Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm major barrys bullets

Nightrain

I realize there is tons of data here for major loads.. Was just wondering if anyone has any experience with barrys 9mm 124gr HBRN-TP

For my background.. I am currently building an open gun from a xdm 9mm.. I realize this doesn't even compare with the sti's and limcats but ATM is what I can afford..

I have 10s of thousands of rounds o reloading behind me... Primarily 45 & 357mag.. I have only recently gotten involved in competition and I have always tried to reach for the clouds in all I do

Thanks for any info.. Suggestions for mods I should make to the xdm.. Here is what I have decided to do so far:

Storm Lake 9MM threaded barrel 4/5"

Springer Precision 3 Port Compensator

CARVER Custom XD/XDM Competition Mount*

C-More Slideride *6 MOA*

PistolGear Unlimited Magwell*

CARVER Custom Slideracker*

Springer Precision Custom XDM Uncaptured Guiderod

I'm new to the pistol modification process.. Will this setup work for major.. If not what suggestions do you have?

Thanks for the info

I loaded to major in an M&P's Stormlake threaded barrel quite easily with HS6 and 1.155 OAL loads. Same barrel material, same viability. I can't make any specific suggestions on this topic. I did it with jacketed bullets and lead, not copper plated.

Don't take this to mean that you can safely do it, just stating what I have done.

Edited by Whoops!

Search for Berry's bullets on here. The consensus is they won't cut it at Open velocities. A while back a rep from Berry's came on here and asked if we had any questions. I asked him point blank if they will hold up at 1400+ FPS. He didn't even bother to respond. So I will take that as a NO.

Couple of things about Berry's bullets

1) They are the only bullet manufacturer I know of who advertise at one price, then charge you a surcharge based on spot lead prices, and then charge you again (Doublestruck) if you actually desire your bullets to be the correct size. Last time I bought bullets Montana Gold's were cheaper when bought by the case lot.

2) My experience with them in 9mm and .40 indicates that it is a crapshoot at best whether they start coming apart or tumbling the faster you push them.

Either way there are much better options to choose from. I believe most here would agree that at Open velocities a TMJ/CMJ or HP bullet would be the best choice.

1ST.Sarge

there is a barry's bullets,,only all I see is lead bullets not jacket or plated,,so he does not want to use these in open gun right ????

Well I'll be! I never heard of Barry's Bullets. I just looked them up and yes they are just cast lead bullets. No lead for Open guns. Even exposed lead on the bottoms of FMJ's can gunk up Comps from what I understand. You want to preferably run a bullet that is completely covered with a jacket with the exception of JHP's being good to go. Lead on the tip of the bullet is fine such as the MG IFP.

And don't use Berry bullets in Open guns either. They start to shed the copper in the chamber and very soon your gun is a one shot wonder. Don't ask how I know.

I avoided the issue in my S_I fleet by using 124gr CMJ's get them here: https://www.montanagoldbullet.com/pricelist.html

However if you are possesed to march to a different drummer I've shot these at major velocity without any issues: http://www.bayoubullets.net/products.html (no caca in the com).

Barry's are popular with people that buy one pack of smokes, when they have no plan on quitting, so in bullets if you are a shooter you get them in volume, I know it hurts to plunk down $300+ for a case of bullets but I always order up another one as soon as I open the one I just got.

Zero JHP's were my bullet of choice but when they became as scarce as chicken lips, I quit them.

YMMV

The OP asked about the new 124gn 9mm HPRN-TP Berry bullet. It has a thicker plating and is designed for competition shooters, where velocities can reach 1450fps. I shoot 9mm Major, using 7.6gn of Silhouette powder and achieve 170pf. I used to use 124gn Frontier bullets, but recently changed to the Berry's. I have experienced no signs of tumbling or key holing, and my accuracy remains consistent. The benefits over the Frontiers are the price.

I will add that the bullet is longer and therefore seats deeper. It has a hollow base, which is probably to help prevent powder compression. I was very wary of Berry's given what I had read, but as soon as I saw they had released a competition bullet I decided to give them a try. So far I like them.

The OP asked about the new 124gn 9mm HPRN-TP Berry bullet. It has a thicker plating and is designed for competition shooters, where velocities can reach 1450fps. I shoot 9mm Major, using 7.6gn of Silhouette powder and achieve 170pf. I used to use 124gn Frontier bullets, but recently changed to the Berry's. I have experienced no signs of tumbling or key holing, and my accuracy remains consistent. The benefits over the Frontiers are the price.

