Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to Change Diet

Tizzo

Dr. Mercola has a ton of good information on supplements. From what I can gather, a good quality krill oil would be number one on my list. Vitacost is a very good source for reasonably priced, good quality supplements. Vitamin D is probably the number one most important vitamin--and there is simply no supplement that will do a very good job of giving you what you need. You pretty much have to get vitamin D from exposure to sunlight! I think Mercola's vitamin D supplement is as good as you get though.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought I'd update.

I decided to start the Mark Sisson version of the Paleo diet(or simply way of eating for life). I'm following his 80/20 rule at the moment with exercise and some intermittent fasting as well.

Since I started Feb 1, I've lost 12 lbs. with very little additional intense workouts. At the moment the most intense I get is a match or two of racquetball. In the coming weeks I'll be upping the number of workout days and work on my food choices when not at home.

Some pluses I've notice besides the weight loss are: more energy throughout the day, I don't wake up tired (and generally sleep better), and I can go longer, if I want to, in the gym.

Any plan is a good plan , Or better than nothing. Change your Head first get it in your Head that you want to change.

I did a change in 1982 I decided to change several things in my life. I have an every day reminder of that commitment /Promise to my self. in nearly 30 years I have not broken my promise.

I am glad to be rid of that person I used to be.

Think about something about your life that you want to be better at, and tie that to your diet plan

• 2 weeks later...

A good diet is cut back on the quanity of food at each sitting, cut out sugars, sodas, red meat, and dairy. Eat more white meat, and vegtables for snacks eat fruit and vegtables. Along with the diet do exercise.

A good diet is cut back on the quanity of food at each sitting, cut out sugars, sodas, red meat, and dairy. Eat more white meat, and vegtables for snacks eat fruit and vegtables. Along with the diet do exercise.

Why no red meat?

Why no red meat?

I don't think I'd ever give up red meat. Especially after giving up potatoes.

Update, by the by. I've lost 16 lbs. since Feb 1.

Why no red meat?

I don't think I'd ever give up red meat. Especially after giving up potatoes.

Well, here's the thing - factory meat (red or otherwise, but the issue shows up much more prevalently in red meat) contains a disturbingly high ratio of Omega-6 to Omega-3 fatty acids, due to the abnormal diet these cows are fed. The ratio in nature, in grass fed cows, is normally somewhere between 1:1 to 2:1 n-6 to n-3. In factory (ie, the stuff you normally buy in the store, or get served in a restaurant) beef, the ratio is more like 50:1 to 60:1. n-6 is pro-inflammatory (you need both pro- and anti-inflammatory constituents in your diet for things to work properly), and when taken so far out of balance with n-3s tends to promote higher inflammatory states in the body. That tends to start a cascade of other badness, especially when couple with the USDA recommended high carbohydrate diet.

You can offset that by taking n-3s separately (fish oil is one way folks use a lot), or you can eat grass fed beef, or something like that.

It's not the red meat that's the problem - it's what the cows have been fed (because it's cheap, subsidized feed, and it fattens them up quickly...) that causes all the problems, in the end. Eat well fed beef and the problem goes away naturally ;)

Nicely done! I'll bet you're feeling a lot better, too? cheers.gif

Nicely done! I'll bet you're feeling a lot better, too? cheers.gif

For sure, I've been sleeping a lot better as well.

Made some pretty good progress here but what kills me is my job has me basically living out of my car and pretty much the only thing your gonna get out of a drivethrough or gas station is loaded with carbs. So I while i wouldnt recommend it, I went with the pretty much if you cant eat something right, dont compromise philosophy. So the low carb bar, shake or small bag of nuts have been made a meal several times. Not filling at all but takes the edge off is about it

It is amazing how different you feel from diet. I am a health food addict! I get totally out of sorts and can physically feel it when I eat junk. I get tired and my mood is less than stellar. I am 100% gluten free and have been for awhile and like 95% dairy free (meaning I normally don't eat dairy but will make an exception once in awhile. I also eat very little sugar. My rule is if is processed, don't eat it. I have thought about doing the paleo diet. Any advice?

It is amazing how different you feel from diet. I am a health food addict! I get totally out of sorts and can physically feel it when I eat junk. I get tired and my mood is less than stellar. I am 100% gluten free and have been for awhile and like 95% dairy free (meaning I normally don't eat dairy but will make an exception once in awhile. I also eat very little sugar. My rule is if is processed, don't eat it. I have thought about doing the paleo diet. Any advice?

Sounds like you're basically there, dive in and give it a shot. I've been doing paleo probably around 70/30 right now. There's no other way than to just give it a go and adjust your choices accordingly to fit within your lifestyle.

I know what you mean. It's a little frustrating, though, because I really miss big plates of pasta with cream sauces, piles of white rice, and potatoes. But the blah feeling I get when I have the occasional indulgence keeps me from straying to often.

