Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can I shoot 9x19 in a 9x21 barrel?

Demetrio

Well, I shoot Production and that's the problem: I cannot import a 9mm pistol in Brazil (9x19), but I can import a 9x21 instead.

On the other side, there is no how to buy 9x21 brass here in my country, but I have a huge amount of 9x19 cases for reloading here.

So I was wondering: would there be any problem by shooting 9x19 cartridges in a 9x21 barrel? How about chances for malfunction by doing so?

Thanks,

Demetrio.

Edited by Demetrio

That should be switchable if it is legal to do so.

But the problem remains the same: if I cannot import a 9x19 pistol here in my country, I won't be allowed to import only the barrel either. :(

Edited by Demetrio

Spacer might be tough. That will also give a long leade length. Would be easier to fabricate brass. With enough time and money I'm sure the chamber could be drilled out and a completely new 9x19 chamber inserted. I've seen two piece barrels before.

You would be relying on the extractor to hold the cartridge for the FP to hit the primer. Having the same OAL doesn't change the leade lenght. The rifling gradually starts after headspace ring. If the x19 goes off in the x21 chamber the bullet will have quite a bit of freespace before hitting the lands. Gas will be going around the bullet as soon as it leaves the case.

Here's another thought. Cut down 5.56 brass. Although if you can't have 9x19, you might not be able to have .223/5.56 brass either. The diameters are closer than the length difference between 19mm and 21mm. The cut down 5.56 case would fit the 9x21 chamber like .40 in a stock Glock barrel (just a tad loose). Plus, once you shoot them, they'll expand to the chamber anyway. The difference is around .015". Easy, no. Easier than rechambering for 9x19 though. No match would be a "lost brass" match for you...LOL

You would be relying on the extractor to hold the cartridge for the FP to hit the primer. Having the same OAL doesn't change the leade lenght. The rifling gradually starts after headspace ring. If the x19 goes off in the x21 chamber the bullet will have quite a bit of freespace before hitting the lands. Gas will be going around the bullet as soon as it leaves the case.

Here's another thought. Cut down 5.56 brass. Although if you can't have 9x19, you might not be able to have .223/5.56 brass either. The diameters are closer than the length difference between 19mm and 21mm. The cut down 5.56 case would fit the 9x21 chamber like .40 in a stock Glock barrel (just a tad loose). Plus, once you shoot them, they'll expand to the chamber anyway. The difference is around .015". Easy, no. Easier than rechambering for 9x19 though. No match would be a "lost brass" match for you...LOL

That is not true. The cartridges are loaded to the same OAL and the bullet will be in the same location in the chamber.

Some folks have shot thousands of 9x19 in a 9x21 gun with no issues at all. It is however headspacing off the extractor and could cause problems down the road.

I have a friend who cuts down .38 supercomp to 9x21 length and aside from needing to change to load to suit the different internal capacity it seems to work pretty well. I wouldn't recommend doing this but if you have few other options it may be something to try.

A friend of mine down in Florida was sponsored by EAA back in the early 90's. His open gun (EAA/Tanfoglio) had a 9x21 barrel, he shot and continues to shoot 9x19 through it. Well over 100,000 rounds so far, he's had no issues. Even if you had to replace the extractor, on the Tanfoglio's, they are super easy to do and very cheap.

Good luck

I sent my 9MM barrel in my Match and had it reamed to 9x23 Winchester. Cost $50.00 here in the states. Winchester still makes 9x23 ammo. If i understand the law about owning a 9mm chambered gun in your country and If a 9x21 is legal the 9x23 will be also. The Match shoots 9x23 like the factory made the gun -- using 38 Super mags.

I'd have to try shooting 9mm in the gun first.

I've shot quite a bit of 9x19 major through a Tanfoglio 9x21 barrel, I've never had any issues. Yes, it is headspacing with the extractor, but I wouldn't be surprised if that didn't happen a lot anyway, despite the way it is "supposed" to work.

Bingo.

Like Al mentioned, I know plenty of guys that have shot x19 in x21 barrels with no trouble. Another viable option would be if you reload, order the gun in .40 and download it down to minor. Ipsc has the 15 round limit now, so I expect you can get 15 rounds of .40 in the stock 3? Just a thought.

Thank you all for the replies. I think I have how to get a good amount of 5.56 brasses over here and cut them down to the lenght of 9x21, like want2race suggested. B)

Jody, I don't like the idea of shooting Production with .40. I think 9mm is the perfect caliber for this division, but, like I said before, there is no way to import a 9x19 gun here in my country, so I think a 9x21 will be the way to go.

Cheers,

Demetrio.

Edited by Demetrio

• 2 weeks later...

Are you getting any erosion in the chamber at all? If you have fired that many rounds with no problems, I'd consider trying it myself as I have two 9x21 open guns, and brass is hard to come by. The only reason I mentioned minor pf .40 as I have heard of guys doing it with fantastic success and have developed some very soft shooting loads.

Edited by Jody Waring

Yes, you are right. The load is really hot but it's not a problem for my Glock. A friend of mine used the same ammo on a CZ75 SP01 and broke the extractor after about 2000 rounds but we are not sure is due to ammo.

If you need 9x21 brass i can search them for you, they are really cheap here.