Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 mag well

open67

There is another mag well design going to be released very soon. This is one variation of the proto types being done.

Rich

Will this require frame modification?

Pretty good. It's the steep angles that guide the magazine into the gun, not just help get it to the opening. I think at a minimum all 1911's should be fit with a 2011 main spring housing.

Why 2011 MSH?

There is another mag well design going to be released very soon. This is one variation of the proto types being done.

Rich

Will this require frame modification?

Pretty good. It's the steep angles that guide the magazine into the gun, not just help get it to the opening. I think at a minimum all 1911's should be fit with a 2011 main spring housing.

Why 2011 MSH?

Yes, the frame will have to be modified. The problem with most mag wells that require no frame mods is the well angle is too flat. When it's too flat there isn't a funnel effect, the mag can hit the side of the well and it isn't automatically directed into the frame. To get the funnel effect the mag well will add too much height to fit into the box.

The mag well can be used with any type of main spring housing. With the design I'm doing the profile can be used as is or changed to fit the shooters needs, closed front, open front, decrease the width, open up the angle more, change the height,......

Rich

Funny. Now that you said it Rich, people will believe it. I've been telling people that for three years. I've run into much flack about needing to modify the frame. Using the 2011 MSH eliminates the possibility of an ugly gap between the msh and frame when you mill the opening up. The lip of it sits on the bridge not behind it. Milling the frame at that steep angle will leave a very thin lead edge.

Funny. Now that you said it Rich, people will believe it. I've been telling people that for three years. I've run into much flack about needing to modify the frame. Using the 2011 MSH eliminates the possibility of an ugly gap between the msh and frame when you mill the opening up. The lip of it sits on the bridge not behind it. Milling the frame at that steep angle will leave a very thin lead edge.

yep.....just quit saying it

plus that edge keeps getting beat up and rolled over.

I was just answering the question from Punished.

LOL, thanks guys.

So I should hold off on buying another dawson ice then.... I prefer arched MSH, so as long as I can keep rocking that then I will be ready for a new magwell.

I haven't had a single issue with the ICE. If I botch a mag change it is usually due to my grip on the mag being terrible. I paint the inside of my magwell white, and I aim for the blackhole, so to speak.

Edited by Punished

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I put a Dawson Ice on my Kimber, along with their base pads on my 47D mags. The magwell was so big I had a LOT of problems with not driving the mag seated all the way. Changed to a S&A magwell, and life has been good. :cheers:

• 4 weeks later...

I just installed a techwell TGO on my STI Trojan and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! This is THE magwell I have been looking for! I've used the Dawson, Wilson, S&A and the Techwell is great!

I just installed a TGO on my Trojan as well and it is the best magwell I have had so far. it matches the factory bevel quite nicely. just when I thought I was fast with my SA magwell. I can't wait for the next match.