FWIW, I've had great success just by using an iPhone app to track what I eat and cutting out the obvious offenders: High carbs and high sugars. I'm down 75+ lbs and wearing sizes I haven't worn since grad school (20+ years ago). That's worth more than a regular diet of Fettucine Chicken Alfredo or Papa John's Pizza.

I have thought about doing the paleo diet. Any advice?

You're pretty much there already, sounds like :) If you're not eating sugar, not eating processed foods, gluten-free... that's pretty damn clean already! cheers.gif You'd have to tell me what you're eating for me to tell you specifically what you'd have to alter - and then we'd have to talk about what "flavor" of Paleo you'd intend to do (because there are variations), blah blah blah. But, I'm not sure what level of improvement you'd see over what you've already got (cause you've got all the big ones already handled).

I know what you mean. It's a little frustrating, though, because I really miss big plates of pasta with cream sauces, piles of white rice, and potatoes. But the blah feeling I get when I have the occasional indulgence keeps me from straying to often.

FWIW, I've had great success just by using an iPhone app to track what I eat and cutting out the obvious offenders: High carbs and high sugars. I'm down 75+ lbs and wearing sizes I haven't worn since grad school (20+ years ago). That's worth more than a regular diet of Fettucine Chicken Alfredo or Papa John's Pizza.

Keep up the good work Barry! :cheers:

Wow, this really inspired me. I have not gained weight in many years, but I have not lost any either, and need to loose several inches.

I have a couple friends that lost a lot of weight and really improved their blood work numbers on something called the "Ideal Protein" weight loss system. Ideal Protein It basically puts you into ketosis, so you loose the fat you need to loose, then helps retrain you how to eat and change your old eating habits.

I am not convinced that it is the ultimate way to loose weight, but I am convinced that I do not want take the chances of developing all the health problems associated with being overweight.

I signed up yesterday, and started today. I will be interested to see how I do. In the meantime, I am going to learn more about the paleo diet you are discussing. It sounds very interesting.

I am also with bbbean's philosophy "track what I eat and cutting out the obvious offenders: High carbs and high sugars. I'm down 75+ lbs and wearing sizes I haven't worn since grad school (20+ years ago). That's worth more than a regular diet of Fettucine Chicken Alfredo or Papa John's Pizza."

Right now, I just do not have the patience... I am 49 years old, it's harder to loose weight than it used to be. I have stopped chewing, over a month, cold turkey, and have not gained any weight, but am still fighting that demon, and figure I may as well go for broke.

+1 on Dr. Mercola, Krill Oil, and CoQ10.

Good luck, good job, and thanks for the inspiration.

WG

Edited by Wild Gene

Great job on the weight loss everyone!

My wife and I started a Primal (Paleo) lifestyle last June and I have lost just around 100lbs while my wife has lost 65. Running and gunning is a lot easier without what amounts to my 9yo daughter and 6yo son on my back... haha

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, this really inspired me. I have not gained weight in many years, but I have not lost any either, and need to loose several inches.

I have a couple friends that lost a lot of weight and really improved their blood work numbers on something called the "Ideal Protein" weight loss system. Ideal Protein It basically puts you into ketosis, so you loose the fat you need to loose, then helps retrain you how to eat and change your old eating habits.

I am not convinced that it is the ultimate way to loose weight, but I am convinced that I do not want take the chances of developing all the health problems associated with being overweight.

I signed up yesterday, and started today. I will be interested to see how I do. In the meantime, I am going to learn more about the paleo diet you are discussing. It sounds very interesting.

I am also with bbbean's philosophy "track what I eat and cutting out the obvious offenders: High carbs and high sugars. I'm down 75+ lbs and wearing sizes I haven't worn since grad school (20+ years ago). That's worth more than a regular diet of Fettucine Chicken Alfredo or Papa John's Pizza."

Right now, I just do not have the patience... I am 49 years old, it's harder to loose weight than it used to be. I have stopped chewing, over a month, cold turkey, and have not gained any weight, but am still fighting that demon, and figure I may as well go for broke.

+1 on Dr. Mercola, Krill Oil, and CoQ10.

Good luck, good job, and thanks for the inspiration.

WG

Ok, one month later, I am down 20 lbs., my % body and visceral fat is down and have not lost muscle. I am down about 7 inches (neck, arm, thigh, chest, waist, hips).

WG

Ok, one month later, I am down 20 lbs., my % body and visceral fat is down and have not lost muscle. I am down about 7 inches (neck, arm, thigh, chest, waist, hips).

WG

Nice job Gene!

I'm now almost 3 months in. I've lost 30 lbs and 2 pant sizes. Just today I sold my CR Speed belt because it didn't fit :surprise: Now I need to get a new belt!

Great job on the weight loss everyone!

My wife and I started a Primal (Paleo) lifestyle last June and I have lost just around 100lbs while my wife has lost 65. Running and gunning is a lot easier without what amounts to my 9yo daughter and 6yo son on my back... haha

Wow, way to go. I am down 15 and looking to lose another 7.