Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

627 .38 super compensator?

seanr

Mind over matter???

With my 627 in .38 super the comp that came with it seems to yield better performance when running hotter loads.

I am talking about 140+pf as opposed to the 123-125pf loads I run for ICORE.

Yes I know more gas gets comps working better (such as on a multiport IPSC open auto), but the compensator on the 627 seems to be nothing more than an oval hole...I am amazed it would do anything at all to be honest.

Anyone had similar experience (or with the Vcomps)?

Also is anyone making aftermarket versions of the comp cap that are a multiport design??

Drilling holes or EDMing holes in the barrel of a revolver only makes gas vent off and lowers the speed of the bullet. The same thing can be accomplished by removing some powder and reducing the speed of the bullet. A true "compensator" has a flat surface that actually stops the gas and forces it upward reducing the muzzle flip. The "jet action" of venting via holes or a larger venturi is minimal in comparison.

Below is a 627 with a 6-1/2" Shilen barrel and a true integrated compensator. It works best with hotter loads but I only shoot 130 PF loads and find that it is faster on target without the excessive muzzle blast that a 1300 fps 130 gr RN 38 Super or a .357 round will produce. The bottom gun is just the 5" slab bbl on my other 627 and with my minor load I cannot tell any difference except that the dot gets my 57 year old eyes on further targets better and faster :-)

post-213-0-85987500-1326067085_thumb.jpg

What "seems" to work is the holes being edm'd about 2 inches from the cyinderface and extending out towards the muzzle in a perpendicular fashion and them making ports resembling venturies. I have two 627 38 supers. One has the ports, the other does not. I can feel the difference between the two. And yes the "cap comp" does little or nothing for me. You need bigger face plates for the gasses to hit against to fight the rearward motion. Remembering that we are not talking about recoil abatement just muzzle rise. :ph34r::sight: apples to apples and cold beer to light malts. later rdd

• 1 year later...

I am going to start prototyping a stainless steel comp for the .38 (and maybe eventually a V-Comp). Instinctively, I am thinking an expansion chamber with a blast baffle followed by two additional ports. The first with a racetrack shaped port on the top and the second with a slightly longer and wider port on top and no side ports focusing on muzzle rise not recoil reduction. Starting with the original profile and working up to around 1" in diameter. It will essentially be a larger version of the original with the addition of an extra port and expansion chamber with additional surface area for the gas to impact. Essentially something like this:

F2FA0A29-114B-4510-B645-35A0E4B1C65A_zps

If anyone has any idea about what might work, feels like posting a sketch of an idea, I am open to suggestions. Anything is possible. I have a milling machine, lathe and toolmaking grinder. I also have access to CNC equipment to make more if I find a design that works. I have a lot of 17-4 stainless and Monel. Either way it will end up being hardened and heat treated/tempered for strength. Any input would be appreciated.

Lee

Edited by RevolverJockey

Lee, something that would be nice is a set screw. Even with red loctite mine has come loose a few times. Also it would be nice to be able to remove it to clean around the crown area.

That's something I will look into. With the larger dimensions, it should be possible. Have you tried 620 retaining compound? It is great for semi permanent applications and has a 450 degree release temp but doesn't seem to come loose as often at the red.

Lee

Lee, something that would be nice is a set screw. Even with red loctite mine has come loose a few times. Also it would be nice to be able to remove it to clean around the crown area.

That's something I will look into. With the larger dimensions, it should be possible. Have you tried 620 retaining compound? It is great for semi permanent applications and has a 450 degree release temp but doesn't seem to come loose as often at the red.

Lee

Thanks, I finally used a surface prep activator and that seems to hold with the red loctite.

F2FA0A29-114B-4510-B645-35A0E4B1C65A_zps

If anyone has any idea about what might work...

Make the ports thinner, front to back. Two should be plenty. Leave the front edge of the front port and the rear edge of the rear port where they are so the "baffle" between the ports becomes thicker. You won't have alot of gas volume available and you don't just want to expel it upwards, you want to expel it upward with velocity. The thicker baffle will expel more gas thru the first (rear) port before the bullet clears the baffle letting gas thru the forward port. Edited by Tom E