Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone else use a Para LDA in Production?

Krag

I've used a Para 18.9 LDA in Production for the past four years and LOVE it! Before that I used Glocks and for a short time a Beretta Elite. The Para gives me everything you need for Production in a 1911 configuration so it's similar to my Limited and S.S. guns. I recently found out that Para no longer offers a full sized LDA, only compact CCW pistols. Too bad........... :angry2:

Actually the trigger on my 18.9 LDA is about 50 ounces and a lot smoother than a DA revolver. But I cut my shooting teeth on revolvers and still use them for steel matches so it's second nature to me.

I tried and hated it. Same as shooting revolver.

Demetrio.

I tried and hated it. Same as shooting revolver.

Demetrio.

Not even close.

I had a LDA that I used when I shot Production, which was 2 or 3 times a year.

Most of the time I shoot Revo. Let me tell you that there is a BIG difference in breaking down a stage in groups of 6. Having 10 rounds is like shooting high caps.

+1 on 71's comment about revolver being different. You want a challenge try running a stage reloading every 6 rounds. There are damn few make up shots. Either you hit or you don't. As a 65 year old I still get significant satisfaction beating 30-40% of the field w/ my Carmonized 625. :cheers:

Shooting revolver is somewhat like dating a full figured, less than stunning woman

-it's comfortable

-it will almost never disappoint you

-it's not finicky

-you can feed it nearly anything

-it doesn't care much about OAL

-it's stout, reliable, and durable

-you don't need to clean it much

-you can dryfire it all the time

I've used a Para 18.9 LDA in Production for the past four years and LOVE it! Before that I used Glocks and for a short time a Beretta Elite. The Para gives me everything you need for Production in a 1911 configuration so it's similar to my Limited and S.S. guns. I recently found out that Para no longer offers a full sized LDA, only compact CCW pistols. Too bad........... :angry2:

How is the reliability of your LDA? My buddy was hot to trot to shoot them in IDPA SSP but both of his suffered from a series on technical problems so he got frustrated and go rid of them.

I have had a Para 16.40 LTD and I also had a few problems so I dumped mine too.

• 3 weeks later...

I wasn't even aware that this platform was USPSA Production until recently. I handled one last week at SHOT Show and I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised at how smooth the trigger was.

It is too bad that Para has decided to stop the production of these pistols. Nonetheless, if I ever was lucky enough to find one in the used market for cheap, I would certainly give it a try in Production.

I had one and even though I had the supper dupper trigger job on it I never could get use to it.

What didn't you like about it? Was it just the trigger reset or was there something else?

Yeah the long reset was the worst part. Then I had a smith (will not say his name) do a trigger job on it. Not reliable at all had to ship it back and still never got it to where I liked it.

Had one and really didn't care for it. Kind of like combining all the reliability of a low-end 1911 with the trigger of a Glock. Mine had some FTF's and I could never warm to the trigger. I really wanted to like that pistol but ended up selling it to fund my CZ Shadow. I like the Shadow much more.

• 3 months later...

I have the P18-9LDA Limited - excellent accuracy and reliability. One has to familiarize onself with the unigue long double reset of the PO LDA trigger.

Edited by TonyT

Then I had a smith (will not say his name) do a trigger job on it.

How light of a trigger can be achieved on one of these and still have them be dependable?

I handled one done by Bob Marvel and it was amazing, I would say it broke at less than 2lbs. I've often though about sending mine to him.

I had one 8 or 9 years ago. The trigger was light and smooth and it was heavy like I want. The magwell was really square and didn't taper well and the reset was really long. It shot great but that reset was the real killer for me. I shoot a Shadow now and would have then if the SP01 existed back then.