Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rx shooting glasses recommendations

njl

At a recent pin match, I was hit in the face with my own 230gr JHP (I picked it up and just weighed it, it didn't even lose a grain bouncing off the pin it hit). It scared the crap out of me. It hurt. It bled. But, I was really lucky. I always wear glasses to shoot (because I need them to see down range), but these are just my every day glasses. They don't give me the sort of eye coverage I'd like, and AFAIK, the lenses are plastic, and I have no idea how they'd have handled the impact.

Additionally, since I haven't had an eye exam since Clinton was president, I've decided it's time to get my prescription updated and get a few new pairs of glasses. For shooting, I think I'd really like something with lenses that have a bit of curve to them such that they really cover the eye socket. Pretty much all the ones I've seen in this style are sun glasses (some of which can be Rx'd). AFAIK, I really don't want sun glasses. Even for outdoor shooting, isn't it better to let the pupils close down as much as possible (improving depth of field)?

I've checked out a few optical shops recently, and the first frame I saw that caught my eye was a Callaway Mag 101, but I'm not sure if those are even available as anything but sun glasses. I did verify that they can be Rx'd.

So...what I'm looking for is better coverage/protection than every day glasses, but they also have to be comfortable and compatible with wearing ear muff hearing protection. Last time I looked, Oakley had some frames I liked, but they generally had very fat/contoured temples, which might interfere with muffs.

I suggest that Rudy Project glasses where you can put in the RX inserts. If you see any shooters at your club matches wearing a Rudy Project shirt talk to them. They can usually hook you up with trying on some glasses. If you don't want sunglasses, you can always choose to go with the clear lenses.

Click on the links on the right of the web page to see what the inserts look like:

http://www.rudyproje...ses_landing.php

Edited by Skydiver

I have ESS (Eye Safety Systems, inc) ICE w/inserts, out of sun valley, Id. they are awsome, u can change eye shields easily from one color to another, and they work great. check them out at www.esseyepro.com

i think i paid abt $270.00, just send them your eye prescription. Ray

I mail ordered a set of ESS ICE years ago, with the rx insert, but they seemed so flimsy to me, I returned them. I'm also not crazy about dual layers of lenses. It seems like it just increases glare and aberration.

My Oakley half jacket aren't prescription but they could be (will be someday). I like them a lot with yellow shooting lenses. The fat nose pieces keep them from fogging since air can circulate. For ears I double plug, foam disposable inner and cheap muff over. I wear both sets loose so I don't have ear pressure discomfort like I used to.

The Callaway Mag 101's are nice, but seeing as they are made by Callaway, I seriously doubt they would have much in the way of protection from bullet fragment impacts.

I have a pair of Revision Sawfly, nice glasses, but they too have the problem of having to wear a RX carrier behind the glasses.

Like the idea of Rudy Project RX Interchangeable, but man are they way overpriced, you're looking at $550 for a pair. Have you considered contacts and just an inexpensive pair of shooting glasses?

Edited by jdphotoguy

I suggest that Rudy Project glasses where you can put in the RX inserts. If you see any shooters at your club matches wearing a Rudy Project shirt talk to them. They can usually hook you up with trying on some glasses. If you don't want sunglasses, you can always choose to go with the clear lenses.

Click on the links on the right of the web page to see what the inserts look like:

I agree with Skydiver, I ended up with Magster's with RX inserts. I really didn't have anyone's to try on so I called Rudy and I had 5 shipped to me to try on and kept 2 then returned the other three.

I really like my Decots. They were a very good company to deal with also.

+1. I have a pair of Decots and a pair of Rudys. Both have the prescription in the main lens - no inserts necessary. Both wrap at the sides, and hte Decots are fairly large, so either will give you better protection than your daily wear glasses. The primary difference between them is that my Decots have temples that wrap around the ear - they absolutely will not fall off your face, no matter what. The Rudys have spring loaded straight temples. Both allow enough air around the eyes to avoid fogging in most conditions.

I have two pairs of Maui Jim frames, one with brown lens, one with yellow lens, both polycarbonate and prescription. You should go see your ophthalmologist, try frames on, see what they can do with lenses. I've found having the prescription helps big time.

I'd add, find an optimologist that is also a shooter. I tried explaining what I needed from a prescription stand point to my regular optimologist and she had no clue how to proceed.

One of the guys that shoots at the range is an optimologist, so I'm heading to him for help

I use the Randolph RE Ranger with interchangeable lenses. I an near sighted and have an extra set of right hand lenses for seing the front sight. I have two sets of lenses one in clear and the other in an amber for bright light conditions.

