Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scoring question

BJinPass

While scoring a USPSA match today, a question came up on the proper way to score this situation.

The shoot target was in front of a no-shoot target. The shot in question was in the upper B-zone of the shoot target, and while mostly in the B, it broke the non-scoring perforation line, but DID NOT break out of the outer edge of the target and did NOT touch the no-shoot target. I scored this as a B hit. However, another RO insisted this is also a no-shoot, claiming that anything outside the no scoring perforation is technically not on the target in question and therefore touches whatever is behind it.

USPSA Rule 9.5.3 says:

"9.5.3 If a bullet diameter touches the scoring area of both a scoring target and

a no-shoot, it will earn the score and incur the penalty."

While this rule does not describe the situation I am talking about, it describes the situation I don't have. This shot clearly did not touch the scoring area of the no-shoot. I cannot find anything that says this shot should be scored as a B-hit AND a no-shoot.

The attachment shows the scenario. NOTE: the shot DOES NOT break out of the brown area. The black circle represents the shot. The overlay confirmed the shot did not break out of the brown and touch the white. I certainly don't mind being wrong, but I cannot find a rule that indicates I am wrong. Does anyone have a definitive analysis of this shot and a rule to back that up?

Thanks...

post-26711-0-27529800-1326070168_thumb.j

Actually, it did touch the scoring area of the no shoot. For all intents and purposes, the perforated line in the metric target is the border....had the bullet been entirely inside the perforated line, it would only score the hit and no penalty. As part of the bullet was outside of the scoring zone, and hit the no shoot, hit and no shoot penalty.....I had this explained to me for one of my shots in almost the identical scenario....I got the hit and the penalty....

+1 The target edge itself means nothing. The outer perf is for all intents and purposes is the edge of the target. Very clearly a no shoot. Actually it only has to touch the perf to be a no shoot.

Please refer to 9.1.5 (et seq.) ... After you read that, then see also Appendix B3.

The scoring area of a target, be it shoot or no-shoot, is delimited by the line seperating the scoring area from the non-scoring border. Hence, a round which touches or breaks that line earns whatever it strikes behind it. (Note ... A bullet which touches or breaks a line for a non-scoring border IS NOT wholly within the scoring area!)

The correct call for your photo is B/NS.

Edited by Schutzenmeister

• 2 weeks later...

A simple way to look at is what would the call be if the targets were reversed? Breaking the perf on the NS would have given the shooter the B hit even if it did not go outside the outer border of the NS target.

You break the perf and what ever is behind it is also scored.

• 2 weeks later...