Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will

ErikW

You can't will something to happen; you can only execute the steps required to achieve the desired result.

(Realized after reflecting upon the difference between unachieved and achieved goals.)

For example, "I'm going to nail that popper with a fast draw" usually turned into a missed draw shot. But, I got a fast draw hit from thinking, "I'm going to react to the beep, have the web of my hand meet the beavertail, thrust up and out quickly, then slow down and smooth out the last bit of draw movement to acquire the sights, see the front sight (aligned in the rear notch) on the target, break the trigger, and call the shot."

Erik,

Great post!

A prof in college once gave out a great aphorism. "When you see a great performance (or act), Don't ask how can I do that? But you should ask what did he/she did BEFOREHAND to produce that great performance."

"I'm going to nail that popper with a fast draw" usually turned into a missed draw shot. But, I got a fast draw hit from thinking, "I'm going to react to the beep, have the web of my hand meet the beavertail, thrust up and out quickly, then slow down and smooth out the last bit of draw movement to acquire the sights, see the front sight (aligned in the rear notch) on the target, break the trigger, and call the shot."

Thanks for the great reminder!

You basically programmed yourself for a great performance by placing an order from your subconscious skills.

In the past, you ordered speed, and got exactly what you ordered, no more.

This time, you checked more option boxes and even customized the order before you sent it in.

This is the essence of the mental game, and it's great that you saw it!

SA

Good one Erik!

[sillyMode]

Hoping for good results is like making a withdraw from an account filled with counterfeit money. Deposit performance, however, and you'll be a rich man indeed.

[/sM]

The University of Kentucky once had a football coach who said,

"It's not the will to win, but the will to prepare to win that makes the difference. "

Paul "Bear" Bryant later went on to a successful career elsewhere.... :(

The "Set", with clearly defined "Intent", "Trusting" yourself to "Drive" the gun "Knowing" that your best is good enough, executed through total "Awareness"... When it all comes together you are in the "Zone". Seems so simple but at times so elusive.

Two days ago I was shooting our big annual steel shoot. We had three low plates and three high plates stacked on a rack at 12 yards. I "tried" to "make" myself smoke the first run and I tanked it bad with two make up shots for 5 seconds and change. While the guys were setting the steel for the second string (we shoot two and add them together) I looked at the RO and said, "I can easily do that in three seconds if I just let myself shoot". Second run was 3.01 seconds. When will I learn?

• 2 weeks later...

There is more to performing at the limit besides merely executing. While you must be able to perform the proper functions on demand, to excell you must 'want' it.

Something I have noticed on the track. Take a good driver, he can perform the task of driving the car at the limit all through a race, proper lines, limit or traction on corners, shifting etc. all done flawlessly and you will get consistant lap times. Now, give him someone to chase, to hunt down on the track. The same driver will find an extra half second or more off his lap times. Why? The desire to push the limits has to be there. Laws of physics don't apply, the limit of adhesion of his tires is a constant (well variable depending on temp, track conditions etc. but that is outside the realm of this discussion) But the driver will find it in himself to push past his previously set beliefs and limits to get that extra bit he needs to catch up.

I'm with AikiDale the only secret to winning is preparing to win. the top athletes in every sport aren't just talented, we all hear about their work ethic. If you want to win you'll be out there more than the next guy.

The only thing I'd like to add to Pat and eagle's statements is that, depending on an individual's Temperament, that may not always be true. I can tell you for certain then when I won my first national championship level match (Bianchi Cup) there was very little concept of "winning" in my mind, ever. All I cared about and focused on in training and in the match was performance. I trained myself to do the best I could within the circumstances of that match, and that's all I was ever concerned with. And when the feeling that I'd won the match overtook me, I was shocked because I realized, at that moment, that I hadn't thought about winning the match. I was just shooting to the best of my ability.

Thinking about your racing example, Pat... when I used to road race motorcycles, my best lap times were usually when I was practicing and I was all by myself. I would get so in tune with the bike sometimes... it was a super cool feeling, cranking around the track, knees dragging the ground, a beautiful evening sky, totally calm and fearless.

And it's funny because I can remember two times in races, when I got so caught up in battling it out with someone, that I ran off the track. :lol:

This talk about winning (goals) versus performance (activity) today is very synchronistic for me because just last night I was talking with bigJoni and she made a comment that triggered this thought - The purpose of what you are doing is lost in the desire to win. I liked it, wrote it down, and told her I was going to put it on the forum today.

;)

Hey BE when I say prepared to win I mean you trained hard in the best way possible. I don't mean preparing for the actual event of winning. I like what you posted, I started shooting because I wanted to master the pistol, and understand what is happening while I shoot. I used to have a horrible flinch that actualy started it all. I haven't searched yet but I think it would be cool to hear how everyone got their start and why they want to get better.

Eric,

Thanks for the post, I was doing the same thing as your example (trying to will the hit instead of the process) I was at the range last night shooting plates, and had quite a noticable improvement. Not only was I better initially, but I cut a second off my time throught the session. This newbie is quite pleased with the results. I started the session thinking under 6 seconds would be good, but my first string was about 6, so I started shooting for 5.5. after about 200 rounds, I my best was 5.14 - close enough to smell a sub 5 time.

Thanks for the post

Am I allowed to use this one as my signature on the Dutch forum?

I'd be honored.

;)

The topic of will is a huge one for me. The power of a person's will should never be underestimated.

I've been spooling on a closely related topic recentl - the influences of "will," attention, and "finishing each part," on the result.

be