I agree with Skydiver, I ended up with Magster's with RX inserts. I really didn't have anyone's to try on so I called Rudy and I had 5 shipped to me to try on and kept 2 then returned the other three.

It turns out, I have a local optical shop that's a Rudy Project dealer, so I went there today...and was disappointed to find they don't have any Magsters in stock. I did try on and handle a similar model, but was concerned that the ear pieces were kind of high profile.

With the Magster, do the ear pieces get in the way of wearing ear muff hearing protection?

I really wanted to avoid double lenses (rx insert), but if I'm going to blow a fortune on a pair of glasses, I like the idea of comparatively inexpensive interchangeable outer lenses. I figure I'd probably order the Magster with a set of clear, and either the laser black or smoke. I suspect for shooting, I'd generally want them to be clear...but with the other lenses, I'd also have a pair of "sport sunglasses".

I mentioned my little incident, and the woman helping me said they have a client who she thought used to be a Rudy Project spokesperson, and that he'd bring his pistol in to try out when they did work for him...so at least I know they're gun-friendly.

I really like the photochromic (transitions) lens. I use custom ear molds but I don't think the magsters have bulky ear pieces. The advantage of inner Rx lenses is when they get scratched Its easier on the wallet.

http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/index_inner_detail.php?group_id=1&cat_id=30&item_id=SN668106TTE

Edited by Scott Steele

Do you really want photochromic/transitions lenses for shooting? Everything I've read is that you really shouldn't use "sun glasses" for shooting because more closed down your pupils are, the greater your depth of field is (easier to keep the sights and targets as clear as possible). The advantage to the interchangeable lens system and rx insert, is that I could try a set of photochromic's and if I don't like them for shooting, I'm only out somewhere around $100 rather than several hundred $.

With the Magster, do the ear pieces get in the way of wearing ear muff hearing protection?

I don't know about the Magster, but you can read about my experience with my Rydons and hearing protection: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=94064&view=findpost&p=1077943

I still love my Rydons and everybody who I've lent them to asks me where they can get a pair of their own.

IF online is an option, use the code 2alpha to get a 30% discount.. lifetime warranty on the lenses, cant beat that.

I don't see any place in the e-rudy.com order process where you can put in a discount code. I do see that there's apparently some kind of promotion right now, where the rx insert is free. I'm going to call the optical shop tomorrow and see if they're able to order them for me and get that promotion.

Ah...I see that now. I think I'm going to call them tomorrow anyway. Their web site is confusing me. Depending on how I put together the order, it tells me the rx insert is currently free...or not.

What lenses are recommended for the Magster, for both indoor and outdoor shooting? I'm still thinking I should get clear and maybe something else...like a laser black or one of their dark polarized lenses, but yellow used to also be common for shooting...not that I see such an option for the Magster.

My local shop didn't want to me to order online... basically they don't get their profit/commission when the order is done online. So then it becomes a decision: Do you want to keep supporting your local business or do you want to save money?

Torogi, thanks for that discount code. My Magsters arrived today.

The deal with the rx insert being free or not was that if I had ordered the rx insert filled with my rx, the insert would have been free, but Rudy Project's web site isn't compatible with my rx...so I couldn't. I could have taken advantage of their current 2-for-1 promotion, but it would have required ordering the Magster I wanted with a total of 3 different pairs of lenses, and I kind of doubt I'll use more than the two I ended up getting using the discount code, coming in a few $ cheaper than using the 2-for-1 promo.

Now, I just have to get the rx insert filled and fitted to the frame. The instructions talk about bending it to fit the frame...and I tried a little, but was afraid of breaking it, so I figured I'd wait and let the shop do it. I have some concerns about the eye exam I got last week...so I may let the local RP dealer shop do another eye exam before having them fill the insert...so they're going to be making some $.

I've only tested them indoors for a few minutes without the insert, but they seem quite secure, comfortable, and fit well with Dillon HP-1's. I should have done this years ago.

I ended up ordering the "Magster Matte Black Frame With Impactx Polarphoto Grey Lenses", rx insert, and a set of transparent lenses...which is what I suspect I'll use most. Ordered it yesterday, and it was waiting for me when I got home from work today...shipped for free...and free return shipping if I don't like them...which doesn't seem likely at this point.

As an aside: First two weeks I had my first set of Rudy's, I loved wearing the photochromic lenses while driving. I stopped and picked a different set of Rudy's because of my track record of losing/breaking the sunglasses I use for driving. So now I can lose/break my driving sunglasses, but I'll always have my shooting glasses.

Congratulations on your order. I'm glad you like the glasses. It sounds like the shop you are working with is gun friendly and definitely want to keep them. So best of both worlds: online discount, and help a local shop!