Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Electronic scales

chp5

I’m considering buying an electronic scale and I’ve read the relevant threads.

One question: are electronic scales temperature sensitive?

I reload in my garage (not heated or air conditioned) and I live in the Atlanta area. It gets very hot and humid in the summer and somewhat cold in the winter (for a southern boy anyway).

Thanks.

Yes, they are temperature sensitive...but only the calibration is sensitive. I reload in my garage too and have noticed that my calibration will drift as the scale warms up (I have a small forced air heater and a quartz radiant heater that I aim at my body to help me stay warm). I just keep the 5 grain check weight handy and check calibration a lot. The sensitivity/drift is not nearly as bad with the AC supply as it is with battery.

I have used mine down to where the LCD display was rather sluggish and up past 90 degrees and once it settles in it is just fine. I found that if I turned on the scale and let it sit for 10 minutes or so (keep turning it on when it goes into power save if you have that feature) that it would settle in pretty quickly.

I find the digital scale to be far less temperature sensitive than the beam balance was actually.

I have also found that the powder bar on my Dillon is temperature sensitive. As it changes temp the charge weight will change. Not a lot...say 1/10th of a grain from 35 degrees to 50 degrees. I just keep checking things and pulling the handle to stay warm. :)

Oh...and yes, the heaters are a goodly distance from the powder/primers and I check things constantly to make sure they aren't heating up.

This whole dance is why I am building a dedicated reloading room in my shop. :D

Well, mine went through several nights of -30F last winter and while I didn't attempt to use it during that time it came through it just fine. I had not intended to do this and had been carrying it into the house but one day I forgot it and didn't realize it until I went to go out and load again (after it had risen to above zero).

I certainly wouldn't recommend this treatment though.

All transducers are temperature sensitive to some degree - it's just the nature of the beast. In consumer scales, I doubt that anyone puts any type of temperature compensation in.

I really don't think there's a huge danger of freezing the transducer and damaging it. What *will* be damaged by the cold is the LCD display. Very cold temperatures will cause the LCD to bleed and possibly cease functioning all together.

If your working area has wide temperature swings, you will need to periodically re-tare your scale as Kimel has described.

In addition to any temperature variations, also be aware that vibration of the bench you are using will cause the scale to seem erratic and seem to never want to settle out during a calibration cycle.

I also found out that running a couple of fans in my shop help with comfort levels, however, moving air across the weigh pan will cause variations as well as the vibration set up in the bench.

I solved my problems by placing an empty tupperware container over the scale to stop air movement and turned the fans off to prevent vibration errors. I used to wonder why the labratory scales at work were under a glass box and set on a granite base. Now I guess I know.

My scale is a Pact BBKII and like any other scale, once calibrated works great.

Just my $.02 worth.

dj

I once had a problem with a "dirty" line, probably was sharing with a motor or something, but just ran the scale to a different line and it was fine. You do need to recalibrate them if you are in a long reloading session.

Question reagarding the powder weight variance, Is it due to the Dillon changing? or to the accuracy of the scale changing?

chp5, some powders have an affinity towards moisture. THey will absorb it where others are much less sensitive. So I am told.

Jim

I heartily recommend setting your electronic scales on a granite base. I got a cheapy 12inchx12inchx4inch granite base for a dial indicator from Harbor Freight I think. You definately don't want to mail order because it weighs about 50 lbs. You can crank away on the press and it doesn't disturb the scale.

I set a Tuperware Salad bowl over the scale if I have the door open to block any airflow over the scale, but I cut a 4 inch hole in the base of the bowl so I don't have to lift it up to set the pan on the scale.

I'm guessing weather conditions in east Texas aren't to much different from Georgia, and the only problem I've had with my Dillon scale is when there are wide temperature swings between nighttime and daytime temps.

My scale would never finish "testing" until I realized it had been upper 20's or low 30's at night and late in the afternoon it was maybe 70.

I started leaving the scale in the house in this kind of weather and the problem went away.

Of course now that is consistently hot, the scale stays in the shop.

Al

I'd be concerned about variatin in the mosture in the air getting to the powder too.

Flex - what do you mean?

Well, first...I need to check my spelling...

Anyway...Jerry Barnhart talks (on his tapes) about how he "went minor" at a match. He couldn't figure out why (no change in equipment or loading). Finally, he realized that his powder had sat in the powder measure when a bid storm had come thru...and was exposed to humid air.

The moisture effected his power factor.

Humidity isn't my problem. We don't have that here. Well, compared to Phoenix maybe. ;)

I am 99% sure that the weight variation is due to the expansion and contraction of the aluminium powder charge bar and/or the steel adjustment screw in the Dillon. The scale was recalibrated each time and I verified it with a calibrated beam scale as well. I have seen this same phenomenon over the past two years to the point where I can just about predict what the scale will read (after calibration of course) knowing what the temp during the previous loading session was and what the current temp is.

FWIW my RCBS powder measure exhibits similar things during wide temperature swings.

I agree with EricW that the LCDs aren't going to like being cold. That is why I generally bring mine into the house for storage. I once killed an LCD multimeter (el cheapo) by leaving it out in my car overnight when it hit -40F. Next day it was trash.

But I dinna think you see -40F in GA very often. :)