Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Use of 38 long and short colt bullets in a 357

BigMoosie

I have shot 38 Colt Shorts since 1997 in my 8 shot .357s (Taurus and S&W) There is a 3/4" freebore jump before engaging the forcing cone (funnel) but does not affect your accuracy as earlier stated. I won the standards COF at the Area 1 in 2008 shooting this round in minor.... I have also shot 50 yd PPC with my 5" bbl gun with 592/600.

Look through the BE archives and you will find lots of loading info and others experiences with the 38 Colt Short.

---

Have you ever tried the 38 Colt Short? If you are interested, I will give you my recipe......

No never, yes I'd really like to try it. I was always told not to do that and given a long list of why not to from a bunch of guys here at my range. They were older and been around longer so I kind of just figured they were right. Never given it a second thought.

Shooting the 38 short colt seems to make perfect sense given that it's a short stubby case and easy to feed fast in an 8 shot moon clip. What make of moonclips are people using? Also does anyone want to share any load data. Also I guess regular 38/357 dies work for reloading?

Edited by BigMoosie

I'm using Starline brass in Hearthco moonclips. I'm using a .357 size die and 9mm seat die and 9mm crimp die. The 38/357 seat and crimp are too long. The Short Colt is the exact same case length and inside volume as a 9mm so it is essentially a rimmed 9mm and can use 9mm loading data. It's great for fast reloads in an 8 shooter.

For ICORE I use 160 gr. RN Bayou Bullet, 2.7 gr Tight Group, Fed Primer, 1.174 OAL which chrono'd at 780 fps with SD=7 in a 5" 627 at 42 deg. F

2.9 gr gave 815 fps SD= 15

3.0 gr gave 830 fps SD= 8

Edited by Geezer

I'm using Starline brass in Hearthco moonclips. I'm using a .357 size die and 9mm seat die and 9mm crimp die. The 38/357 seat and crimp are too long. The Short Colt is the exact same case length and inside volume as a 9mm so it is essentially a rimmed 9mm and can use 9mm loading data. It's great for fast reloads in an 8 shooter.

Bingo!

My sources show around 32,000 psi for 9mm, a .357 tops out at around 42,000. The best way to load them is with a lower pressure heavy bullet as shown above. Then you are probably looking at low to mid 20,000 pressures. Then the brass lasts a long time.

Really? I've never loaded short colt but isn't SAAMI pressure for a 9mm at close to 40k? Does the brass hold up well?

I've been shooting the same Starline Short Colt brass for years. My best guess is that it has about 20 loadings and no problems. 4.5 grns of IMR4756 and plated 158's. Some are starting to split now but I guess that's to be expected but nothing catastrophic.

Here's a question I've been wanting to ask...

I have been loading short colts in my 627 all this year and love the combination (158grn LTC running 125-130pf). I've been running it in Production. Even my daughter's enjoy shooting this combo!

I've wanted to try this in my 342 for BUG matches, but have been concerned with where the pressure might be, and whether that gun can handle it. It seems that if it would handle it, that it would make ejection a lot more effective.

Any thought's as to whether this is a safe/prudent combo?

342 for BUG matches

I'm assuming this is IDPA? We had a ruling from the HQ that you had to shoot what was stamped on the gun and couldn't "game" loading shorter cases into 38 spl/357 guns.. We had a gent try to shoot the short colts in a K frame gun and was told he had to use 38 spl's..

342 for BUG matches

I'm assuming this is IDPA? We had a ruling from the HQ that you had to shoot what was stamped on the gun and couldn't "game" loading shorter cases into 38 spl/357 guns.. We had a gent try to shoot the short colts in a K frame gun and was told he had to use 38 spl's..

Now I'm a gent?

wtf? -:)

michaels

I would add one thing when working up loads for the Short Colt, be very carefull when changing bullet seating depth with near maximum charges. Small changes in seating depth can make big changes in pressure. :surprise: