditation. :)

PS I wasn't sure if you were more "telling a joke" or actually talking about calmness on the range, but I've been doing some meditation lately, and one of the things they talk about specifically is deep breathing, and how it relaxes the body, and oxygenates the mind allowing more blood flow to the brain. And I immediately remembered all the times I was told to "take a few deep breaths before you shoot" and I thought how well the two go hand-in-hand; Shooting & Meditation. :)

It definitely helps, when I did start shooting again I went into long range stuff and it actually helped a lot, by the way that yoga instructor was a friend of my wife (way to politically correct for me) who also teaches yoga more for the exercise and mind calming that for true yoga practice, some of that is a little to outter space for me.

i like yoga for the breathing exercises. Taking a few deep breaths is always good-oxygen is good. American yoga is otherwise kind of good for getting people to the gym or whatever, but has no relationship to traditional yoga. What makes me calm most of the time is to unload a full mag at the berm as fast as possible. I tell people I'm working on my timing. I wish matches had test fire berms.

i like yoga for the breathing exercises. Taking a few deep breaths is always good-oxygen is good. American yoga is otherwise kind of good for getting people to the gym or whatever, but has no relationship to traditional yoga. What makes me calm most of the time is to unload a full mag at the berm as fast as possible. I tell people I'm working on my timing. I wish matches had test fire berms.

LMAO! :)

Way to bring that Good stuff right there

I find yoga helps alot. After martial arts tearing up my knee a bit, I started doing yoga. You get what you put into it. Alot of the exercise is fantastic as a core workout (abs, back, shoulder stregth) as well as fantastic flexibility.

One of the things it teaches you is to visualize, which is what we do before a stage anyway. Go into that Zen moment where you can see yourself shooting the stage. I know before shooting my last two major matches, I would do a yoga workout, and it helped alot.

Try it. If you have a gym membership, go take a few yoga classes, you are paying for it already. If you don't like it, well, the eye candy in that class is worth it alone.

• 4 weeks later...

I use to meditate quite often to slow my mind down. Does work if you do it. Been thinking of Yoga for my back and legs knee replacement x2 and back surgery. Knees are great. Back thats the problem. I'm like a rubber band lol

I have read quite a few books on meditation. One was Shaki Guait I think. Zen the Art of Archery alot of good stuff.

I likeYoga but you should try Tai Chi as well.

I am a musician.

I practiced TaiChi faithfully for a couple of months when I was off the road.

When I went back out on tour I really noticed that my Balance had improved and oddly it felt like I was more aware of what was going on around me on stage.

Hi Benos I have been thinking about starting yoga for quite awhile. What

type of class to take for a beginner.

thanks

I don't generally do well in groups (classes) ;) - so I taught myself Hatha Yoga from a book.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I thought that I was in shape until I started doing yoga. I was wrong.

The discipline, sweat, and tears of working an aggressive program bring me almost as much joy as shooting.

I always thought yoga was for chicks and weirdos (what can I say, we all have preconceived ideas, don't we?) until I started P90X (now on week 11 and, yes, you get the promised results if you keep to it) and I thought yoga would be relaxing, simple, slightly boring.

I did not expect to get my butt kicked the first time. It took me 2 months to start doing these poses without suffering simply by breathing, having a poker face and thinking about something else. Me? I think about aligning my sights and taking down targets.

• 8 months later...

well I've been married for almost 30 years and when my wife started yoga I remember her saying

"you know yoga is really nice it brings us together on a physical and mental level so that we can".......blah blah blah just get your other ankle behind your head.

I hope no one was offend but she laughed at it.

tigerkf-- liked your video-- not much on the yoga though. I'm getting old and need to find a new work out, I think I'm gonna go for it with the yoga and leave the PX-90 to the young.

I tried taking a yoga class to focus on mind work for shooting and when I went to the class The yoga instructor told me to sit in a yoga position I said, what's that? she said, you know...sit down indian style, I said, so you want me to get a bottle of whisky and lay in the gutter? I got kicked out of class. Buy the way I'm 1/4 blackfoot so I can tell this joke..

Too Funny!