I will add that the bullet is longer and therefore seats deeper. It has a hollow base, which is probably to help prevent powder compression. I was very wary of Berry's given what I had read, but as soon as I saw they had released a competition bullet I decided to give them a try. So far I like them.

Thanks saffer.. That was my question.... I was impressed with the description of the product on their website.. Also the design of a longer bullet while maintaining the same weight, plus of course they boast 1450+ fps

I haven't tried the new 124gr HBRN TP (hollow base round nose tripple plated) bullet yet but loaded and shot over 20K of their 124gr RNDS bullets and am very happy with price and results. I buy them in 10K lots and get some discount too, making them cheapest locally available (or mail order) plated bullets as well where I am.

As far as HB design - imho, they did it to make bullet longer and thus increase contact surface to improve stabilization/accuracy. 'Tripple plating' is pretty thick and bullet should shoot fine at 1400fps; I saw cut bullet compared to regular ones.

According to the Berry website (124gr. HBRN TP) they are "THICK PLATED" not "Triple Plated". They say they are good to 1450 fps. This will make major in the 179 PF area loaded to maximum. Might be worth loading some at around 1375 FPS in 38S or 38SC and see what kind of accuracy & PF you get.

According to the Berry website (124gr. HBRN TP) they are "THICK PLATED" not "Triple Plated". They say they are good to 1450 fps. This will make major in the 179 PF area loaded to maximum. Might be worth loading some at around 1375 FPS in 38S or 38SC and see what kind of accuracy & PF you get.

If true, then this Berry's is a departure from their other electroplated offerings which had a thinner (but sufficient) plating.

This new bullet could also approach or match the excellent electroplating on the Gold Dot bullet by Speer. Gold Dot and speer "TMJ" plating is usually thick enough to easily withstand .357 Sig and mag velocity (i.e. - open gun velocity).

NOTE: In general, there is NO fixed limit on velocity for all electroplated bullets; Federal Fusion rifle bullets are electroplated and work fine at 3000+ FPS. The controlling factor is the thickness of the plating.

OP: barrel ports can be tough on plating - especially thinner plating. In my experience, SOME brands of plated bullets can "spit" small particles of plating out of open guns (found this out while RO'ing a friend using such bullets). Not a big issue & he reported accuracy was acceptable. The new Berry's might solve that issue altogether.

Please let us know how these work out for you. This could be a low cost boon - at least for practice ammo if nothing else.

-fan of plated bullets.

Please let us know how these work out for you. This could be a low cost boon - at least for practice ammo if nothing else.

-fan of plated bullets.

Maybe the math just isn't working for me but how can plated bullets that cost 9.5 cents apiece be a low cost boon when compared to premium Montana Gold Jacketed bullets at 8.2 cents apiece?

Maybe the math just isn't working for me but how can plated bullets that cost 9.5 cents apiece be a low cost boon when compared to premium Montana Gold Jacketed bullets at 8.2 cents apiece?

There are places that sell Berry's for less that Berry's sells direct. Even with shipping it comes out 7.9-8.1 cents each depending how many they can fit in a USPS flat rate box. Not much of a savings, but it's good to have choices if one source has a supply problem or a price changes.

Another consideration is the fact that plated bullets typically take less powder than jacketed to drive to the same velocity. Assuming that the plated bullet can handle the velocity, less powder can make life easier especially if the difference between plated and jacketed means a compressed jacketed load with the attendant seating inconsistencies, etc.

One of the reasons plated bullets get a bad rap is reloading technique. (Let's be clear, they are not equal to jacketed)

Many reloaders still feel the need to use a substantial crimp. Lead and most jacketed bullets can tolerate this. Plated bullets often will not.

With crimping, the case mouth is being pressed into the thin plating and can create a weakness or crack. Once extruded through the barrel, that crack can turn into a tear and shed jacket material. Instead of a group, you wind up with a pattern.

Case wall tension alone should hold them in place. The crimp die needs to return the case mouth belling to flush.

Case wall tension alone should hold them in place. The crimp die needs to return the case mouth belling to flush.

Unfortunately case wall tension is rarely enough to provide insurance against occasional bullet setback.

When run in a semiauto at a pace where bullet setback can be catastrophic, all of my loads get crimp until it is difficult to change the OAL with strong thumb pressure against the bench. If the bullet can't handle that, then it is time for a change of bullets.

• 1 month later...

-fan of plated bullets.

Well now. No one has EVER accused me of being good at math!