Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PEPR mount "Good enough?"

Hey everybody,

I run a TR 24 in a PEPR mount on my 3 gun rifle and have a 22 rifle built up as a trainer and for the prevalent 22-only events around here. I wanted to get a cheaper version of the tr24 for the 22 since my Fun Budget is not unlimited. However, everyone said there is pretty much no substitute and the Millet I had on there before had such a different reticule.

The best suggestion was to set up the scope for the 3 gun rifle, then just plop it on my 22 and dial it in to practice, then reset it back for my 3 gun stuff. My question is if the pepr mount is quality enough to do this and hold zero?

I see everyone's favorite brand mounts selling for a PILE of money, and didn't know if it really mattered for me to get one or not. I'm fine with the fact the pepr isn't a quick disconnect, I'll always have a screw driver to get it locked down easily enough.

So should I spend the $200 whatever dollars and get something that comes with a dillo or just stick with what I have and spend that money on match fees and ammo?

I voted Larue but if you are ok with re-zeroing every time you switch, the PEPR is fine. I have one and it comes back "close" to zero when I move it around. I also have a Larue and can remove and reattach without a zero shift. I got tired of moving stuff around so I don't worry about reticule differences between my AR and 22 for practice.

• 2 weeks later...

I put a DMS in a pepper mount on my son's AR and it works great for what it is. It is not designed to be taken off and put back on and hold zero. I am talking about the original model here. The Larue is designed for that. It is important to remember what we are buying, and use stuff for what it was built for. The pepper is a reasonably priced mount that does an acceptable job at an acceptable price. The Larue is a higher quality unit that will hold repeatable zero but you have to pay more for that quality. I have three Larues and love them. Don't expect to take a scope off one rifle, and expect it to be zero'd on another rifle either. Of course you may get lucky, but it never seems to work that way for me. I have a 16x Leupold that I use for load developement on different rifles, and it is repeatable if you are using one rifle, but when switching rifles, it takes a rezero.

I put a DMS in a pepper mount on my son's AR and it works great for what it is. It is not designed to be taken off and put back on and hold zero. I am talking about the original model here. The Larue is designed for that. It is important to remember what we are buying, and use stuff for what it was built for. The pepper is a reasonably priced mount that does an acceptable job at an acceptable price. The Larue is a higher quality unit that will hold repeatable zero but you have to pay more for that quality. I have three Larues and love them. Don't expect to take a scope off one rifle, and expect it to be zero'd on another rifle either. Of course you may get lucky, but it never seems to work that way for me. I have a 16x Leupold that I use for load developement on different rifles, and it is repeatable if you are using one rifle, but when switching rifles, it takes a rezero.

I'm a bit confused, None of my la-rue mounted optics have the same zero when I switch them between rifles, I'm always rezeroing them when I do that

Unless you get lucky, each rifle will have a different zero so you are going to have to adjust the scope regardless.

I suppose the LaRue one would allow you to simply go backwards and be good but I would not trust it myself. I'd still want to shoot a few to confirm.

I have a PEPR and it works fine. I dont mind rezeroing when I take it off and put it back on. 3-5 shots and I'm back there. We have a few Larue QD mounts we use at work that DON'T hold the zero when taken off and put back on.

Unless you get lucky, each rifle will have a different zero so you are going to have to adjust the scope regardless.

It depends to some degree on the combination of scope, mount and rail.

In a perfect world... If you transfer the scope to a different rifle, you will have to re-zero it on that rifle. As long as you don't slip the turrets, you should be able to return it to the original rifle and dial it back to zero and be back on target. If you wrote down the settings for the second rifle, then you should be able to swap the scope between the two and just redial it for that scope and be on target.

In the real world... With top quality everything, you will probably be able to get pretty darn close to perfect to the above. With medium quality everything, you will probably be able to get close enough as long as you are not shooting precision rifle. With average quality everything, you may have to tweak the zero each time you move the scope.

So, like most everything else, "good enough" is going to be relative to your own personal requirements. I suggest that you try it for a while and see if it works. If it doesn't work well enough, then buy something more expensive.

• 3 weeks later...