Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 mag well

open67

Ok, hate to ask this but I am going to shoot SSTK next season and have an SV on my gun. Would love to see a few pics of the 'business' end of the above poster's competition guns to get an idea. All of the promo shots don't show much.

Thanks!

Cheers623

DVC

I think having a magwell that does NOT have a cut out in the front is ideal. The approach angles are key too. Generally, most magwells have very shallow angles (Dawson).

The question is, would you permanently modify your frame if it meant the absolute best performance? I would use my 1911 to drive nails (literally, like a hammer) if it meant match wins.

post-8536-0-49304000-1324993686_thumb.jp

Actually it fits IDPA and USPSA SS boxes with plenty of room.

This is 'in the white' before type III ano and Ionbond. Both of which have lasted well over the years. Mag in gun is a standard CMC with standard base pad.

post-8536-0-40902400-1325011761_thumb.jp

Edited by want2race

Very similar to installing a weld on magwell. The frame is shortened a little, except the area around the MS housing pin hole. The area of the frame that is removed is replaced by the magwell. I've installed one with a 10" bastard hand file but a mill is quicker. Going into the frame is what allows the velocity stack type angles. Wide at the mouth, steep further in. If I can get some of these made I may just call them Velocity Stack magwells. Velocity stacks on engine intakes increase the flow of air to get a better charge into the combustion chamber. Some theory, but for a 1911.

Frame modificaiton is like swallowing the blue pill, there is no turning back. Then again, these are just tools of enjoyment. (This from the guy that took a hacksaw to a 2011 and shortened it.) They are all just tools.

I had a Tech well, and didn't care for it.

I have a Dawsen, and really don't care for it because the mag is just about flush with the magwell.

I have an aluminum SVI, that I ground a little bit off the bottom, so my base pads stick out more. :cheers:

There is another mag well design going to be released very soon. This is one variation of the proto types being done.

Rich

Pretty good. It's the steep angles that guide the magazine into the gun, not just help get it to the opening. I think at a minimum all 1911's should be fit with a 2011 main spring housing.

Shaun's 1911 is probably one of the ugliest best working guns I've ever seen :roflol:Just kidding. His gun has home made grips, magwell, and I'm sure other parts I can't think of right now, but it just works! There is a reason he is my smith. My gun would have one of his magwells also if I wasn't such a sissy about permanent modifications :ph34r: